Russell Wilson "fine without Tate" links add to Unger interv

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I want to 100% believe Russell, but I think there could be some hiccups early with some of the new guys. I Tate was our best jump ball guy, who fills in there? And also, who is gonna replace Golden as our punt returner?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I loved tate, maybe my favorite hawk while he was here - but he wasn't nearly as clutch as baldwin. Too many games where tate would pretty much disappear.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1q1xcvae said:
I want to 100% believe Russell, but I think there could be some hiccups early with some of the new guys. I Tate was our best jump ball guy, who fills in there? And also, who is gonna replace Golden as our punt returner?

Add you have been doing so good lately. :)

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I thought our best jumpball guy was Kearse in contested situations. Baldwin had a few as well that were probably right on par with Tate, but Kearse can really outmuscle and box out defenders. He's probably the widest, stoutest WR we have (that actually plays) and he uses it well to go with underrated body control in the air.

[youtube]7b1Dc03OEfU[/youtube]

That TD against Indy, in particular, is an all pro WR type of catch. No other WR we have on the entire roster could have even muscled and hand fought by that defender while tightroping the sideline like he did on that play. Sidney couldn't have either. He's not strong enough.

Maybe Bates gets to that point. He's actually bigger than Kearse, but hasn't been able to get to the 53.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2sft4ozn said:
I loved tate, maybe my favorite hawk while he was here - but he wasn't nearly as clutch as baldwin. Too many games where tate would pretty much disappear.

In Tate's defense, he was usually lining up against the other team's #1 CB. I'm not sure any of the other WRs would have fared any better.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I think we'll miss Tate as a run blocker downfield a lot more than we will miss him as a receiver.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":7w4pa7ui said:
I think we'll miss Tate as a run blocker downfield a lot more than we will miss him as a receiver.

Baldwin is a great blocker, so are Jermaine Kearse, Kevin Norwood, and Phil Bates. Also, I think we will see Luke WIllson in the slot a lot more.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Tate was great

But alas it's too late

He chose a new fate.

We'll win without him at any rate.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Baldwin: 13th in DYAR, 2nd in DVOA 33.3%
Kearse: 26.2% DVOA

Tate: 24th in DYAR, 19th in DVOA 12.9%

Yeah, I think we'll move on without missing a beat.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Last year we had only 3 proven WR's at the start of the season, Baldwin, Tate and Rice.

This year we have also have three proven receivers, Baldwin, Kearse and Harvin..........as well as two very capable rookies that'll contribute from day #1. Which year would you take?

Lithium

Reaction score
Golden is my favorite football player EVER, and I think we'll just fine without him.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I think we will miss Tate more as a punt returner than a receiver. I liked Golden for sure and was sad to see him go, but he was not a megatron type player. I think Baldwin has shown he can make big plays and this is the position he played in college. I think our WR's will be better this year than last, whomever the rest of the crew ends up being.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tate did a great job for us but the one thing that always bugged me about him was his lack of upper body definition. He had such strong hands and was a good run blocker but it was just incongruent with how his torso looked.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The last couple of years, Tate was very good for us. He was scrappy. But he wasn't the only receiver who is scrappy. I don't understand the tendency people have to either underrate his contribution here (we won't miss him) or overrate it (he was the only one who could ______ ).

He was a contributor, and I'm glad he got a ring with us. I wish him luck in his new digs except when he plays us. His departure is a loss for our receiving corps -- but it's a loss that is more than made up for by a healthy Percy and likely contributions from others.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree with the folks saying we're going to miss Tate the most on ST's.

We don't even have a proven punt returner to replace him. As for the WR aspect, I think Norwood will get his share of jump balls this year.

Personally, I think Harvin will produce more consistently. Norwood has a ton of potential and so far in camp is producing. Kearse should get better. So far in TC, Baldwin has looked on fire. Richardson brings a vertical element we didn't have last year.

I like our WR situation a ton more this year than last year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Without Tate we don't win the Rams Monday Night game. I don't believe any other player we have would have adjusted to that pass and made that play.

I think we'll be fine, but I just hope we don't run into any more situations like that where Tate would be the only guy to step up.

He did disappear a lot, which makes me think we won't miss him. But then I watch highlights from last year and there were times he would show up and make a catch that I don't think anyone else would have made. And it makes me nervous.