Punt Returner?

ZornwasaleftY

Reaction score
I know there have been a few ideas about this years PR? - Earl? Richardson? Any idea after a week of camp?

I have a feeling this is the one place we will really miss GT.

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks know right now. Preseason will likely determine the PR.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm going to guess Richardson with Baldwin as my second.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Lockette's a burner, why not him? I get nervous thinking about Baldwin or Thomas returning punts. We really need our position guys where they're at.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd love to see Earl doing it, but I trust Papa Pete to put out whomever he truly thinks is the best man for the job.

God, it's great having legitimately warranted 100% faith in everything your head coach does.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36sx394l said:
I'd love to see Earl doing it, but I trust Papa Pete to put out whomever he truly thinks is the best man for the job.

God, it's great having legitimately warranted 100% faith in everything your head coach does.
Yeah, that is a pretty cool thing to have. ...and the Hawks have lots of options in this case, and most of them good! :)

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
What makes you nervous, PlinytheCenter? If it's perceived injury risk, hopefully Roland will chime in again on this topic with the charts from one of the advanced stat sites showing that PRs are no more hazardous than most of the other positions. If it's because you think playing a return role will impact a player's ability to play their primary position, then that raises a simple but interesting question. Does it really affect a given person's play enough to warrant starting a lesser return man instead? That's a tough one to answer accurately.

Perfundle

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":a4a2fvd2 said:
What makes you nervous, PlinytheCenter? If it's perceived injury risk, hopefully Roland will chime in again on this topic with the charts from one of the advanced stat sites showing that PRs are no more hazardous than most of the other positions. If it's because you think playing a return role will impact a player's ability to play their primary position, then that raises a simple but interesting question. Does it really affect a given person's play enough to warrant starting a lesser return man instead? That's a tough one to answer accurately.
I don't think it's necessarily the exact chance of risk that people are worried about, but that there's a chance at all. Fans are going to tear Carroll to pieces if a key player does end up getting hurt returning punts, so they would rather not have to sweat it out every time a punt needs to be returned. I wonder if Cardinals fans felt the same way about Peterson, especially since he wasn't even that good at returning punts the last two years.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I like the idea of letting Earl put the exclamation point on a defensive stop by putting the ball in his hands. He's always so jacked up after big plays... heck, he's jacked up after little plays! Let him take that energy out on giving the ball back to our offense. Or better yet, taking it to the house. :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
As of now, it looks like it will be Earl or Sherm. Richardson doesn't even seem to be in the discussion anymore. Doesn't seem like there are any dark horse candidates except maybe Baldwin and a couple dudes who won't make the team.

I foresee lots and lots of handwringing over this.

sturg78

Reaction score
No thank you to earl and sherm. I would like DBFresh there over them. Has CMike any experience with it? Any chance we get a ST ace after cuts?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Word is from Training Camp, that Earl is getting most of the reps, and he's considered the 1st guy. Personally, I'd like to see what he can bring.

After that, it's going to be Harvin. He's expressed a desire to do it, and has been working hard at it, from what I read. Harvin would be freaking epic back there, but I honestly think he's going to get more than enough reps and contact on offense.

I can't remember the last time I saw a punt returner get hurt. And I watch a LOT of football.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
ZornwasaleftY":2kqir3w1 said:
I know there have been a few ideas about this years PR? - Earl? Richardson? Any idea after a week of camp?

I have a feeling this is the one place we will really miss GT.

I honestly miss Leon Washington. It was nice having a guy who kicked ass at both Kick and Punt Returners without sacrificing any of your actual offensive or defensive players.

As for Earl or Sherm. I want my star defensive players who just signed big contracts giving hits, not taking them. Especially Sherm, given his persona, the last thing you want is some special teamer doing his team a favor and making it a point to try and take Sherm out of the game. Hell look at what the Saints did to Harvin in the playoffs, imagine if it was Sherm running with the ball.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Earl is listed as the PR for the game. 2nd on the depth chart is Sherman. 3rd is Richardson.

Looks like they are going to do it.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Considering how many punt there were on Sunday and considering our defense, we could see quite a few punt returns on Thursday.

Really don't want $50 mill guaranteed taking shots back there. Not to mention how integral those two are to our defense.

General Manager

Reaction score
Earl and Sherm returning punts i'll be surprised if that really happens Thursday in Denver.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
When will the Earl Thomas punt return experiment be over? They are not honestly planning to continue with this are they? Seems like very poor risk management. Earl Thomas is probably the most important player on the team other than Russell Wilson and you have him out there taking hits?

I cringed when I saw Earl Thomas dancing around and jumping in the air on a punt return.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I wish Phil Bates would get a shot at punt returning, I think he is a better receiver than Walters, but we might have to keep Walters for his return ability.

TruHammer07

Reaction score
ETs a football player isn't he? I have no problem with it from that standpoint, only issues is that he might not be very good at it and also may be too winded after a long defensive stand, tho those dont typically end in a punt, more like a FG. Why isnt PHarvin the punt returner? Heard he cant track the ball well? Super bowl proved that, oh well he still housed it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I still don't understand why Pete's not giving Percy tons of reps at punt returning.

I understand it's totally different that KO return, but he's the most dynamic athlete in the league, why not work him hard at punt returning? Seems like such a better option than ET or someone else with zero experience AND is a vital part of our defense.