Article: How can Seahawks repeat?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Article by La Canfora...

Behind the scenes, Schneider and coach Pete Carroll are looking for subtle ways to keep the team's fire lit. The war against complacency is being fought on the field and in the meeting rooms, and few coaches have had the pulse of a team better than Carroll since his return to the NFL, while Schneider does yeoman's work culling the roster and doling out savvy contracts.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -champions

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":107mx6zr said:
Article by La Canfora...

Behind the scenes, Schneider and coach Pete Carroll are looking for subtle ways to keep the team's fire lit. The war against complacency is being fought on the field and in the meeting rooms, and few coaches have had the pulse of a team better than Carroll since his return to the NFL, while Schneider does yeoman's work culling the roster and doling out savvy contracts.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -champions
Richardson as Donald Driver? I would be fine with that.:)

kearly

Reaction score
I hope I am overreacting. But watching these preseason games (not just Seattle) the new rules emphasis makes playing pass defense much harder which means it will be more difficult to win games purely through game control. Anyone think the Hawks will beat Rodgers 14 to 12 in week 1 with these current rules? I sure as hell don't. Seattle is gonna need to score, though the good news is that I think our offense will be more than up to the challenge so long as it remains healthy in critical areas.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":6atn698v said:
I hope I am overreacting. But watching these preseason games (not just Seattle) the new rules emphasis makes playing pass defense much harder which means it will be more difficult to win games purely through game control. I think to repeat Seattle will need to lean on offense more than last year, at least until they get to the postseason when hopefully some sanity will be restored to officiating.

Or to put it another way, in the 2014 environment which is going to favor offense so much, it will probably be better to blast opponents than to choke them out with a game plan built around attrition. I would be pretty surprised if Seattle locks down Rodgers in week 1. Seattle is going to need to score 25+ to win that game I think.

It's a good thing GB's secondary and linebackers look terrible in coverage, then. (At least from what I saw in preseason against the Rams.)

Personally, even with the new rules, I still don't expect GB to score more than 21 points. Seattle can punish their receivers before YAC, and that should get the alligator arms going. I think that's just as, if not more, important than great blanket coverage - it sure seems to me that covers up a lot of the errors for the LoB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3micitdg said:
I hope I am overreacting. But watching these preseason games (not just Seattle) the new rules emphasis makes playing pass defense much harder which means it will be more difficult to win games purely through game control. I think to repeat Seattle will need to lean on offense more than last year, at least until they get to the postseason when hopefully some sanity will be restored to officiating.
Kearly I love you but wow! You are slow....thank God we have Wilson and Harvin right? The rules demand quick strike offense that scores touchdowns like it or not.

I have been watching the KC v Carolina game and the new rules ruined it. Have you seen a first string quarterback of note beyond Cam Newton not dominate easily?

bigwrm

Reaction score
kearly":rqsz4n8v said:
I hope I am overreacting. But watching these preseason games (not just Seattle) the new rules emphasis makes playing pass defense much harder which means it will be more difficult to win games purely through game control. Anyone think the Hawks will beat Rodgers 14 to 12 in week 1 with these current rules? I sure as hell don't. Seattle is gonna need to score, though the good news is that I think our offense will be more than up to the challenge so long as it remains healthy in critical areas.

I actually think it could benefit us since we run so many long developing pass plays from all the play action and scrambles. It's going to be hard for defenders to stick with our receivers for several seconds while RW is running around without committing a foul. That is, assuming they actually call it this tight in the regular season.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":3tj02phj said:

If the last 2 weeks has taught us anything, this rule will hurt all teams, including a green bay or denver. Our defense is the best. With these rules, do you think that other secondaries are gonna become amazing? No, theyll regress further than ours. In a fairly called game, our secondary is still the best....

.....unless you think that we were only the best because we got away with so much last year....? You dont think that, do you Kearly?

brettb3

Reaction score
I think you're overreacting a bit. I'd be shocked if they call it as tight during the regular season.

chris98251

Reaction score
The technical DB with a good physical skill set will be less affected than ones that rely on just physical abilities. We have a high importance placed on technical skill which I think is why we have been flagged less.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
brettb3":1gpdrt9g said:
I think you're overreacting a bit. I'd be shocked if they call it as tight during the regular season.

Agreed. Much ado about nothing. No WAY do they call it as tight when the games count. Too much backlash and the NFL knows it.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Aros":380g1hib said:
brettb3":380g1hib said:

Agreed. Much ado about nothing. No WAY do they call it as tight when the games count. Too much backlash and the NFL knows it.
Yeah, like in SB XL....wait...

Largent80

Reaction score
Last year they were talking about the defense, but yet we still did our usual thing. Yeah they changed the rules a bit but every team must abide. I also think that penalties should be challenged if a staff feels they were slighted. Of course, that will never happen.

We have to set the goal the same as every year. Protect the Clink, and go minimum 4-4 on the road.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
How can we repeat? Two words.........................Percy.Harvin.

I truly believe our chances of repeating lay in his hands. If he stays healthy and catches 100 balls with 10 TD's, then we will be able to put up the necessary offense to win the nastiest division in football and get HFA again.

If he's dinged up or doesn't play a bunch, then this team does not have the offensive horses to go 4-2 or 5-1 in division, which means Wildcard and very difficult road playoff games.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
In the final game of last season, our pass defense allowed the league's MVP to amass a Superb Owl record 34 (meaningless) pass completions, and yet held the Broncos essentially scoreless with a woeful 5.71 yards per pass attempt.

I'm not worried.

We have a pass defense that is highly adaptable to whatever novel challenge comes our way.

You want to throw a defensive contact point of emphasis at us? Fine. We may give you more completions, but you won't be wresting the yards out of us with those completions.

- bsd

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":g3hmwl25 said:

A couple things I have noted in the abbreviated sample size:

1. Seattle hasn't done particularly bad at adapting to the rules. Every game I see, players are getting contact flags everywhere. Seattle's secondary really looks like they are ahead of the curve on this and I expect them to be better suited to adapt to the new rules.

2. These rules really look like they will help us a lot more than hurt us. Wilson's ability to extend plays and the resulting fire drill as the receivers scramble to get free is going to result in far more contact penalties than a standard drop back attack. We have a lot of quick receivers who can effectively alter their routes quickly and incur grabbing as a result. Wilson is ridiculously good -- probably the best in the NFL -- at escaping pressure and still delivering the ball on the move. Those instances more than any other scenario are the most likely to force defenders to get a little grabby while they try to defense the ad lib routes.

I'm sure it'll be a lot different. And if it continues, I'm going to really hate it. I do not like the bail out quality of these penalties. Nor how the excessive penalties disrupt the flow of the game. If they are going to get so incredibly technical about these penalties then they have to eliminate the automatic first down nature of illegal contact. Because at this rate, the majority of contact is almost entirely incidental and/or instigated by the receiver in hopes for a bail out call.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
kearly":1o2irpqx said:

I don't think you are overreacting at all . I also think as fans all across the NFL we are going to be calling BS. It's going to ruin the product on the field and put all games in the hands of the refs. Soon all Wide Receivers will learn how to flop like NBA players. Its pathetic , I hate it . Its not american football its NFL football.

Our team is based on 70s football . Control the ball and play defense. But if the defense keeps giving up 1st downs on 3rd and long because of illegal contact they are going to be tired. If that Simon call was correct , if it was CORRECT. then that SUCKS. thats not football.

I don't think the "emphasis of the rule" will ruin our team any more then the next team. I think the "emphasis of the rule" will ruin the product on the field. Tremendously .