Is our O-line now a strength?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Pass blocking was hit or miss, and I mean that as a compliment to what they were before.

Now the run blocking..... :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

It was nothing short of stellar.

I'd say our O-line is now a strength. I'm probably overreacting to Green Bays incredibly weak run D, but I haven't seen that level of run blocking ever as a Seahawks fan (hope that doesn't give away the fact that I became a fan in 2010).

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3djz6n6w said:
You can beat the tackles with speed rushes around the edge, but the interior play looked good both in the pass and the run.

Hell, I'll take it. Wilson has got to learn how to step up in the pocket better though.

Smellyman

Reaction score
percy helps to keep the D guessing.

But the OL did look better than last year. Okung will continue to round into shape.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I hope so.

It was Capers, who tends to suck, but I do like the performance we saw from the line.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I thought Britt and Okung did OK against some very talented outside rushers. It was a very promising start, all things considered. Certainly, Britt looked much, much better tonight than Bowie and Sweezy did in their debuts.

Based purely on the run results and interior protection, Carp/Max/Sweezy seemed to be feasting inside. Gonna be crucial if they can keep it up.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Opposing Ds have a hella lot to think about. All they can do is pick their poison when Harvin is in the fold and RW is focused. And it seems these days RW is always focused.

Lynch and Harvin should be buying each other Rolies. They complement each other in ridiculous fashion.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Harvin gets instant separation, which helps the OL and we didn't have that last year.

So far, our interior OL looks much better than last year. Last year's OL's weakness was the interior. This year is the Tackles (which I think will get better, Matthews had a hell of a game and he's a damn good player).

The negative Nancy in me says that the Packers were ranked 26th against the run last year, and Raji is out. I will wait to judge these guys until I see them against a quality defensive line.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1bu7picb said:
Smelly McUgly":1bu7picb said:
You can beat the tackles with speed rushes around the edge, but the interior play looked good both in the pass and the run.

Hell, I'll take it. Wilson has got to learn how to step up in the pocket better though.

While I agree that there is still improvements to be made I thought this was by far the best I have seen RW move around in the pocket.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I was impressed with Britt in his first game. Good warm up for him. Plus it helps him that he goes against Avril every day. The upside in this kid is good. He will only get better. Looks like Cable and Pete got this one.
Carp was a machine tonight, looked great. Sweezy was steady as ever. Okung looked good overall, still getting in shape. O-line looks solid

Mick063

Reaction score
The tight ends and fullback were stellar. Don't exclude their blocking.

Willson, Miller, and Coleman were laying the wood. Seattle has their running game down.

Would like to see Michael get a few carries when he gets back.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The interior Offensive Line went from one of the worst in the NFL the past two years into potentially one of the best in the NFL. Hard to base it off one game but Carp-Unger-Sweezy were DOMINANT.

Okung and Britt were average but we know what Okung can do if he can stay healthy and get back into it. And Britt did not look like a rookie, he looked as good as Giacomini ever was, even that holding penalty he got called for was ticky-tack at best and he was intelligent enough to disengage "his hold" very quickly while being able to throw a debilitating punch that pancaked Matthews.

One thing though is I would like to see Cable take this game tape and emphasize second level blocking because their were some opportunities left on the table.

I saw three blocks in the 2nd level that if sustained could have been possible TD runs (but don't quote me on these cuz my memory might be all jumbled up from alcohol) .

1. I think Harvin tripped over Britt. If Britt pancakes his guy or turns him inside, I think Harvin keeps his balance and scores.

2. Carpenter threw a cut block that just misses his target, had he stayed on his feet, Lynch would had a big time opportunity with only two defenders to beat but cuts back into the middle of the field into a safety and Lber because Carp just misses his guy.

3. Richardson has his guy 15 yards down-field, with sort of a lazy block, and I think it was Wilson, has the corner and space but Richardson's guy gets past and I think Russ slides or runs out of bounds.

I could also be mixing up the ball-carrier on 2 and 3. My memory is hazy.

Also, the the Mathews TFL on Turbin was Bevell's fault, no one else, you have to put a blocker a Clay, always.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mikeak":3a1h26dq said:
hawksfan515":3a1h26dq said:
Smelly McUgly":3a1h26dq said:

While I agree that there is still improvements to be made I thought this was by far the best I have seen RW move around in the pocket.

It helps when you HAVE a pocket on a semi-consistent basis. :th2thumbs: I like how Britt was matched up with a very light version of what he'll see with the Rams. Quinn and Long dropped straight into his lap would have been quite the surreal experience.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3u75c4hm said:
Pass blocking was hit or miss, and I mean that as a compliment to what they were before.

Now the run blocking..... :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

It was nothing short of stellar.

I'd say our O-line is now a strength. I'm probably overreacting to Green Bays incredibly weak run D, but I haven't seen that level of run blocking ever as a Seahawks fan (hope that doesn't give away the fact that I became a fan in 2010).

No, not by a longshot. Carpenter looked lots better, a night and day difference, and my sense is that both Sweezy and Unger had good games, too. But our tackles need work, particularly in their pass defense. At this point, I'd rather see Zach Miller matched up against Mathews or Peppers than one of our OT's.