Field Temp for Chargers game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
First of all. Sorry to bust on some people. But My friend works games as an official. Here is his response to my question as to the conditions on the field as far as heat.

"The field temp for the game I worked on Saturday was 147fF. Keep in mind this was artificial turf. On Sunday the Grass temp at around the same time was 120F. Turf is always hotter then natural grass because of the black rubber pellets."

Have a great day.
Den

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Lord and Lady mods....close this if you like. Peace.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Roland is going to believe it was a nice, sunny day to play football no matter what anyone tells him.

Brahn

Reaction score
Next 90+ day in Washington go outside for 1 hour in a white shirt, than put on a dark blue shirt and go outside for 1 hour.

And tell me both are equal. There is a reason teams like SD, MIA will wear away whites at home on hot days. But then wear their dark home jerseys other days.

Is it the sole factor for the loss... no... but 42min in that heat with dark jerseys will add up.

Also tell me how the LB core had poor coverage on Gates on his 3 TDs. 2 of those TDs were a combo of a perfect pass and great catch.

Tip my hat to Gates he balled out.

cesame

Reaction score
Both teams played in the same conditions so who cares. Jesus. Get over it.

2_0_6

Reaction score
We went into their house and got beat, simple as that.

Teams come here and lose partially to the crowd noise, they get over it and move on.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1lmczsfx said:
We went into their house and got beat, simple as that.

Teams come here and lose partially to the crowd noise, they get over it and move on.

good points here.

The weather was a factor. But it's a factor that we didn't play well enough for early to overcome. In fact we played in a way that compounded the issue.

Anyone saying "it wasn't a factor" or "SD had to face the same Factor", you're wrong. When you're in direct sun-light wearing white vs. a dark color is significantly different. It's not a 'slight' difference. It's huge.

The Seahawks hosed themselves by allowing long drives early and the weather became a bigger factor than It should have been.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I finished watching my copy of the recorded game. I see all yall's point. I can agree with some of it. Yes, Antonio Gates played lights out and so did Rivers. Our team played DECENT according to conditions. Enuff said. Have a great day.

2_0_6

Reaction score
at the end of the day, we had the ball down by 6 in the 4th quarter with three minutes to go. Regardless of the weather, how good Rivers/Gates were, or how bad we played, we still had a shot to pull one out.

They are a good team and will be a playoff team again this year.

We got out of the game with no injuries, and nice fat slice of humble pie. Seems very similar to the Colts game last year and we all know what kind of run we went on after that

tom sawyer

Reaction score
cesame":1ckc51ne said:
Both teams played in the same conditions so who cares. Jesus. Get over it.

It's quite that simply BLACK BLUE and WHITE

Vetamur

Reaction score
The heat was a factor. Period. But just one. I know a bit about heat..I grew up in the deserts of the Sw. Thats the dry heat. I live in Tokyo, where in August at night it doesnt get under 90 degrees and its humid. I do field work in areas where it gets to 110 degrees, and I have to wear a leather jacket to protect myself so its hot, hot.

The difference from white to dark blue is there, but not decisive. Part of it was that the Chargers know the heat better and were smart about it.. they did their IVs before the game and at half -- they didnt wait for the cramps to start. Richard Sherman apparently did as well. But other than that, the Seahawks didnt do their IVs until the cramping started. Its a lack of experience with that type of heat.

Todd (Aros) and I were in the "view" level and even though I am used to heat, 3 hours of just being beat down by the sun while just standing/sitting there took its toll even on me.. Sunday night we werent meant to party but I was useless til 9pm, 5 hours after the game. At which point, we started to party/mourn. lol.

Anyway..the heat was a factor. Not the main, and not insignificant. Just.. a piece of the puzzle that was a disappointing performance.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Vetamur":35yyh0tj said:
they did their IVs before the game and at half -- they didnt wait for the cramps to start. Richard Sherman apparently did as well. But other than that, the Seahawks didnt do their IVs until the cramping started. Its a lack of experience with that type of heat.
This is one thing that is really bothering me, too. Who the hell's job is it to make sure our guys stay properly hydrated, and also properly hydrate prior to the game starting? We have some trainers that don't know how to do their friggin' jobs. VERY annoying, IMO. Read a book on desert hiking or high-heat marathon running and they tell you to drink a lot of water PRIOR to the start of your vigorous exercise in high heat as well as to keep drinking quite a bit throughout. Liter per hour's approximately what the body can absorb while exercising. No NFL player should get dehydration cramps during a game. Our players should know how to properly prepare for this and our trainers sure as hell should, too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Several Elite players in San Diego won that game. Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, (plus 3 that I really wanted to become Seahawks) Melvin Ingram, Corey Liuget, and Jeremiah Attaochu to name a few.

BUT, the high heat on the field did have a negative effect on the players. If it didn't, 4 Seahawks crew would not have been holding a 4x8 bulletin board of the DLine for shade, they would not have been administering IVs, Earl Thomas would not have had cramps, etc etc.

Just because 2 teams play on the same field does not mean that their bodies are acclimated to the weather. The Charger live there and practice there so their bodies are used to it. You can't acclimate to that kind of weather in 2 or 3 days. People die in that kind of weather. There IS a difference between wearing white and dark colors on a hot day.

Why is it that Dome QBs play worse in places like Seattle, Chicago and Green Bay? The weather.

Damon and Drew on with Brock & Salk (questions on how the weather effects a game).

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk

Melencause

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3l7ku503 said:
Roland is going to believe it was a nice, sunny day to play football no matter what anyone tells him.

This^^. The poor guy has entrenched himself like its 1916's Europe.

Latest posts