Adapt or die

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We -- The Seattle Seahawks are the champions. We have summit-ed the highest peak in football, beat insurmountable odds, and became the team of destiny in 2013. Our winning formula was no secret, we beat teams up physically and mentally. Our game was to draw teams into battles of attrition for which they were not equipped to weather. Seattle didn't put up gaudy offensive numbers but they controlled the time of possession, which in turn controlled the clock. It was morally devastating for teams that faced the 2013 Hawks'. Our offense was tailor made to complement Seattle's smothering defense. This was our formula for success, and I'm hear to tell you all that it will not work with this squad.

Seattle can no longer lean on the defense to win games. We are too injured, depth is wearing thin leaving gaping holes in the secondary. Pass rush is non-existent thus far, and our defensive line is mediocre. In order to be successful Seattle must now roll with the punches and modify that superbowl formula.

Seattle must become a more pass-heavy team. We must look to score quickly, and often while our defense is in recovery mode. I'm confident that even with our bad-line play Russell Wilson can still make things happen. Instead of looking to run to set up the pass, we need to pass to set up the run. Instead of running a 55-45 run pass ratio, we run a 50-50, 45-55 run pass ratio.

Simply Seattle is not equipped to win games of attrition at this point. The defense can no longer be relied on to win games. Our offense now needs to carry us to victory.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Agreed. Our defense let Austin Davis pass for 18 of 21 for 2 TD NO TURNOVERS. Gave up yardage at crucial moments whether it's running or passing. Special teams was crap. Offensive line still drawing flags as if it's preseason.

Adding to our recent problems is that we have struggled to run with Lynch when we need it. We have been a running team for so long that EVERY FAN THINKS THE ANSWER TO OUR OFFENSE IS TO RUN LYNCH. Well the Rams proved that force feeding Lynch isn't the answer as it makes us predictable and one dimensional.

The lowly Rams show us that we can't play a conservative game and continue to win.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":i2mdjl1y said:
Agreed. Our defense let Austin Davis pass for 18 of 21 for 2 TD NO TURNOVERS. Gave up yardage at crucial moments whether it's running or passing. Special teams was crap. Offensive line still drawing flags as if it's preseason.

Adding to our recent problems is that we have struggled to run with Lynch when we need it. We have been a running team for so long that EVERY FAN THINKS THE ANSWER TO OUR OFFENSE IS TO RUN LYNCH. Well the Rams proved that force feeding Lynch isn't the answer as it makes us predictable and one dimensional.

The lowly Rams show us that we can't play a conservative game and continue to win.
We still need to run, but I think the Seahawk's need to trend slightly more towards a passing team.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
If adapting means to let Wilson wing it and to progress as a passer than I'm all for it...just as most of us were in support of a Percy - Lynch combo a few weeks ago. Only difference is RW doesnt quit on plays or his team.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Lynch had some nice runs today that were called back. Seems that Lynch runs pretty well out of the shotgun.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hendo66":2z9yy4hd said:
Lynch had some nice runs today that were called back. Seems that Lynch runs pretty well out of the shotgun.
I'm not advocating abandoning the run, just scaling the running game back some. I suspect that our offense would be more productive if we passed to set up the run. I think Lynch would even be a bigger threat this way imo, especially with the way he's able to run from the shotgun.

strohmin

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2kbpqp9c said:

Actually Running Lynch is exactly what we need to do. We have to punish defenses and tire them out allowing us to get the big plays we usually do. I was happy with our gameplan, but the execution in the beginning was terrible and the defense is just unhealthy right now.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1xm4qf8s said:
I have had a few too many. Is this thread about doomsday prepping and mating with Irish people?
This thread is about the inspiring story of the little leprechaun who could.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hendo66":32o7rw8h said:
Lynch ran well in a passing formation? Go figure. His long runs nullified by holding so do they really matter?....
Could it be that we are too predictable at times? I understand our offense shouldn't rely on misdirection but we do need to make the opposing defense think or else they will continue to swarm Lynch on early downs and tee off on Wilson in passing situations. Yes Percy was a dick who didn't know a route tree but he was a decent decoy on Marshawn's runs.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
strohmin":1wj7e13x said:
Russ Willstrong":1wj7e13x said:

Actually Running Lynch is exactly what we need to do. We have to punish defenses and tire them out allowing us to get the big plays we usually do. I was happy with our gameplan, but the execution in the beginning was terrible and the defense is just unhealthy right now.
So you were happy with which game plan? The one that calls for Lynch to carry 18 times for 53 yds? Or was it the game plan to fall behind and have Wilson run for 106 yds while also throwing it 36 times?

Any game plan heavy in your base run calls should also have include A STOUT DEFENSE which we seem to have lost.