Bills Waive/Injured WR Mike Williams

kidhawk

Reaction score
According to Schefter, he was waived with a calf injury, but is ready to play now...looking for a contender....wonder if he'll find one

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/542064777292677121[/tweet]

pehawk

Reaction score
I love, love LOVE this dude as a player. Certainly better than Chris Mathews...

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hollywood_N_Vine":1o93ht5j said:
Can he sign wherever he wants to or does he have to go thru waivers first? Or was this an injury settlement kind of thing?

If he's claimed, any team claiming him also is responsible for the rest of his contract. I would guess any contenders would wait for him to hit the market and sign him to a short deal through the season. It would be interesting to see what he'd do if the Raiders claimed him

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hollywood_N_Vine":1gjx9i5v said:
Can he sign wherever he wants to or does he have to go thru waivers first? Or was this an injury settlement kind of thing?

All players need to clear waivers since the trade deadline has passed. If no one claims him he reverts to IR and the Bills retain his rights. Waived/Injured is a special designation different than a straight IR or waived/released/cut etc.

Waived/Injured can significantly reduce a players cap hit while IR guarantees the full salary against the cap. You can save money with the added risk of another team claiming him. There is a certain unwritten rule against doing so. Bill Belecheck makes the news every year or so by claiming a waived injured player.

Only way for any other team to grab him is to claim him and his salary.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2ebb9d0d said:
Hollywood_N_Vine":2ebb9d0d said:

All players need to clear waivers since the trade deadline has passed. If no one claims him he reverts to IR and the Bills retain his rights. Waived/Injured is a special designation different than a straight IR or waived/released/cut etc.

Not completely true. The Bills can come to an injury settlement which would free him to become a free agent.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":3fhxzxpg said:
Basis4day":3fhxzxpg said:
Hollywood_N_Vine":3fhxzxpg said:

Not completely true. The Bills can come to an injury settlement which would free him to become a free agent.

That's fair. But with the money that Williams is due i doubt he would want to go that route if he can at all avoid it.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":211iglre said:
kidhawk":211iglre said:
Basis4day":211iglre said:
Hollywood_N_Vine":211iglre said:

That's fair. But with the money that Williams is due i doubt he would want to go that route if he can at all avoid it.

He's only due $1.6 million for the 2014 season, which is roughly 100,000 per game. He can get that amount easily enough signing elsewhere, and it's HIGHLY unlikely the Bills would keep him past this season if they did have him stuck on IR, so future monies are pretty much off the table anyway

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This is a guy who's been a major headache at Syracuse, Tampa Bay and Buffalo. He walked out on Syracuse, the Buccs traded him and Buffalo waived him.

Sounds like just what we need.... :sarcasm_off:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He has struggled under coaches who are disciplinarians. He thrived under Raheem Morris, who was a player's coach.

I wonder if Pete Carroll could bring back the good Mike WIlliams.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Just read up on his contract. Apparently his contract has $5.2 million in future guaranteed money. If the Bills do cut him, they will have to pay him that remaining guaranteed money. If someone wants him they take on that guarantee, and if nobody claims him, the Bills owe him that money if they do release him in the off season. Sounds like a no win scenario for the Bills and a no lose scenario for Williams.

Jville

Reaction score
kidhawk":34wu6jx7 said:
Just read up on his contract. Apparently his contract has $5.2 million in future guaranteed money. If the Bills do cut him, they will have to pay him that remaining guaranteed money. If someone wants him they take on that guarantee, and if nobody claims him, the Bills owe him that money if they do release him in the off season. Sounds like a no win scenario for the Bills and a no lose scenario for Williams.

LOL I see what you did there. You got pehawk all excited. And then, you cut his knees out from under him. That's some genuine rough housing. I hope pehawk is ok.

Edit: Just having fun with how the sequence of information worked out. :229031_shrug:

pehawk

Reaction score
Kid's brutality is an act in subtlety.

Dude must be a nightmare, because he has everything you'd want in a WR.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
I believe teams have until 4pm (Eastern) tomorrow (Tuesday) to make a claim. After that, if there is no claim, then the team and player have a 5 day window to negotiate an injury settlement.

chris98251

Reaction score
They went after Harvin a known cancer that we poo pooed. Williams could be a strech run guy, use the make you star shine bright here and the playoffs and you could come away with a big time payday carrot. Also this team has a way of dealing with cancer, we cut it out.

Brahn

Reaction score
Pete turned 1 Mike Williams bust with off the field issues into a Pro Bowl caliber WR. I would assume he could to the same for this Mike Williams.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2zm1isof said:
I saw he cleared waivers, I'd assume they'll release him shortly.

he was released with an injury designation, so after clearing waivers, they have to put him on IR. They have 5 days to negotiate an injury settlement before they can release him. I'm not clear if those 5 days count the weekend or if it's basically until next Tuesday, but either way, if they don't reach an injury settlement, he'll just sit on IR for the remainder of the season.

We'll see if he was serious about wanting to play for a contender this year or not. If he was, he'll take an injury settlement and try to sign elsewhere. If he wasn't, then he'll just sit on IR and collect his check.