Post-XLIX Dave Dameshek Football Podcast

gulliver

Reaction score
Anybody listen to this pod?

If it helps, Producer TD was on the Seahawkers Podcast a couple weeks back and he's a big Russell Wilson fan.

Excuse my angry rant on a topic most will find obscure.

But Shek--who I normally really like--has been slowly turning into a Seahawks hater after some of our more hyper-active fans whined at him too much on social media (and after some of Baldwin's antics).

To be fair to 12s, we had a reason to think everybody was doubting us. But to be fair to Shek and others, once we won XLIII, many 12s didn't know when to turn it off and kept harassing media people on Twitter etc. about how they were "doubting" and "hating" us, and now the "they hate us" refrain has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Like a lot of people, Shek bet against us all year long--saying for most the season we wouldn't even make the playoffs--and then predicted us to get eliminated in literally every game once we did make the playoffs. Because they were right one time, they're giving themselves a big pat on the back for being so prescient. (Broken clock...)

In any event, I waded through his whole post-SB pod just because I still have a mild appreciation for his personality... but I can't recommend it now. Made me sick to my stomach. While I understand it legitimately was a good game for those who don't have a dog in the fight, his glee went beyond anything I've seen from him or others. Noting that he didn't want us to repeat because he didn't want us to join the ranks of his vintage Steelers, Shek almost had a stroke he was so thrilled the Pats got their 4th. And to be fair, it's not so much pro-Pats as it is anti-Hawks. I've never heard him like that; he was walking on sunshine; skipping on a cloud; the first day of the rest of his life.

He was waxing on gleefully about how our so-called "mighty #1 defense" had been shredded by Brady. Naturally, he conveniently ignores the devastating, season- and game-ending injuries, not to mention the entire LOB set of injuries as those guys played through surgery-level ailments all day. None of that mattered--we were "exposed" and the gang couldn't be more thrilled about it.

To his credit, Producer TD accurately pointed out that Belichick and Brady both watched their legacy go down the toilet in that game from the sideline--until Bevell bailed them out with his all-time eff-up. And suddenly, because we s--- the bed despite an 87% chance of winning, Brady and Belichick are both GOATS. And predictably, people (incl. Shek) refuse to accept that it was a bad call, because they want to believe the Pats won more than we blew it, and if they admit it was a bad play call, it actually gives more credit to Seattle than haters want to give.

I've listened to Shek since Adam Carolla's radio days, and further on Carolla's podcast, and further on his own podcast and even on the short-lived Daves of Thunder podcast. Always liked him. But despite his protestations to the contrary, he is a full-blown enemy of the team now. I guess XL wasn't enough humiliation...

canfan

Reaction score
I used to enjoy "Shek", but I haven't been able to listen to his podcast for weeks. I'm sure he has been harrassed by fans, but he seems to have taken it as an opportunity to turn into the greatest troll in the NFL.com world. I think a lot of his motivation for many things he does come back to his beloved Stealers. He discredits QBs in order to push his agenda for Rapelisberger to be considered one of the best 3 or 4 QB's. And he certainly didn't want any part of a conversation about where the present day Seahawk defense ranks against the great Pittsburg defenses of the past. Well he doesn't like the Hawks or their fans, and I return the emotion with interest. I deleted his podcast from my phone after the GB game. He had picked GB in the pre season to win the SB, so much of the post game podcast was a character assassination of Russel Wilson. He and "handsome Hank" (another guy apparently tired of aggressive Seahawk fans) agreed that Wilson's tears were fake and he ranked up with Drew Brees as a phony. Both of these things were news to me. I had never heard anywhere else that Brees had a less than stellar character. Anyway, I'm sure Shek will survive without my patronage, and I know I will survive without his "pearls of wisdom"

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
The one thing I think is funny is fans from neither team getting all excited about the Pats winning...people do realize the pats have been to the most superbowls in NFL history now right? Tied with the Steelers and Cowboys at 8 superbowl appearances. In the last 30 years they have been to 8 superbowls..how freaking rediculous is that? Steelers and Cowboys have only been to 7 COMBINED Superbowls since the Pats went to their first in 1985 and have only won one more combined than the pats since that time as well.

Do people think they are some underdog...that its not big deal, its "just the pats"

You would think pretty much every single fanbase would despise Pats fans and the Pats

OP
OP
gulliver

gulliver

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1ijcqg4x said:
The one thing I think is funny is fans from neither team getting all excited about the Pats winning...people do realize the pats have been to the most superbowls in NFL history now right? Tied with the Steelers and Cowboys at 8 superbowl appearances. In the last 30 years they have been to 8 superbowls..how freaking rediculous is that? Steelers and Cowboys have only been to 7 COMBINED Superbowls since the Pats went to their first in 1985 and have only won one more combined than the pats since that time as well.

Do people think they are some underdog...that its not big deal, its "just the pats"

You would think pretty much every single fanbase would despise Pats fans and the Pats
The fact that a lot of "neutrals" started honking for the Pats--the most successful and hated team of the last decade--is what tells me it's not about liking the Pats. It's about hating the Hawks.

I too recall the crack about Russell's tears being "fake," and Shek's utter devastation at GB losing at the last minute. He derides fans for rubbing his face in his constantly inaccurate predictions, but Shek--you can only pick against us and lose 10x before you start to lose credibility, and people start asking questions. E.g., if you keep picking against them and losing, why else would you continue to pick against them? At a certain point it becomes less of a logical prediction and more of a fantasy scenario.

I think too many 12s go over the top complaining about how nobody believes in us and there is all this east coast bias etc. But there is a lot of truth to the idea that the Seahawks historically have not played a role in the NFL conversation, and people would rather see the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers etc.--the historical powers--play in the big games. I was truly shocked and annoyed at how many people rallied around the Packers after we beat them in the NFCCG. People talk about how they want to see a dynasty, but the fact is they don't want to watch a dynasty *become* a dynasty. They just want to watch the finished product, and that's why they prefer re-runs of old films like Dallas, Pitt and GB. It was a thing of beauty to see all those teams vanquished this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I hate Dameshek. Always have, always will. Dude is trash. His "N-IF-L" bits are the dirt worst.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gulliver":2etqgebj said:
Like a lot of people, Shek bet against us all year long--saying for most the season we wouldn't even make the playoffs--and then predicted us to get eliminated in literally every game once we did make the playoffs. Because they were right one time, they're giving themselves a big pat on the back for being so prescient. (Broken clock...)

You do know that Shek controls football baby right?..........and football baby picked the Hawks just about every week, including every playoff game AND the SB.

I also came to love Shek through the Carolla podcast, but you have to understand he's about as old school no nonsense as it gets, so he's not afraid to rip fans and players for being jerks.........and let's face it, we've had our fair share of both.

He's annoying as hell on Twitter because it's 80% Steeler homerism, but his NFL Network stuff is good.

lucky49

Reaction score
dameshek isn't supposed to be an actual analyst. He's basically supposed to be a funny-ish homer dude who acts more like an average nfl fan than a pro commentator, so he can publicly hate teams and players if he wants, just like any fan. He's literally doing his job.

OP
OP
gulliver

gulliver

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vn6hm0f1 said:
gulliver":vn6hm0f1 said:

You do know that Shek controls football baby right?..........and football baby picked the Hawks just about every week, including every playoff game AND the SB.

I also came to love Shek through the Carolla podcast, but you have to understand he's about as old school no nonsense as it gets, so he's not afraid to rip fans and players for being jerks.........and let's face it, we've had our fair share of both.

He's annoying as hell on Twitter because it's 80% Steeler homerism, but his NFL Network stuff is good.
I still like Dameshek. But his football stuff is becoming difficult to listen to because, through a combination of our own fault ("nobody believes in us!") and his, he's been polarized to the point where I'm hearing more ridicule directed at us by him than ever before. That's hard to deny.

The Football Baby thing is completely beside the point. Shek now consistently picks against us, not just in who he thinks is going to win, but who he openly wants to win. Football Baby falls to one side. I'm supposed to credit Shek because his baby tipped over, even though he consistently picked against us?

By the way, you watch enough of that and you realize that the Football Baby gimmick is pretty pat--baby falls to the viewer's right 90% of the time, which happens to be the direction Shek puts the team that is favored by Vegas.

To someone else's point, the fact that it's all part of a shtick doesn't make it any less obnoxious for me. When I see him essentially retaliating against Seahawks fans on Twitter and in articles and podcasts, even ones like myself who aren't screaming how nobody believes in us all the time, it doesn't make me give him a pass. At a certain point, he officially dislikes the team and its fans whether you classify it as "shtick" or not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gulliver":3s55sh0g said:
The Football Baby thing is completely beside the point. Shek now consistently picks against us, not just in who he thinks is going to win, but who he openly wants to win. Football Baby falls to one side. I'm supposed to credit Shek because his baby tipped over, even though he consistently picked against us?

It's a gimmick, Shek makes the pick and then films football baby until he falls to the side he wants him to.

So saying that he's not picking the Hawks, it's all random football baby is not true.

But I agree with Carolla, Shek's mom loved him a little too much as kid, which created an obnoxious know it all adult. But that's his persona, arrogant NE Steeler fan who thinks he knows more than everyone else.

Latest posts