What the hell is Chip Kelly doing?

seabowl

Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen a dismantling of a team in football quite like what Kelly is doing to the Eagles. Foles, Maclin, Jackson, McCoy, Cole etc.... The trade for Bradford is the most perplexing especially since he has torn his ACL twice and is not mobile. In addition they gave up a 2nd in the deal and a QB with much better recent production. WTF

On top of the moves he runs an offense that IMO cannot work in the NFL. Even if the O scores points it puts major stress on their D to stay on the field for an exorbitant amount of time. No NFL D can survive a season with this gameplan.

The Eagles are doomed!!!!!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
To be fair, we saw a lot of the same types of posts when Pete Carroll got here and started shaking things up.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Philly has been making some major changes for sure. I am curios if the Marriota rumors are true and what crazy stunts Chip will make to get him.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
HawkFan72":34ngjabz said:
To be fair, we saw a lot of the same types of posts when Pete Carroll got here and started shaking things up.

The Hawks were bad then and the players they let go were not of this caliber.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2cwxdc31 said:
Yeah, except that those people were dumb because Carroll inherited an old talent-less roster that had just gone 5-11 and 4-12 the two prior years in a division that wasn't even very good. The Eagles have done much better in a division with less suckitude.

This is not comparable to the arguments people had against Carroll when he arrived.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2zhv8etm said:
HawkFan72":2zhv8etm said:
Yeah, except that those people were dumb because Carroll inherited an old talent-less roster that had just gone 5-11 and 4-12 the two prior years in a division that wasn't even very good. The Eagles have done much better in a division with less suckitude.

This is not comparable to the arguments people had against Carroll when he arrived.

Sure, we say that now. But at the time, people were very upset about Pete dumping established starters like Tapp, Josh Wilson, Deon Grant, etc.

Not the same caliber of player, but they were talented players that we had biases in favor of. People were legitimately upset and I remember reading many posts saying "What is Pete Carroll doing!?"

I'm willing to see what Chip Kelly does this year with the team he is building before I start calling him crazy.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
This is a Scooby Doo episode where the pull off the Chip Kelly mask to reveal....Cowboys fan Jerry Reed!

Bradford and Sanchez! Hahahahahahaha!!!

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't understand the Foles trade. Only thing I can figure with all these moves is that he may have realized that he has gone as far as he will with this talent and he needs to slash and burn and rebuild with younger talent with higher potential.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
Eagles got the better QB. I know I'm in the minority by saying that but it's true. Sam thrives in the shot gun and hurry up situations, which is perfect for Chip. He will be lethal if the knee holds up. The price for Sam got driven up by other teams. Multiple teams wanted Bradford. It was a fair deal in my book.

Rams are looking really good right now.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":2p5jzqs1 said:
Eagles got the better QB. I know I'm in the minority by saying that but it's true. Sam thrives in the shot gun and hurry up situations, which is perfect for Chip. He will be lethal if the knee holds up. The price for Sam got driven up by other teams. Multiple teams wanted Bradford. It was a fair deal in my book.

That's a big, big 'if' at this point. Isn't this his third ACL tear in the last 6 years or something ridiculous like that? He had one in college, too.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is no room left for Chip in the middle. He is either the smartest man in football, or crazy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is pretty funny...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/575503039567675392[/tweet]

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
jkitsune":14q5dzgh said:
Sherman4Prez":14q5dzgh said:

That's a big, big 'if' at this point. Isn't this his third ACL tear in the last 6 years or something ridiculous like that? He had one in college, too.

Never heard about a college injury to his knee. Not sure....

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3awrdmrg said:
This is pretty funny...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/575503039567675392[/tweet]

Wow, talk about Friendly fire. Brutal...

knownone

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2zla3ibd said:
RolandDeschain":2zla3ibd said:
HawkFan72":2zla3ibd said:

Sure, we say that now. But at the time, people were very upset about Pete dumping established starters like Tapp, Josh Wilson, Deon Grant, etc.

Not the same caliber of player, but they were talented players that we had biases in favor of. People were legitimately upset and I remember reading many posts saying "What is Pete Carroll doing!?"

I'm willing to see what Chip Kelly does this year with the team he is building before I start calling him crazy.
As both an Eagles fan and a Seahawks fan whose followed both changes closely, this is way different than Pete Carroll's first year. Chip has essentially gotten rid of 5 pro bowlers in their prime for what amounts to "personal differences". How would you feel if a new coach came to Seattle tomorrow and got rid of Lynch, Thomas, Bennett and Wagner because they weren't "his guys" that's basically the talent equivalent of what Kelly has given away.

I'm at a loss for words... Honestly, we gave up draft picks and Nick Foles for an injury prone, overpaid Sam Bradford, who when healthy isn't much better than Foles. Why? Where is the plan? All of the Oregon fan boys have been telling me "Once Chip get's a mobile QB that offense will be unstoppable" yet I sit here wondering, if it's that easy why hasn't Chip gone out of his way to find a mobile QB? Why go after Bradford and essentially take yourself out of the Mariota sweepstakes?

Seriously, We've gone from having a top 5 RB to no RB. Our receiving core is headed by... Riley Cooper? wait no let's roll with Jordan Mathews 8). We landed the 4th best member of the legion of boom who we've paid more than Earl Thomas, and we landed a second year LB whose coming off a fairly serious knee injury.

titan3131

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23kkco9a said:
There is no room left for Chip in the middle. He is either the smartest man in football, or crazy.

at best he could be 4-10. He is no where close to the top.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I thought Chip's offseason was pretty terrible even BEFORE the QB swap. I have no words now. Dumped every skill player worth a damn, traded a cheap average QB with upside for an expensive average QB with no upside, handed an elite contract to a CB who was maybe the 8th or 9th best player on Seattle's defense...

I dunno, some give him the benefit of the doubt since he has the mad genius rep, but it seems pretty clear to me that he lost on cutting Desean Jackson last year and now has made at least a handful moves that look even worse.

On the plus side for Seattle, I feel better about Cary Williams being let go by Philly. That's looking like pretty good company right now.

WendellWent

Reaction score
knownone":156vnc3q said:
HawkFan72":156vnc3q said:
RolandDeschain":156vnc3q said:
HawkFan72":156vnc3q said:

As both an Eagles fan and a Seahawks fan whose followed both changes closely, this is way different than Pete Carroll's first year. Chip has essentially gotten rid of 5 pro bowlers in their prime for what amounts to "personal differences". How would you feel if a new coach came to Seattle tomorrow and got rid of Lynch, Thomas, Bennett and Wagner because they weren't "his guys" that's basically the talent equivalent of what Kelly has given away.

I'm at a loss for words... Honestly, we gave up draft picks and Nick Foles for an injury prone, overpaid Sam Bradford, who when healthy isn't much better than Foles. Why? Where is the plan? All of the Oregon fan boys have been telling me "Once Chip get's a mobile QB that offense will be unstoppable" yet I sit here wondering, if it's that easy why hasn't Chip gone out of his way to find a mobile QB? Why go after Bradford and essentially take yourself out of the Mariota sweepstakes?

Seriously, We've gone from having a top 5 RB to no RB. Our receiving core is headed by... Riley Cooper? wait no let's roll with Jordan Mathews 8). We landed the 4th best member of the legion of boom who we've paid more than Earl Thomas, and we landed a second year LB whose coming off a fairly serious knee injury.

BJ?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3b0r0g8a said:

Yep, fully agreed. And as an added bonus it's entertaining as hell to watch regardless of which way it turns out. If I cared about the Eagles I don't know how I'd feel, but as an outsider for pure entertainment value alone it's awesome. I hope he never stops.