Rumblings that Broncos are going after Tyrod...

pehawk

Reaction score
So, they definitely want a mobile QB. And, unless the price is crazy, he's a way better option than Kaep. Great deep ball guy that can either manage or win the game for you.

It'd be a bad move for Buffalo, IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
I like Taylor but reports of him having good arm strength are vastly over-stated IMO. He's a touch passer and not by choice. Late last year when he was playing hurt he had the weakest looking arm I'd ever seen in the NFL. Compare that with Big Ben who played a playoff game with a destroyed shoulder and still threw a 60 yard rocket on the first play and maintained surprisingly good velocity throughout the game.

Kubiak needs a QB with a big arm and Denver needs a QB who can stay healthy. I like Taylor but he's not a good fit for Denver's needs.

Also, I doubt that Buffalo will just let Taylor walk away on the cheap.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
True, his deep ball is touch over spin.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I can't imagine that if the Broncos are not interested in Fitzpatrick because of arm strength, that they would be interested in Taylor.

mikeak

Reaction score
I can't imagine Bills letting him go. They finally had a decent season - no way that Rex gets himself into QB hell again

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3u7xj7ya said:
I can't imagine that if the Broncos are not interested in Fitzpatrick because of arm strength, that they would be interested in Taylor.

The answer is; legs. The difference is legs. Plus, ya know, Fitzmagic sucks. Last year Fitz benefited from a coach who will routinely get blood from a stone.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":2en6xu8x said:
Late last year when he was playing hurt he had the weakest looking arm I'd ever seen in the NFL.

Weaker than the arm of the QB the Beoncos just won the Super Bowl with?

C'mon now. ;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't understand why the Bills would want to dump Taylor. Their Offense started to come to life with him last year.

kearly

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2d9czni6 said:

C'mon now. ;)

There was one game I watched near the end of the year where Taylor physically couldn't throw 20 yards. As bad as Manning's arm was, he could still throw a 30-40 yard duck.

Kubiak's offense is built off of taking deep shots and he has historically preferred QBs with immense arm strength. That's why Kaep was their first option, Kaep has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
kearly":3outmz09 said:
Popeyejones":3outmz09 said:

C'mon now. ;)

There was one game I watched near the end of the year where Taylor physically couldn't throw 20 yards. As bad as Manning's arm was, he could still throw a 30-40 yard duck.

Kubiak's offense is built off of taking deep shots and he has historically preferred QBs with immense arm strength. That's why Kaep was their first option, Kaep has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

I do recall hearing that he did have some sort of pectoral injury late last year. Could that have played a role in him having less behind his throws?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Throwing shoulder bothered him 2nd half of season last year. He played through it though.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
pehawk":2ljsj9q9 said:
Hawks46":2ljsj9q9 said:

The answer is; legs. The difference is legs. Plus, ya know, Fitzmagic sucks. Last year Fitz benefited from a coach who will routinely get blood from a stone.
Ha, ha, yup. Haven't heard that nickname for Fitz, but he has a tendency of consistently and predictably throwing interceptions late in games to seal the win.... for the other team. Tyrod is great, thinks on his feet, and still hasn't come close to reaching his potential. It would be typical Buffalo though to trade him.... to save a few bucks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":1t22zjju said:
Popeyejones":1t22zjju said:

C'mon now. ;)

On MNF against the Patriots, Taylor played with a hurt shoulder on his throwing arm.. for awhile it looked like he was basically playing with a busted collarbone but they later found out he didn't break anything. Still I believe this is the game you're thinking of, because he has a decent arm. He will never be confused with a guy like Aaron Rodgers or something, but his arm strength is above average.

All that said I have a real hard time believing the Bills trade him unless the Broncos are willing to pay out the ass for him. The Bills have been starved at QB for over a decade and Taylor actually has promise to be a good player. I think Denver is going to have to bite the bullet and draft a QB to compete with Sanchez for the job because all their other options are quickly going away.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":37o2ovqp said:
On MNF against the Patriots, Taylor played with a hurt shoulder on his throwing arm.. for awhile it looked like he was basically playing with a busted collarbone but they later found out he didn't break anything. Still I believe this is the game you're thinking of, because he has a decent arm. He will never be confused with a guy like Aaron Rodgers or something, but his arm strength is above average.

All that said I have a real hard time believing the Bills trade him unless the Broncos are willing to pay out the ass for him. The Bills have been starved at QB for over a decade and Taylor actually has promise to be a good player. I think Denver is going to have to bite the bullet and draft a QB to compete with Sanchez for the job because all their other options are quickly going away.

That's probably the game.

I should clarify. I don't think Taylor's arm strength is as bad as it was in that game. It was really obvious he was hurt, and that's a valid excuse. HOWEVER, I think it's telling that Taylor lost so much more arm strength than a guy like Big Ben did especially when Big Ben's shoulder injury was much worse.

I've seen Taylor when healthy and my impression is that he's got a good rainbow deep ball, but on the truer tests of arm strength he's a softer, touch pass guy only. Wilson is a touch passer too and it's not an inherently bad thing, but Wilson is also capable of firing rockets when he needs to and I haven't seen one yet from Taylor.

If Fitzmagic had more distance on his deep ball then his arm would compare well with Taylor's, IMO.

It's a fair point about trade compensation. The Bills would likely ask for Denver's 1st round pick, at minimum.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":m4tvpw1c said:
I've seen Taylor when healthy and my impression is that he's got a good rainbow deep ball, but on the truer tests of arm strength he's a softer, touch pass guy only. Wilson is a touch passer too and it's not an inherently bad thing, but Wilson is also capable of firing rockets when he needs to and I haven't seen one yet from Taylor.

That's a good description of Taylor, IMO.

IMO Taylor and Wilson both get decent enough zip on intermediate routes, but on 9s both throw those deep center pop flies that always make me scratch my head but somehow seem to be more accurately placed than I can let myself believe is humanely possible (more for Wilson than for Taylor on this one too).