Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am

Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am
  • Speaks volumes when the NFL takes more time to investigate than law enforcement. I'd like to know what they found out but we seldom hear about details. Either way, it couldn't happen to a worse franchise. They'll likely be fine though, they've got Morris, and Run DMC is good for 2 big games before he gets injured, plus that line gets away with murder.
    User avatar
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 908
    Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 am
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:Speaks volumes when the NFL takes more time to investigate than law enforcement. I'd like to know what they found out but we seldom hear about details. Either way, it couldn't happen to a worse franchise. They'll likely be fine though, they've got Morris, and Run DMC is good for 2 big games before he gets injured, plus that line gets away with murder.


    I wouldn't say they did more investigation than law enforcement, just that the basis needed for conviction is different than what the NFL needs for suspension. Also, I'd be willing to bet he appeals this, and we'll have to wait and see what the arbitrator decides. This may end up being reversed on appeal, although with the quantity of his history, he's likely deserving of this punishment. Great athlete, but so far he's looking more and more like a troubled person.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 21907
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am
  • Stop making smoke everywhere you go and the NFL won't be able to assume there's a fire. Whether he's legally guilty or not, everyone signed the CBA to let the league punish as it sees fit for making THE SHIELD look bad.

    It's always the same thing with these players: women, controlled substances, weapons, and night club incidents. Quit setting yourselves up for failure. Even more so now since the NFL had to step up its weak-sauce DV punishment after Ray Rice. The heavy hand era had to start somewhere.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3040
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am
  • 253hawk wrote:Stop making smoke everywhere you go and the NFL won't be able to assume there's a fire. Whether he's legally guilty or not, everyone signed the CBA to let the league punish as it sees fit for making THE SHIELD look bad.

    It's always the same thing with these players: women, controlled substances, weapons, and night club incidents. Quit setting yourselves up for failure. Even more so now since the NFL had to step up its weak-sauce DV punishment after Ray Rice. The heavy hand era had to start somewhere.

    This X 1000. This is one common denominator is all of EE incidents, EE.
    When youre a D-bag expect to face the consequences in the NFL. Even, As one of Rog's biggest critics here, I loudly applaud this suspension, but that might just be my hate for *allas. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am
  • No surprise here, but he's definitely appealing his suspension...

    The statement reads: "We just learned of the NFL's decision to suspend Mr. Elliott for six games for allegedly engaging in 'physical force' against the accuser. Mr. Elliott and his team of representatives are extremely disappointed with the NFL's decision.

    "Our offices have been engaged in this matter since last July and have worked hand in hand with the Columbus Prosecutor's office as well as the NFL with their respective investigations. Accordingly, we are fully aware of the full body of evidence that exists in connection with this matter.


    "The NFL's findings are replete with factual inaccuracies and erroneous conclusions and it 'cherry picks' so called evidence to support its conclusion while ignoring other critical evidence.


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828624/article/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-to-appeal-sixgame-suspension
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 21907
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am
  • Sucks that he'll miss games against people we'll be trying to compete with for a first round bye but will be back against us.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2023
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Sucks that he'll miss games against people we'll be trying to compete with for a first round bye but will be back against us.


    The Seahawk way. Although with an appeal he could get to play for a time while reviewed. Tom GOD that walks among us Brady did.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 22178
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:No surprise here, but he's definitely appealing his suspension...

    The statement reads: "We just learned of the NFL's decision to suspend Mr. Elliott for six games for allegedly engaging in 'physical force' against the accuser. Mr. Elliott and his team of representatives are extremely disappointed with the NFL's decision.

    "Our offices have been engaged in this matter since last July and have worked hand in hand with the Columbus Prosecutor's office as well as the NFL with their respective investigations. Accordingly, we are fully aware of the full body of evidence that exists in connection with this matter.


    "The NFL's findings are replete with factual inaccuracies and erroneous conclusions and it 'cherry picks' so called evidence to support its conclusion while ignoring other critical evidence.


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828624/article/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-to-appeal-sixgame-suspension


    The statement in that article by Elliott's representatives is pretty odd. It's reads like they think the suspension is for that one alleged DV incident and that's it. It's pretty clear that the suspension is for at least 3 separate incidents and for essentially establishing a pattern of violating the personal conduct policy repeatedly.
    Last edited by Chapow on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2465
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Sucks that he'll miss games against people we'll be trying to compete with for a first round bye but will be back against us.


    The Seahawk way. Although with an appeal he could get to play for a time while reviewed. Tom GOD that walks among us Brady did.

    They said he has 3 days to appeal it and the league will take up to 10 days to review and rule on said appeal.
    The thing that doesn't bode well for EE, is they said he cooperated very little with their investigation.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:58 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:No surprise here, but he's definitely appealing his suspension...

    The statement reads: "We just learned of the NFL's decision to suspend Mr. Elliott for six games for allegedly engaging in 'physical force' against the accuser. Mr. Elliott and his team of representatives are extremely disappointed with the NFL's decision.

    "Our offices have been engaged in this matter since last July and have worked hand in hand with the Columbus Prosecutor's office as well as the NFL with their respective investigations. Accordingly, we are fully aware of the full body of evidence that exists in connection with this matter.


    "The NFL's findings are replete with factual inaccuracies and erroneous conclusions and it 'cherry picks' so called evidence to support its conclusion while ignoring other critical evidence.


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828624/article/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-to-appeal-sixgame-suspension


    The statement in that article by Elliott's representatives is pretty odd. It's reads like they think the suspension is for that one alleged DV incident and that's it. It's pretty clear that the suspension is for at least 3 separate incidents and for essentially establishing a pattern of violating the personal conduct policy repeatedly.

    Yep, don't expect much forgiveness from the NFL when their statement ignores the other factors.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm
  • It is one thing when someone is found guilty like Rice was and got a slap on the hands (if even that). He was found guilty. He needed a huge suspension (even before the second video came out)

    Heck it is even one thing when there is evidence that is completely out there just in the face of everyone - get it

    NFL having to do a full scale investigation each time there is an alleged incident? I just don't know. I am really really thorn on this issue. Sure the justice system is failing but is it right or fair that this amount of work is done by a private organization to punish their employees?

    I am not saying that it is right or wrong, just that I am having a hard time processing it and fully agree with it. It easily sets up blackmailing situations against players and they can get further into bad situations.

    I dunno - I hope they got it right but still can't really get behind this process. On the flip side I look at Josh Brown and there were years of domestic abuse. I am totally for him getting suspended so if the NFL doesn't do these things how does someone like that get suspended?

    I guess I am just trying to say it is a really sensitive thing and it is hard to be 100% right in how these things are handled
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6759
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 pm
  • no EE, sophomore slump for Dak...here is to 0-6!

    tormented my co-workers here all day with 0-6 talk, was a good day in Dallas!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1592
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:56 pm
  • The NFL should have a rule that, if your appeal fails, your suspension will double[emoji41]
    Aw Mang
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:12 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:10 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:Speaks volumes when the NFL takes more time to investigate than law enforcement. I'd like to know what they found out but we seldom hear about details. Either way, it couldn't happen to a worse franchise. They'll likely be fine though, they've got Morris, and Run DMC is good for 2 big games before he gets injured, plus that line gets away with murder.

    He is a turd and got what he deserved.
    I don't think Dallas will be fine without him.
    Even with him that line lost a couple of guys.
    Sophmore year is a bitch.
    Everyone is going to give them their best.
    They don't have such a weak schedule this year.
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 pm
  • Good!! Beginning of the end for this clown...Soon he will be partying at Blackmon's house with Gordon, Gregory, and Manziel...and about half the Cowboys roster....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4822
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 pm
  • Image
    User avatar
    replicant
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 176
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm
    Location: WA


Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 pm
  • http://boards.dallascowboys.com/forum/1 ... oys-forum/

    http://cowboyszone.com/forums/fan-zone.59/

    LOVE to hear the bitching... 'cause I HATE the Cowboys.... Yeah, total Schadenfreude.... I suck... :twisted:

    Plus, ya know... That's kinda my gig 'round here... All that "enemy forum" crap 'n such.... heh heh

    And the Cowboys ARE a formidable enemy this season... But definitely reduce with this move. This does nothing but help us. What a dumbshit. If he weren't a Cowboy, I actually coulda liked the guy. God I can't believe how willy-nilly these guys are with millions of dollars at stake....

    Youth. I do actually remember it... And oh, how stupid I was...

    Edited by Staff.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    "Most important sack dance in history, because I helped the baby boom in Seattle" Michael Bennett, when asked about his sack dance's legacy

    RIP Les
    :les:
    User avatar
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3478
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:26 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:http://boards.dallascowboys.com/forum/10-dallas-cowboys-forum/

    http://cowboyszone.com/forums/fan-zone.59/

    LOVE to hear the bitching... 'cause I HATE the Cowboys.... Yeah, total Schadenfreude.... I suck... :twisted:

    Plus, ya know... That's kinda my gig 'round here... All that "enemy forum" crap 'n such.... heh heh

    Yeah, been reading those forums all day, their tears are delicious.
    Some of their fanbase think it's going to be thrown out on appeal or severely reduced, nope!

    Jerruh has been surprisingly quiet after being so sure there wouldn't be any suspension. I hear he has been furious behind the scenes.

    This blindsided that fanbase when it really shouldn't have if you've been paying attention to Rog Goodell's NFL in the last 5 years or so. He went after Rapistburger and Shady Brady, why did they think EE was going to escape after all of the trouble that he has been involved with? Because he play's for 'merica's team which has pretty much been irrelevant since 1997???
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 pm
  • Hey, if nothing else, it shows that no matter the team's importance to the league in general, Goodell doesn't hold back, even against his buddies and the cash-cow's of the league. So at least he's got that going for him. I kinda figured that after the suspension against God... I mean, *cough* Brady...
    Image
    "Most important sack dance in history, because I helped the baby boom in Seattle" Michael Bennett, when asked about his sack dance's legacy

    RIP Les
    :les:
    User avatar
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*
     
    Posts: 3478
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am
    Location: Arlington, Washington


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:Hey, if nothing else, it shows that no matter the team's importance to the league in general, Goodell doesn't hold back, even against his buddies and the cash-cow's of the league. So at least he's got that going for him. I kinda figured that after the suspension against God... I mean, *cough* Brady...

    It took him awhile to get there, though I'm glad he turned that corner. While still not a fan of Rog, his image in my book has had a slight improvement, and the consistency of his "punishments" seems to be getting better.

    Still would prefer a "black and white" suspension policy. If you do "violation A" you get suspended for "2 games", if you do "violation B" you get suspended for "4 games" etc etc etc.

    I remember Browner getting suspended indefinitely for a pot violation when he was with Seattle during the XLVIII run.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 am
  • So, Brady had his appeal differed.

    Any chance Zeke plays this whole season mostly, waiting for the ruling on his appeal?
    When you get to Helllll, John. Tel em Daisy sentcha.
    User avatar
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:31 am
  • BlueThunder wrote:Hey, if nothing else, it shows that no matter the team's importance to the league in general, Goodell doesn't hold back, even against his buddies and the cash-cow's of the league. So at least he's got that going for him. I kinda figured that after the suspension against God... I mean, *cough* Brady...


    But, Goodell did kinda work that out in his favor.

    This one? Jerry needs appeased. I think a deferment while the legal things go on.
    When you get to Helllll, John. Tel em Daisy sentcha.
    User avatar
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2877
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 am
  • RedAlice wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:Hey, if nothing else, it shows that no matter the team's importance to the league in general, Goodell doesn't hold back, even against his buddies and the cash-cow's of the league. So at least he's got that going for him. I kinda figured that after the suspension against God... I mean, *cough* Brady...


    But, Goodell did kinda work that out in his favor.

    This one? Jerry needs appeased. I think a deferment while the legal things go on.

    I read somewhere (ESPN I think) that the NFL will have a final ruling on the appeal within 10 days after EE officially appeals the suspension. The bigger stink (see lawsuits, and threats) that Jerruh and EE make over this, I think more stuff that the league can and will dig up (and probably have at their fingertips) and punish him and the Cowboys on. Rog wants remorse, compliance, and cooperation to happen in his investigative process. Like it or not thats how Rog rolls.

    That's why Shady Brady got 4 games instead of 1, he fought the commish the whole way.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:21 am
  • mikeak wrote:It is one thing when someone is found guilty like Rice was and got a slap on the hands (if even that). He was found guilty. He needed a huge suspension (even before the second video came out)

    Heck it is even one thing when there is evidence that is completely out there just in the face of everyone - get it

    NFL having to do a full scale investigation each time there is an alleged incident? I just don't know. I am really really thorn on this issue. Sure the justice system is failing but is it right or fair that this amount of work is done by a private organization to punish their employees?

    I am not saying that it is right or wrong, just that I am having a hard time processing it and fully agree with it. It easily sets up blackmailing situations against players and they can get further into bad situations.

    I dunno - I hope they got it right but still can't really get behind this process. On the flip side I look at Josh Brown and there were years of domestic abuse. I am totally for him getting suspended so if the NFL doesn't do these things how does someone like that get suspended?

    I guess I am just trying to say it is a really sensitive thing and it is hard to be 100% right in how these things are handled


    Good post. It's easy to laugh (like I'm even hypocritically doing now at the Cowboys) when it's not your team. When it hits your team, you see the "criminally" inconsistent farce for what it is. Greg Hardy played in week 1 then was taken out of commission for the next 17 after the Rice video simply so the league could save some face in 2014. I'm still livid about it because his services or his $13.1 million salary could have been used @Seattle in the Divisional Round/Kam Quake game. Of course Hardy is crazy, but so was the girl who was on cocaine, and the case was thrown out. A sham.
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 pm
  • The problem is that the NFL has been so lenient for so long, that everyone got used to the lackadaisical punishments and most of them were a fine at best with maybe a single game tacked on. Just like most capitalist white collar crimes.

    It seems unfair, but the NFL is finally doing what it should have been for a long time and coming in with a heavy hand. Despite it appearing like some kind of personal vendetta by the league against some of the premier teams and players, they had to start drawing the line somewhere to set an example. Players need to start being held accountable instead of being above the law. Some of the stuff they get away with or get a slap on the wrist for would have a regular civilian locked up in a heartbeat.

    Quit going to clubs and hanging out with skeezy women and shady thugs; this isn't college any more. If you don't give the NFL any ammo, they can't do anything.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3040
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:36 pm
  • Love the suspension.

    It'll take the Cowturds down a notch.

    Sweet.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    User avatar
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3905
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:The problem is that the NFL has been so lenient for so long, that everyone got used to the lackadaisical punishments and most of them were a fine at best with maybe a single game tacked on. Just like most capitalist white collar crimes.

    It seems unfair, but the NFL is finally doing what it should have been for a long time and coming in with a heavy hand. Despite it appearing like some kind of personal vendetta by the league against some of the premier teams and players, they had to start drawing the line somewhere to set an example. Players need to start being held accountable instead of being above the law. Some of the stuff they get away with or get a slap on the wrist for would have a regular civilian locked up in a heartbeat.

    Quit going to clubs and hanging out with skeezy women and shady thugs; this isn't college any more. If you don't give the NFL any ammo, they can't do anything.

    Bingo! Excellent post! :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:57 am
  • 253hawk wrote:The problem is that the NFL has been so lenient for so long, that everyone got used to the lackadaisical punishments and most of them were a fine at best with maybe a single game tacked on. Just like most capitalist white collar crimes.

    It seems unfair, but the NFL is finally doing what it should have been for a long time and coming in with a heavy hand. Despite it appearing like some kind of personal vendetta by the league against some of the premier teams and players, they had to start drawing the line somewhere to set an example. Players need to start being held accountable instead of being above the law. Some of the stuff they get away with or get a slap on the wrist for would have a regular civilian locked up in a heartbeat.

    Quit going to clubs and hanging out with skeezy women and shady thugs; this isn't college any more. If you don't give the NFL any ammo, they can't do anything.


    This part doesn't even make any sense. Players that commit crimes are still obviously sentenced to the full extent of the law, if found guilty, regardless of what the NFL does. If your point is that all these players with money can get out of any jail time, well than that's not the NFL's fault. That's obviously an issue with our court systems, and it's not the NFL's job (and is actually very dangerous for them to try to make it so) to punish them harder because of it.

    The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light.

    The NFL has created a huge mess...
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3975
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:07 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:The problem is that the NFL has been so lenient for so long, that everyone got used to the lackadaisical punishments and most of them were a fine at best with maybe a single game tacked on. Just like most capitalist white collar crimes.

    It seems unfair, but the NFL is finally doing what it should have been for a long time and coming in with a heavy hand. Despite it appearing like some kind of personal vendetta by the league against some of the premier teams and players, they had to start drawing the line somewhere to set an example. Players need to start being held accountable instead of being above the law. Some of the stuff they get away with or get a slap on the wrist for would have a regular civilian locked up in a heartbeat.

    Quit going to clubs and hanging out with skeezy women and shady thugs; this isn't college any more. If you don't give the NFL any ammo, they can't do anything.


    I have ZERO issues with the heavy hand. I didn't like the leniency before. Heck if Carruth had been let out of prison the old NFL would probably let him back in.........

    My concern is solely around people getting a full investigation and the justice system saying there is not enough evidence there to even take them to trial and the NFL not only spends the resources acting like an investigative firm but also comes to a different conclusion and punishes based on what they believe.

    As my post noted I am simply struggling with this concept - not condemning it or supporting it. It will create very open blackmailing situations which supposedly in this case is supported by the woman screaming that his career would be over....

    Now you add to this wife's that find out their husband is about to leave them just as they are going to sign a lucrative NFL contract or where they find him cheating on them. How hard is it really to get a few friends to agree on these stories and make something out of nothing to blackmail a player. I do believe the justice system should be the primary investigative arm that the NFL then leans on to decide if someone is guilty or not. Exception is stuff like drug testing where the NFL administers the actual test like most employeers
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6759
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:24 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light..


    It's not a bad tactic to take.

    Take a long time to investigate as to appear like you're REALLY being thorough..............come down hard to appear tough on crime and domestic violence..........then wait for all the owners to pat you on the back.

    You guys have to remember what this is all about, money. When the owners see TV ratings slip cause players are kneeling and beating up their wives? They tell their whipping boy Goodell to double down on "protecting the shield."

    This is just a reflection of that. "We don't care if the police dropped their investigation, WE don't like what we found, so 6 game suspension mister!!"
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12293
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm
  • mikeak wrote:My concern is solely around people getting a full investigation and the justice system saying there is not enough evidence there to even take them to trial and the NFL not only spends the resources acting like an investigative firm but also comes to a different conclusion and punishes based on what they believe.

    As my post noted I am simply struggling with this concept - not condemning it or supporting it. It will create very open blackmailing situations which supposedly in this case is supported by the woman screaming that his career would be over....

    Now you add to this wife's that find out their husband is about to leave them just as they are going to sign a lucrative NFL contract or where they find him cheating on them. How hard is it really to get a few friends to agree on these stories and make something out of nothing to blackmail a player. I do believe the justice system should be the primary investigative arm that the NFL then leans on to decide if someone is guilty or not. Exception is stuff like drug testing where the NFL administers the actual test like most employeers


    Legal justice and employment policy are entirely different things. Without being too political, look at the hot dog guy that went to Charlottesville...nothing illegal or arrest-worthy, but his employer fired his ass. Or they could have just reprimanded the hell out of him. No one wants that kind of association, and the league has catered to thuggery for far too long all in the name of making some money. Players have toed the line for too long and now the league is going to start chopping off feet to set a precedent. And even if there's not enough evidence, they'll still come down on you for not cooperating during the investigation.

    Sure, there's always going to be gold-diggers. More often than not, some kind of altercation occurs and the player's ego gets in the way of just leaving and getting away from the situation. That's always their downfall. It just gives the accuser that much more ammunition. Great opportunity comes with great responsibility and you have to protect yourself 24/7. Hanging out with trash and going out to clubs is almost a sure way to end up with some kind of charges and/or a lawsuit these days. And for what? To show off in public? Look at Boykin...never a problem his whole time in college. Then the night before his final game, he goes to a bar and gets goaded into an incident over some idiots running their mouths.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3040
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 pm
  • Yes legal system and employment law are very different. I am aware. Some employers don't let their employees smoke etc. you can fire anyone not protected under federal law

    Here is the difference. He is being suspended for a committing acts that the legal system said he did not do or at least there was not enough evidence to convict him.

    The hot dog guy didn't commit a crime but he violated ethics and image of the employer.

    I know they have a right but doesn't mean I like the approqch

    Heck the tape where he pulls down the gals top and grabs her is way more damning to me. That should have suspended him for sexual assault and it was right there on tape to see
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6759
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    The hot dog guy didn't commit a crime but he violated ethics and image of the employer.



    Surely the NFL are arguing the same thing and are ultimately his employer.
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2419
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 am
  • mikeak wrote:Here is the difference. He is being suspended for a committing acts that the legal system said he did not do or at least there was not enough evidence to convict him.


    As with the legal system, there is different criteria and proof required by the league office to suspend players. Obviously there was enough there for the league to suspend Elliott.

    It's Goodell's way of saying that the NFL will hold it's players to higher standards than the legal system. Mostly laughable lip service, but never the less, that's the intent and message.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12293
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    Here is the difference. He is being suspended for a committing acts that the legal system said he did not do or at least there was not enough evidence to convict him.



    The thing here is that he wasn't found innocent of the crime. There is a high burdeon of proof in criminal cases. Even in our court system there is a lower burdeon of proof for civil cases than criminal cases. You can consider the suspension more along the lines of a civil case, whereas they just need evidence that proves he more than likely committed acts that were against NFL code of conduct. In the criminal court, it needs to be beyond reasonable doubt.

    You are right, he's done plenty enough to deserve this in the past. As with all players in the union, he has his right to appeal and similar to Brady, if he doesn't like the outcome of appeal, he can take the NFL to court. As much history as he has in his short stint though, he'd be wise to take what he gets on appeal.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 21907
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light..


    It's not a bad tactic to take.

    Take a long time to investigate as to appear like you're REALLY being thorough..............come down hard to appear tough on crime and domestic violence..........then wait for all the owners to pat you on the back.

    You guys have to remember what this is all about, money. When the owners see TV ratings slip cause players are kneeling and beating up their wives? They tell their whipping boy Goodell to double down on "protecting the shield."

    This is just a reflection of that. "We don't care if the police dropped their investigation, WE don't like what we found, so 6 game suspension mister!!"


    The NFL got their tails kicked so hard after the Ray Rice thing that they decided that - regardless of any punishment meted out by the criminal justice system - the dangers of being perceived as soft on DV were far greater than the dangers of being perceived as light on DV.

    I find it very difficult to disagree with that logic.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8144
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:45 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    Here is the difference. He is being suspended for a committing acts that the legal system said he did not do or at least there was not enough evidence to convict him.



    The thing here is that he wasn't found innocent of the crime. There is a high burdeon of proof in criminal cases. Even in our court system there is a lower burdeon of proof for civil cases than criminal cases. You can consider the suspension more along the lines of a civil case, whereas they just need evidence that proves he more than likely committed acts that were against NFL code of conduct. In the criminal court, it needs to be beyond reasonable doubt.

    You are right, he's done plenty enough to deserve this in the past. As with all players in the union, he has his right to appeal and similar to Brady, if he doesn't like the outcome of appeal, he can take the NFL to court. As much history as he has in his short stint though, he'd be wise to take what he gets on appeal.

    Bingo! Great post! :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:11 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    The hot dog guy didn't commit a crime but he violated ethics and image of the employer.



    Surely the NFL are arguing the same thing and are ultimately his employer.


    Yes, that is 100% correct.

    In the eyes of the NFL, he violated the personal conduct policy and did so repeatedly.

    https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/20 ... policy.pdf

    It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty
    of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher
    standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values
    upon which the League is based, and is lawful.


    It's pretty clear that it's still possible to have violated the policy without having been charged or convicted of a crime.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2465
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:02 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    The problem the NFL has seemingly overnight decided to suddenly be hero, swooping in like Robin Hood to punish these big bad players. Problem is, there is no rime or reason to how they are enacting their policy. The farther along this goes without any real structure, the more readily apparent it will become as the incongruous nature of all the different charges on crimes reaches the light..


    It's not a bad tactic to take.

    Take a long time to investigate as to appear like you're REALLY being thorough..............come down hard to appear tough on crime and domestic violence..........then wait for all the owners to pat you on the back.

    You guys have to remember what this is all about, money. When the owners see TV ratings slip cause players are kneeling and beating up their wives? They tell their whipping boy Goodell to double down on "protecting the shield."

    This is just a reflection of that. "We don't care if the police dropped their investigation, WE don't like what we found, so 6 game suspension mister!!"


    The NFL got their tails kicked so hard after the Ray Rice thing that they decided that - regardless of any punishment meted out by the criminal justice system - the dangers of being perceived as soft on DV were far greater than the dangers of being perceived as light on DV.

    I find it very difficult to disagree with that logic.


    It's good logic, but making the Carolina Panthers pay is not. 17 games, $13.1 million that could have been used in that year or rolled over into the Super Bowl year-gone because of the Rice video. The admitted moron (Hardy) even called 911 http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=10934434 and had no other criminal history-the charge eventually thrown out. The league is lucky the Panthers are not a legacy franchise, are in a relatively small market, and have a company man for an owner.

    The precedents being set will inevitably lead to false accusations for a competitive advantage as described above.
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 pm
  • Elliott is lucky he still has a job. Most employers would fire/terminate employees who did the same thing he did. Do you believe they would have waited until the legal system took its course....hell no, they wouldn't.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6695
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:19 pm
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000830169/article/ezekiel-elliott-files-appeal-to-sixgame-suspension


    Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott officially filed his notice of appeal to the six-game suspension he received last week for violating the league's personal conduct policy, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The NFL Players Association confirmed the appeal filing a short time later.

    The filing comes four days after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Elliott after a year-long domestic violence investigation by the league determined there is "substantial" evidence that he assaulted a woman identifying herself as his former girlfriend.


    A date for Elliott's appeal hearing must be scheduled within 10 days of the notice of appeal.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 21907
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000830169/article/ezekiel-elliott-files-appeal-to-sixgame-suspension

    Goodell ... will appoint his designee Harold Henderson as Ezekiel Elliott's appeal hearing officer, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. Henderson heard former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy's domestic violence appeal in 2015, when his suspension was dropped from 10 to four games.

    Elliott's appeal hearing has been scheduled for Aug. 29, Rapoport and Pelissero reported.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 21907
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 am
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6903
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 am
  • I was hoping for a long drawn out appeal............like maybe settled by week 12 so Elliott's suspended for week 15.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12293
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I was hoping for a long drawn out appeal............like maybe settled by week 12 so Elliott's suspended for week 15.


    No worries, he'll have so much free time on his hands, he'll probably get himself in trouble again long before that :twisted:
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 21907
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:15 am
  • Jville wrote:


    If true, Elliot's appeal will get rejected before it ever gets started. This is a common practice unfortunately and is absolutely disgusting.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 564
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:33 pm


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am
  • https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... d/?ref=mpw

    If much of this is true, he shouldn't not only be banned forever from playing in the NFL, but in jail.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I was hoping for a long drawn out appeal............like maybe settled by week 12 so Elliott's suspended for week 15.


    No worries, he'll have so much free time on his hands, he'll probably get himself in trouble again long before that :twisted:

    Vegas would take that bet off the board. He has that Aldon Smith mentality when it comes to trouble. It's not a matter of if but when. The guy likes his booze and drugs and has been told his shit don't stink all of his life, not a good
    Combo of things.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23085
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Zeke Elliott suspended for 6 games.
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2017/08/on-the-zeke-elliott-suspension-even-a-liar-can-be-beaten-and-choked/?ref=mpw

    If much of this is true, he shouldn't not only be banned forever from playing in the NFL, but in jail.


    Sorta reminds me of a mini-Seattle Times/Jerramy Stevens novel of an article from so many moons ago. Stevens by the way (I think) only served a one time one game league suspension for all of his heinousness.
    ctrcat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am


Next


It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online