Julius Thomas

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
So, I'm thinking about another TE that we might be able to finagle from another team. If I'm correct, Thomas is third on the Broncos' depth chart behind Tamme and Dreesen. What are the odds that we can pry him away? He is a good pass catcher and an average run blocker by what I have seen of him, but that's my untrained eye.

I guess they very much might want to keep him as a future low-cost replacement and as depth if Tamme is hurt again, but that might be a fit for us in a trade.

Or we can all get a Kickstarter to buy Anthony McCoy a bionic knee.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't think the TE "battle" is as big an issue as is being made out.

Miller will be back soon, McGrath has impressed me and Willson is developmental/3rd string anyway.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He looked pretty damn good against us. I bet Peyton would want to keep him...Peyton gets what he wants haha

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Reports out of Denver camp are that he has had a great camp and will more than likely make the team at this point. So really I think it would be very unlikely that he would not make their final 53.

I think we would have a better chance at Orsan Charles from the Bengals as he is a carbon copy of Anthony McCoy and the Bengals just draft that TE from ND and have Gresham. Also, the Bengals have been working him as a FB this offseason and reports are saying that is isn't quite working out and if thats the case i would be very happy if we could snatch him up somehow.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Keep in mind that i could look like a great TE with peyton manning throwing me the ball.

I woudlnt be too worried about miller. I think likea lot of the guys sitting out he would go tomorrow if there was a real game, but I think they want to rest him up as much as possible since the foot injury seems to be an ongoing thing, and it gives them a chance to evaluate what else they have.

Don't forget ZM is the highest paid TE in football this year, no sense in rushing him out there.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
themunn":1zwab4sh said:

Miller will be back soon, McGrath has impressed me and Willson is developmental/3rd string anyway.
Uhh, the TE situation is a VERY big issue. Miller is clearly still not completely healthy or in football shape, and no other TE on the roster has caught a pass or even played a meaningful down in a real NFL game. Potential is all well and good, but a team with Super Bowl aspirations can't go into a season with a position like TE being as inexperienced and unsettled as Seattle's current is.

themunn

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":17ah49ap said:
themunn":17ah49ap said:

Uhh, the TE situation is a VERY big issue. Miller is clearly still not completely healthy or in football shape, and no other TE on the roster has caught a pass or even played a meaningful down in a real NFL game. Potential is all well and good, but a team with Super Bowl aspirations can't go into a season with a position like TE being as inexperienced and unsettled as Seattle's current is.

So the solution is to pick up one who has a grand total of 1 reception in 2 years?
Maybe we should look for an Evan Moore type?

Every TE in the league that gets cut next week is going to be one that matches the description of the two above. I'd rather have one that's spent an entire year in the system as the number 2 than one of the above.

Miller is maybe not completely healthy, but if we had a regular season game on Sunday he'd probably be good to go, the coaching staff are just taking it really easy since he's really in no need of preseason practice (much like Marshawn Lynch), and furthermore, it gives guys like McGrath and Willson those opportunities in preseason to get prepared for the regular season.

OP
OP
Smelly McUgly

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
themunn":o4kyweqp said:

I think if Miller goes down, we have a problem without McCoy being there. I think they are taking it easy with him now, but he does have a history of concussions and he seems to take big shots when he catches passes quite a bit.

If Miller goes down as well, we will have problems with run-blocking. McCoy was a quality run-blocker. I'm not big on McGrath as a run-blocker, but Thomas looks pretty solid at it, which is one reason I mentioned him.

I'll have to check out the Cincy TEs, so whoever mentioned them, thanks.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I am hoping with improved OL play we will not use as many 2 TE sets. McGrath looks slow to my eyes and an average blocker. We have not seen anything from Willson yet, other than he is a better blocker that I thought. I am not overly concerned at this point ( a healthy DL worries me more) we can always bring on an extra tackle in obvious short yardage situations.