Season Injuries so far

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
"@FFD: Season-ending injuries on the rise:
2012: 84 players
2013: 124 players"

"@sportingcharts: So far this #NFL season there has been a total of 38 torn ACL injuries - #Eagles and #Panthers with most at 4 each. C/o @reddit"

NFL has record low concussion reports. HOWEVER, NFL has record high season ending knee injuries.

Saw this somewhere else. This is compared to up to week 7 in 2012 as well and not the entire 2012 season.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Edit: never mind. Lrn2readnoob

Wait, so there's been 124 season-enders already so far this year?! That's a rate of over 17 a week. That means you could expect to have a season-ending injury on your team every other week or so, right?

That's too high. That's just too high. Jeez.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2337mlc6 said:
Edit: never mind. Lrn2readnoob

Wait, so there's been 124 season-enders already so far this year?! That's a rate of over 17 a week. That means you could expect to have a season-ending injury on your team every other week or so, right?

That's too high. That's just too high. Jeez.

124 this year, including stuff prior to season games, so injuries in OTA,training camp, pre-season, etc. are also counted, not just regular season games/practices.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Preliminary results indicate Goodell's asinine safety measures are working out great!

Wartooth

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the new CBA.
They basically got things sat up so these guys only have to 'train and practice' hard if they feel like it.
What is telling about all these injuries is the lack of conditioning.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
More guys are hitting low now instead of hitting high to avoid penalties and fines. Hitting low is legal and one of the better ways to take down the ballcarrier now. It is dangerous though.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
hawksfanohio":mm4qw4bs said:
More guys are hitting low now instead of hitting high to avoid penalties and fines. Hitting low is legal and one of the better ways to take down the ballcarrier now. It is dangerous though.

Would have to analyze each play in which the player was injured to say that definitely. But I do know that a few of these injuries have happened because defensive players are lowering their aiming point.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":9cupsped said:
hawksfanohio":9cupsped said:

Would have to analyze each play in which the player was injured to say that definitely. But I do know that a few of these injuries have happened because defensive players are lowering their aiming point.

Judging from the games I've watched it seems to be a trend. I wonder how long it will take until you can only tackle at the waist.

davidonmi

Reaction score
a lot of the ACL tears I've seen have been non contact. Also the cut blocks I've seen have been asanine

rightbench

Reaction score
be nice if they were allowed to practice and be used to the kind of hitting and cutting and running that a real NFL player does.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1r96p465 said:
hawksfanohio":1r96p465 said:

Agreed.

But it does make sense. Sad to see this happen to players, but it's a lose-lose for football. They'll fill their pocketbooks at the expense of season ending injuries.

It's be interesting if someone went through each one to find out which were from players lowering their aiming point. Finley's is the perfect example: TE lowers head after CB begins tackle at knee area.

Erebus

Reaction score
I bring Reggie Wayne up because his injury is recent and still in my mind. He didn't have contact with anyone. Just twisted his legs awkwardly going for the ball. But I think the way he injured himself is a lot more rare than a helmet to the knee.