Report: Donte Whitner to Browns when FA begins

amill87

Reaction score
Outside looking in, that seems like a serious blow to the niners.

Resident niner fans, what's your take? Is there a young guy ready behind him?

davidonmi

Reaction score
As Marvin has hinted at, they'll probably draft a SS

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wonder if the Niners would take a run at TJ Ward, who Whitner would be replacing in Cleveland.

Some consider Ward to be the better player (obviously not the Browns).

chrispy

Reaction score
What if they lose Tarell Brown too????? They'll have to overpay Brown if Whitner leaves.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Whitner was average at best. A good hitter, run stopper, and shit talker, but got burned a lot in coverage. Not a complete player by any stretch of the imagination. The Niners likely can and will do better at that position.

bigcc

Reaction score
HawkFan72":uc10dc8l said:
Wonder if the Niners would take a run at TJ Ward, who Whitner would be replacing in Cleveland.

Ward will command more than whitner I'd imagine.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1bdc7pft said:

Supposedly they're courting Whitner because he's cheaper than Ward.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bigcc":3bvc6v6f said:
HawkFan72":3bvc6v6f said:

Well the 49ers reportedly wanted Whitner back and were willing to re-sign him. So if they were willing to do that, maybe they would be willing to pay a bit more for a more complete safety.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
“@BWilliamsonESPN: #49ers Nothing is official, but strong report Whitner is headed to #Browns. That'd be big blow in my opinion. Makes signing Brown paramount.”

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
163.gif

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yeah, as alluded to before, they'll be looking at the draft.

I've never been that big a fan of Whitner. I've said that here many times, but he admittedly probably had his best season in SF last year. A little sad to see him go, but it certainly wasn't unexpected. I expected them to lose him before the season started.

I'd expect them to bring in a cheap vet and draft someone in rounds 1 or 2.

I also wouldn't expect Brown to resign unless its very cheaply. They already have Tramaine Brock as a starter (started half the year last year with various injuries to Brown and Rogers) as he was resigned midway through last year. They also get Chris Culliver back who was probably their best corner in 2012 and would have gotten Rogers released LAST year if not for Cullivers ACL.

They are thin though. Very thin. Its good and bad....they needed to retool the secondary. No question there. Now they need to sign and draft well. With 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, I'd expect them to invest heavily in the secondary.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2f7bzxzw said:
bigcc":2f7bzxzw said:
HawkFan72":2f7bzxzw said:

Well the 49ers reportedly wanted Whitner back and were willing to re-sign him. So if they were willing to do that, maybe they would be willing to pay a bit more for a more complete safety.

That would surprise me. My guess is they sign someone cheap and then look to the draft.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Browns replacing Ward with Whitner.

Cleveland ‏@CleSportsNews
TJ Ward is reportedly going to receive calls from Packers, Jets, and Bears immediately once FA starts.

Marvin49

Reaction score
amill87":2aalauwp said:

No young guy behind him. They'll be drafting one...or 2.

My take. Its a blow. He may have had his best year in SF last year. He was still a limited player though. Fan-freakin-tastic in run support. Not so much in coverage and could be owned by big TEs.

Great in the locker room though and a big reason Reid adapted so well.

As I said before...Niners needed to retool i the secondary. This is alot though for one offseason. Ed Donatell has his work cut out for him.

amill87

Reaction score
Marvin49":10pn8ytj said:
amill87":10pn8ytj said:

My take. Its a blow. He may have had his best year in SF last year. He was still a limited player though. Fan-freakin-tastic in run support. Not so much in coverage and could be owned by big TEs.

As I said before...Niners needed to retool i the secondary. This is alot though for one offseason. Ed Donatell has his work cut out for him.

Sounds like you guys have to go get a decent veteran. All the draft capital helps in being able to go after a stud SS but that's risky business without a proven vet on the roster just in case.

Marvin49

Reaction score
amill87":vngeriwo said:
Marvin49":vngeriwo said:
amill87":vngeriwo said:

Sounds like you guys have to go get a decent veteran. All the draft capital helps in being able to go after a stud SS but that's risky business without a proven vet on the roster just in case.

Well they still have Brock and Culliver to play corner.

As I said...my guess is they sign a cheap vet and draft a guy. Thats what they did last year with Goldson. They signed Dahl and drafted Reid.

kearly

Reaction score
I think SF is sitting at $14 million in cap space right now, but they still have to sign their draft picks and various minor free agents, and then you have the Kaepernick extension looming. Also, Boldin's cap hit this year is very small compared to his cap hit in 2015, so while their budget right now technically isn't super-tight, it's about to be. That means, as Marvin says, they pretty much have to go the draft route in the secondary. Which kinda sucks for them, this is an epic free agency for elite secondary talent if you have money to blow. And the draft? One of the weaker drafts for secondary prospects of the last few years.

The good news for the 49ers is that they've been an elite defense with average at best secondary play for most of the Harbaugh tenure, so unless their secondary becomes complete shit, they should be fine so long as their monster front seven keeps getting the job done. It's a very similar situation to Carolina and nobody is forecasting doom and gloom for the Panthers' defense.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Who's going to be mean mugging Lynch now after getting run over?

Man, that SF defense has to start looking a little shaky. Bowman out first half of the season, Cowboy another year older, practically all new secondary.