Hard Knocks: Falcons Malaise?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Did you guys watch the premier episode last night. A few things that caught my eye.

-First they showed Mike Smith showing his coachs film from their 2008 training camp and how uptempo and crisp it was, then fast forward to clips from last training camp of players not going 100%, not uptempo an overall malaise. I think this is part of what Pete will continue to have to battle. We all think our players will stay hungry because the leaders are hungry. But Pete will need to continue to get it all from his players again.

-Next, as part of Smith trying to get back to the previous camps, he starts off very first thing with the oklahoma drill. Wanting "competition", You hear it a few time from coachs. COMPETE. And calling for his team to fight and be bullys. Them seeing Seattle and wanting to follow in their footsteps?

-I love the look at the inner workings of a training camp. It was fun to see the difference between their Safety Moores Mansion with a giant palmtree growing inside, then flash back and forth to their rookie rb, buying a cookie cutter townhome!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
We're seeing lots of little bits being copied and incorporated from our Seahawks. It's flattering.

But like literally everything else, people who are really good at something make it look easy. We know better. We've seen how much work and diligence it took to go from a 4- and 5-win team to capturing the Lombardi Trophy. While the "Always Compete" program looks simple, and is in fact distilled to a few core tenets, Pete's process is the product of decades of hard work and strident analysis. No one just plugs in a new mantra, or a couple new players, and becomes a fine-tuned championship machine. It'll be fun watching them try, though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
IIRC, that team is getting pretty old, hard to keep up the tempo. That's why John and Pete keep bringing in younger players and letting the older, high salaried guys go.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Ah, didn't see this thread before I posted on other forum. Anyways, my random observations:

- Not a fan of the Oklahoma drill for NFL players. Way too much of an injury risk IMHO.

- Steven Jackson has completely checked out and gotten soft. When they showed his "art gallery" I knew he was done lol. He's basically a high paid preacher now.

- The Bengals staff in previous Hard Knocks episode seem a lot better than Atlanta's current staff (albeit the Bengals don't have Zimmer anymore, and he was really good). Ray Rhodes has completely lost it (he said his high school coach told him to grab a lineman like you grabyour GF's boobs when your bangin' her. Huh???). Tice is entertaining, but Smith was full of cliche's and coach speak.

- The A&M Rookie tackle is a beast. Looks like they did well with that pick-up.

- I don't think Kroy Bierman makes the team. They gave him a lot of money and he's pretty mediocre (and now coming off an injury). His wife will be the primary breadwinner soon.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I like the show, but I lost a little respect for SJax and Roddy White. White reminds me of an entitled little bitch basking in his personal accomplishments, where SJax is just playing a lazy game.

They are trying to be more physical, literally copying SEA/SF but they are just throwing down, rather than actually playing physical football.

They aren't going to be able to ball like SEA/SF, those two teams have the staff, the Niners ever since Willis was drafted. The Falcons are just lucky they aren't playing the NFCW again after this HK show. The big boys would just run those guys over like a BNSF locomotive and draw the Falcons into a bunch of personal fouls.

Julio Jones didn't get a ton of coverage, but that guy is flat out the best player on that team. Instead of showing film from 2008 camp, they should show Bowman picking off Ryan to end the game in 2013 and Lynch dragging half the team with him while tossing defenders with his free hand.

They are still soft. Surprised they didn't go after Incognito yet.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Figure you guys got most of the negatives, so some positives, just because:

I thought Harry Douglas was pretty damn funny. "I wear women's deodorant. I like the way it smells."

Devonta Freeman seems like a guy you could have a beer with.

Same with Osi Umenyiora. I think he would have fit ln the Seahawks. Garrulous and good natured without being soft.

Mike Smith acts like the kind of level-headed coach you'd want if you didn't know how awesome Pete Carroll is or how to really push a program.

(OK, one negative: I am glad Seattle didn't draft Ra'Shede Hageman.)

@) huskylawyer; the Falcons' d-line coach is Bryan Cox. I'm not sure where you got Rhodes from.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They're in real trouble from a coaching standpoint with a lethal combination of malaise, hot air, and a focus on negativity.

"Don't be soft." "We're not a soft football team." "Don't mess up."

What sticks in these guys heads is SOFT, SOFT, MESS UP. These coaches need to read Win Forever and The Inner Game.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I love Bryan Cox, and yeah Hageman looks soft so far.

You can tell most these players are over compensating with the in camp fighting, like they're trying their damnedest to not be viewed as soft.

Tical21

Reaction score
Davonte Freeman looks really impressive. Should lead that team in touches out of the backfield.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":15s7nb3d said:
Figure you guys got most of the negatives, so some positives, just because:

I thought Harry Douglas was pretty damn funny. "I wear women's deodorant. I like the way it smells."

Devonta Freeman seems like a guy you could have a beer with.

Same with Osi Umenyiora. I think he would have fit ln the Seahawks. Garrulous and good natured without being soft.

Mike Smith acts like the kind of level-headed coach you'd want if you didn't know how awesome Pete Carroll is or how to really push a program.

(OK, one negative: I am glad Seattle didn't draft Ra'Shede Hageman.)

@) huskylawyer; the Falcons' d-line coach is Bryan Cox. I'm not sure where you got Rhodes from.

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. I should have know that. So Cox's statements sound like something he would say.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I have to admit my first impression of Smith is wrong. He seems like he lets the players walk over him.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Ok, Cox is awesome now. He's been the star.

I'm still having nightmares about JJ Watt after that last episode though.