49ers out scored 57-3 in two games?

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Question, I have not seen any of their preseason games I forgot to record it.

So has anyone caught a glimpse of their play. I do not read too much into preseason but only 3 points has to be a bit concerning from their offense.

I know they are not playing some of their players but many teams don't but to not put up any points (3 only) seems a bit odd.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This should have been posted in the NFL forum, it's not directly (or even indirectly) Seahawks-related.

To provide a relevant answer to the post itself, though, I saw the first halves of both games but not the second halves and in my opinion, the 49ers seem to have almost no depth. They better pray for no further injuries. Kaepernick is gunning almost every pass at a million miles per hour even more than usual, too; which I'm sure the receivers appreciate.

The S.C. 49ers could have some problems, their defense doesn't seem capable of carrying them anymore. :)

billio155

Reaction score
I've watched both games. Defenses have been getting penetration on pass sets. Normally, Kap would run in these situations, but since it's preseason he's just chucking it out of bounds. Their run game looks ok. The obvious weakness has been there run D. Teams are gouging them and they can't get off the field. The announcers go on and on about how Deep their front seven is...but it's simply not true. Doresy is out, Justin Smith is getting old, Bowman is out and being replaced by an undersized rookie, Aldon Smith is mentally insane...etc. They look pretty soft.

TXHawk

Reaction score
After witnessing the Blaine Gabbert Experience, Niners fans are praying that nothing ever happens to Kaep.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Kaep has figured out where his checkdown receiver is on plays and seems to think that is where he is supposed to go with the ball EVERY time after staring at his first read for a couple seconds. Touch passes? Kaep has no clue whatsoever. I know preseason is preseason, but bad habits are bad habits.

Tim Ryan did the commentary and has been at niner camp for the preseason and stated the guys are tired. They looked tired and slow. He said Hairball has been hard on his players and will need to rest a lot of guys before the season. He also claimed the niners to be the best team in the NFL and the deepest team ever. Every player on the niner team is top 5 in the NFL at his position according to him too. It was rather nauseating to listen to the excuses as to why the best and deepest team in the history of the world was shut out. Even their kicker sucked, he missed two field goals that were well within his range.

Be happy you missed it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TXHawk":ss4ppz92 said:
After witnessing the Blaine Gabbert Experience, Niners fans are praying that nothing ever happens to Kaep.
"The Blaine Gabbert Experience" just makes me laugh for some reason. It sounds like the name of some really bad 1970's Folk Band.:)

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
I have 3 real worries ATM. Phil Dawson, the right side of the O line due to Boones holdout and Anthony Davis recovering and any Qb not named Colin. I expect the run game might suffer a little but that's because of Bowman being out. Otherwise to me the sky is not falling.......yet.

I recall the Saints spanking us in preseason when Greg Williams was blitzing us like no tomorrow. They owned us. Unfortunately for them that did not help them against us later in the year when it mattered.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":3t54lqnv said:
Otherwise to me the sky is not falling.......yet.
Well, yeah; nobody should think the sky is falling regarding their team based on the preseason. However, would you agree with my assessment that anybody who thinks how the 49ers have looked thus far is absolutely zero cause for concern in any way is being delusional/ignorant? Just curious.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TXHawk":p4igs33e said:

The only other person I work with who is what I would call a knowledgeable fan (one who actually follows his team all year long and not just knows the wins/losses and who the main players are), is a niners fan, and after both games, he's said that very thing. He believes they have zero hope without Kaepernick at qb right now. He has no faith in any other qb on their roster.

I told him to just have some patience, because we have 4 qb's on our roster who are likely better than anyone not named Kaepernick on their roster, and that they could get one for basically nothing once our cuts are made. He couldn't disagree.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hvonku8 said:
Sourdough #49":2hvonku8 said:
Otherwise to me the sky is not falling.......yet.
Well, yeah; nobody should think the sky is falling regarding their team based on the preseason. However, would you agree with my assessment that anybody who thinks how the 49ers have looked thus far is absolutely zero cause for concern in any way is being delusional/ignorant? Just curious.

Only in the sense of our backup Qb situation. If Kap goes down for any amount of time with our current backups we will not make the playoffs. I believe that is the only truly serious concern and anyone who says otherwise is delusional. Aldon suspended hurts but Cory Lemonier and Dan Skuta
Should fit in just fine. Willis hasn't played a preseason snap yet so I will reserve judgement on the Whitolte and Borland LB situation. Boone being out hurts big time, but Looney is improving daily. My verdict is still out on Jonathan Martin.

(Posting from phone and too lazy to spell check players names.)

BamKam

Reaction score
Last week on 49erswebzone: The Seahawks look awful and no way they will repeat.

This week on 49erswebzone: It's just the pre season, it means nothing.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":sn55zvhe said:
This should have been posted in the NFL forum, it's not directly (or even indirectly) Seahawks-related.

To provide a relevant answer to the post itself, though, I saw the first halves of both games but not the second halves and in my opinion, the 49ers seem to have almost no depth. They better pray for no further injuries. Kaepernick is gunning almost every pass at a million miles per hour even more than usual, too; which I'm sure the receivers appreciate.

The S.C. 49ers could have some problems, their defense doesn't seem capable of carrying them anymore. :)

Well the "no depth" thing is kinda a misnomer (sp?).

They are playing 2nd and 3rd string players as "starters" because so many starters aren't playing at all so by the time the "second" string comes in you are really looking at guys who won't be on the team at all or practice squad guys.

Just as an example....Dominic Purcell STARTED both games and there is a good chance he won't be on the team.

Jewel Hampton was in the game in the 1st quarter of both games (end of the first drive in week 1) and won't make the team.

RT Anthony Davis, DE Justin Smith, NT Ian Williams, DE Ray McDonald, LB Patrick Willis, and CB Tramaine Brock haven't played a single snap. WR Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, and Vernon Davis have each played a grand total of 3 snaps.

That's 9 starters who have played a total of 9 snaps.

The second team guys who have been taking over for the 1st team players have been exiting the games in the first quarter....so by the time the second quarter rolls around....you have a field full of rookie and developmental players. Good example there...the TD that Manning threw was largely the mistake of ILB Chris Borland who free-lanced and ignored his Pass Defense responsibility and instead moved TOWARD the LOS. Safety Craig Dahl had outside leverage expecting help and Thomas was wide open as a result. That's a bit alarming as Borland is being looked at as a possible early season replacement for Bowman, but he had a good game otherwise in run defense. Still needs to clean that up tho.

They should still be playing better than they are. Scoring zero points was pretty disappointing in the first game at Levis and it's pretty clear they have a significant hole at backup QB, but there really isn't much to be learned from those games as it pertains to the regular season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BamKam":1v6zewq4 said:
Last week on 49erswebzone: The Seahawks look awful and no way they will repeat.

This week on 49erswebzone: It's just the pre season, it means nothing.

Not quite.

Pretty sure the Webzone for the most part was saying it was preseason because of what happened to them in Baltimore. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin, I wasn't just assuming everybody I saw playing in the first quarter was a starter; I was referring to and thinking about how very few good plays I saw by a 49ers jersey name I didn't recognize, regardless of what point of the game it was in.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Marvin49":1acy68e3 said:
RT Anthony Davis, DE Justin Smith, NT Ian Williams, DE Ray McDonald, LB Patrick Willis, and CB Tramaine Brock haven't played a single snap. WR Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, and Vernon Davis have each played a grand total of 3 snaps.

That's a very similar situation to how the Seahawks have played their games. One would think we'd have seen similar results between the two organizations. And because we haven't, that's where you're seeing the reactions of people who say the sky is falling. The sky may not be falling, but they do have a point.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1oi8nr34 said:
Marvin, I wasn't just assuming everybody I saw playing in the first quarter was a starter; I was referring to and thinking about how very few good plays I saw by a 49ers jersey name I didn't recognize, regardless of what point of the game it was in.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Nah...I know what you meant. :D No worries.

The point I was trying to make wasn't that "oh, the starters didn't play so they lost". It was more that not only did the starters not play, but that the second team backups exited early as well. They treated the second team almost like it was the first team in terms of reps.

That's why guys like Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial who are currently playing with the 3rd team (even tho I think both will move up) have played like 60 to 70 snaps a game. They enter in the 2nd quarter and there are no 4th string guys to relieve them. Same at RB with Hampton.

The QBs tho...woah. Bad. Really, really bad. I saw a stat this AM about Gabbert...0-4 with 2 INTs on passes over 10 years. LOL.

THAT's why they aren't scoring any points. Also why they are giving up points...INTs deep in 49er territory, fumbled kickoff returns....just snowballs.

Someone joked about Niners grabbing one of the Seahawk QBs before...but there may be some truth to that. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them go after Daniels if he gets released. They might be looking at other guys too....I saw on Twitter that Ponder might be a possibility...not sure on that one.

Backup QB right now is a mess in SF. No getting around it.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pre as in pre season, means before. They had better hope it doesn't become after.

If I were a fan, I would be concerned regardless of all the scenarios.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":u841knhh said:
Marvin49":u841knhh said:

That's a very similar situation to how the Seahawks have played their games. One would think we'd have seen similar results between the two organizations. And because we haven't, that's where you're seeing the reactions of people who say the sky is falling. The sky may not be falling, but they do have a point.

I can see that...I'm just sayin that even the backups were removed early.

That's not an excuse tho...and when those backups to backups were playing, it was really the completely ineffective offense what was killing them and its the poor play at backup QB that's hurting them most. turning the ball over constantly and a complete inability to generate any offense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":11ompnmp said:
Pre as in pre season, means before. They had better hope it doesn't become after.

If I were a fan, I would be concerned regardless of all the scenarios.

Sure I'm concerned...with the QBs not named Kaepernick. Also with depth at Safety (especially with Bethea hurt).

Beyond that tho, not so much.

TXHawk

Reaction score
You can't really read too much into the first couple of preseason games although a lot of players need to be playing really poorly to lose by a combined score of 57-3. It's one thing to lose in preseason and another to not really be competitive. It'll be interesting to see what happens in their next game against the Chargers. They'll be at home again and presumably playing their starters a lot longer so if they don't show some signs of life in that game I do think there will be a legit reason to wonder what's going on in Ninerville.