Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
How picky can you be though? Not having his replacement has cost us games and will cost us more. Was flat out terrible timing to sell him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":176iz7up said:
Andrea Pirlo explains what's wrong with American soccer..

http://www.dirtytackle.net/2016/05/24/andrea-pirlos-guide-to-improving-american-soccer/

"Stop running. Just stop. Take some pride in your first touch and stop running. This isn’t Pamplona! God"

I love Pirlo just for #1, get your kid on the booze early and often.

He's right, and players like Yedlin and Morris are a microcosm of what he's talking about. Unbelievable potential, but they're constantly running around like a chicken with their head's cut off relying on their speed over all else........which pulls them out of the flow and creativity of the match.

Yedlin just now is having the light bulb go on at Sunderland.

Anyway, good stuff. I like how Pirlo's conversation about soccer is 80% life, and barely any actual soccer related opinions. But that's the beauty of soccer, it's the CULTURE of each country that creates the player, not the other way around.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Boca Juniors want more for transfer fee for Sounder's DP target

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/5/25 ... as-lodeiro

See people, unlike us who just accepted a measly 2M for Oba, this is how you play hardball in the transfer/loan market. You don't just thank teams for showing interest in your player and accept a low fee..........you force their hand like Boca's doing.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3iabil3u said:
Uncle Si":3iabil3u said:

http://www.dirtytackle.net/2016/05/24/andrea-pirlos-guide-to-improving-american-soccer/

"Stop running. Just stop. Take some pride in your first touch and stop running. This isn’t Pamplona! God"

That's odd because I was going to say I was hoping that you would say what's wrong with American soccer that they pay a washed-up has-been to come over here and play

At lest Pirlo has the ball to say that, and not pretend he's still at the top of his game, he loves the MLS and all the other lies DP players say when they come over here.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zls6h8l said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2zls6h8l said:
Uncle Si":2zls6h8l said:

That's odd because I was going to say I was hoping that you would say what's wrong with American soccer that they pay a washed-up has-been to come over here and play

At lest Pirlo has the ball to say that, and not pretend he's still at the top of his game, he loves the MLS and all the other lies DP players say when they come over here.

He was the starting CM for Juventus in last year's Champions League final... literally one year ago. I don't think he's "washed up"

I don't think he fits the MLS though. Not his style of play.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Lagerway hasn't impressed me much either. The Sounders were much better before he took over. He's definitely made the team worse. Maybe that's why RSL was so eager to let him leave.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1uoe7em2 said:
Lagerway hasn't impressed me much either. The Sounders were much better before he took over. He's definitely made the team worse. Maybe that's why RSL was so eager to let him leave.

I think part of it is Sigi. Most GM's no matter what sport come in and first thing they do is clean house on the coaching staff.

For some reason he had to keep Sigi, instead of going out and finding a manager that fits the way he likes to build a club.

Don't get me wrong, I've been critical of Lagerwey since he got here. But maybe he was hamstrung by ownership that loves them some Sigi.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think it's pretty damning of the ownership. If you asked most Sounders fans last year if Sigi's time was up I think it would have been 70/30 yes. Every manager has their sell by date then things get stale (Alex Ferguson was the exception as he adapted but even guys like Wengers have went stale).

I can't judge the GM until he gets his own guy in, especially as his signings are coached and managed by Sigi.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Guys we are a bad team this year.

Yes the ref didnt help but we literally went into dont lose mode second half when we should hsve attacked.

So done with Dempsey. At his age its time to retire from the national team and show some loyalty to the people who pay your wages than playing in dumb friendlies.

Chapow

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2ytkanb3 said:

At this point I have to agree.

What a difference a year makes. At this point last season we were a juggernaut slicing through the MLS like a hot knife through butter. Now? Ugh, it's ugly out there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3dctslq5 said:

Yes the ref didnt help but we literally went into dont lose mode second half when we should hsve attacked.

So done with Dempsey. At his age its time to retire from the national team and show some loyalty to the people who pay your wages than playing in dumb friendlies.

Agree with the bad team comment, but disagree about Dempsey.

1. Scott had some stupid comment after this weekend's match about "Oh no here we go with another mid-season losing streak." Umm, sorry Zach, you can't have a lull or losing streak when you haven't been good to start with. It's called just being a bad club.

2. Dempsey's asset are his tenacity and creativity...............if he has no one around him to get some chemistry and creativity going like he did with Oba, then of course he's not going to produce. He had 10 goals and 10 assists last year, so IMO his drop in production has far more to do with who's around him, not him.

But yes, this is flat out just a bad soccer club right now, full of over the hill vets and youth that's not ready to carry the load.

PS. Ozzie looks fat and out of shape. Seriously, he looks slow as hell and at least 10-15 lbs heavier than he has in the past.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That's fine to disagree on Dempsey.

I agree with you on the other part.

We're throwing guys like Roldan, Kovar and Morris in and basically asking them to perform miracles. That's not a great way to develop talent or confidence. Morris is a great prospect but I think he would do far better coming on around the 60 minute mark and killing tired teams with his speed. Throwing Darwin Jones on with 10 minutes to go and asking him to win you the game is pointless when he hasn't looked comfortable at this level yet.

Recently we haven't been scoring goals but creating chances- Valdez seems permanently hurt, Dempsey seems to go to the USMNT at the worst moment, Gomez is over the hill.

On top of that the defense has been off. Evans has had injury problems, your asking a lot of Zach Scott to step up at his age for a run of games, Marshall hasn't been as sold as previous years and who knows when Torres will be back. On top of that Jones at LB gets caught out a lot by over committing going forward and Tyrone Mears hasn't been as good as last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2fmi3lkf said:
On top of that the defense has been off. Evans has had injury problems, your asking a lot of Zach Scott to step up at his age for a run of games, Marshall hasn't been as sold as previous years and who knows when Torres will be back. On top of that Jones at LB gets caught out a lot by over committing going forward and Tyrone Mears hasn't been as good as last year.

This is what happens when you have two short over the hill midfielders playing center back.

Torres is hurt, and we knew he wasn't going to be back until mid-season at the earliest..........so why again why didn't we sign at least a journeyman centerback as a stop gap until his return?

Did Sigi and Lagerwey really think Scott and Evans were the answer with Torres out? IMO both these guys should have been gone 2 years ago.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounders manage to snap a three match losing skid with their first road win of the season. Nice goals by Morris & Joevin Jones. Now hopefully they can use the break to get some of the guys healthy.

Latest posts