UW Husky Basketball Thread

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":73sz3syu said:
Not desperately beg incoming recruits to stay committed clinging to the hope that they'll hang around for a year, including keeping parents on staff? Nah, that's not the mark of a great coach.
You sound like John McGrath haha

But on a serious note, anyone who thinks Porter wants to be graveled to or is some primadonna doesn't have a good handle on the situation, or the kid himself. Not sure where the character assassination is stemming from. Very odd to me, and extremely uncalled for

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":odmgc9kj said:
Sgt. Largent":odmgc9kj said:
Not desperately beg incoming recruits to stay committed clinging to the hope that they'll hang around for a year, including keeping parents on staff? Nah, that's not the mark of a great coach.
You sound like John McGrath haha

But on a serious note, anyone who thinks Porter wants to be graveled to or is some primadonna doesn't have a good handle on the situation, or the kid himself. Not sure where the character assassination is stemming from. Very odd to me, and extremely uncalled for

I know he's a good kid, and he comes from a good family. I'm not disparaging his character.

But people have been all fired up that Hopkins didn't pull a hamstring getting off the plane at Seatac running to the Porter's house.

They were gone the moment Romar got fired.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
And it's official now.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheMPJ1/status/845382296555311104[/tweet]

Wiseguy

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":6vdchkv9 said:
And it's official now.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheMPJ1/status/845382296555311104[/tweet]

It should say, "I'M STAYING HOME". I will go to whatever team hires my dad :roll:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Well, Billy the Kid (WmH Bonney), may not think much of Daryl Gross, but his comments in today's Seattle Times are out of this world complimentary of Mike Hopkins. Here's a sampling ...

“I think the University of Washington just hit a grand slam home run.”

And:

“I just really think you’re going to see something very special in basketball for the University of Washington.”

And, finally:

“The first thing that comes to mind is the University of Washington just won the lottery. This guy is one of the rare, special coaches that you’re ever going to come across. They’re going to fall in love with Mike Hopkins. And he will win there.”

It's a great article - for those who haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it ...

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ns-former-boss-says-huskies-hit-a-grand-slam/

If he lives up to what he's being billed as, the Huskies may have just landed themselves College Basketball's version of Pete Carroll ... and as we Seahawks fans know, that ain't a bad thing whatsoever. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I wish I was as optimistic as you Hawkscanner. I like everything Hop represents, but I'm worried we may dig such a big hole that he may not be able to dig out. This year is going to be a struggle. 2018 will be when Hop can start the foundation of the program. It may not be until 3-4 years from now until the team gets back to being decent. As great as a coach can be, he needs the right players. As of now, we barely even have five guys to put on the court. Last I heard, Nowell and Davis are going to ask for their release, but UW will still be one of the favorites to land them. If I had to guess, I'd say one leaves and one stays.

Dollar has been added to the staff. I really like Dollar, but makes me think Hop is striking out on his choices for assistant. A bit weird that he is getting zero pull from guys he wants. Hop really wanted Jason Hart, but USC gave him a raise to keep him. There were a few other rumors on assistants he wanted, but looks like he was unable to bring them in. So he is basically using "Romar" guys in Conroy and Dollar. Looking at it now, makes me think we should have kept Romar, this great class, and added Dollar and possibly Bone. I understand change was needed, but it looks like we may have to take 10 steps back before we can even take a step forward.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Davis has asked to be released for his LOI, Nowell is supposedly next, if he hasn't already

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1xu26420 said:
Davis has asked to be released for his LOI, Nowell is supposedly next, if he hasn't already

Come join the Ducks young man. I know at one point he almost commited to Oregon before e commited to UW for the 2nd time. I've heard Gonzaga is also in play.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":djbb751k said:
Hawkfan77":djbb751k said:

Come join the Ducks young man. I know at one point he almost commited to Oregon before e commited to UW for the 2nd time. I've heard Gonzaga is also in play.
As of this moment the smart money is on oregon

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Diarra has now requested for a release. Very good chance we lose the entire recruiting class. Also heard Dickerson met with Hop and is open to staying.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1srerx2w said:
Diarra has now requested for a release. Very good chance we lose the entire recruiting class. Also heard Dickerson met with Hop and is open to staying.

How many scholarship players do you have returning? He's going to need to find some transfers or something just to put a team on the court.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think as of now they have eight guys on scholarship. From my understanding, Dickerson has not been granted his release (not sure if he has actually requested it or not), until then I'll assume he is on the roster.

Thybulle
Crisp
Dickerson
Carlos Johnson
Dominic Green
Devinir Duruisseau
Baruti
Sam Timmins

Three of those guys are pretty bad in Green, Baruti and Duruisseau. Before Romar got fired, I was hoping Green and Duruisseau would transfer, now we may need them just to have a roster.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think the dawgs will lose every recruit from this class. Hopkins is going to have a heck of a time filling out this roster for next season. Upper campus doesn't really like admit many JUCO kids.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2u5jy9et said:
I think the dawgs will lose every recruit from this class. Hopkins is going to have a heck of a time filling out this roster for next season. Upper campus doesn't really like admit many JUCO kids.

Same thing happened when Altman took over. He had to rely on transfers and JC players for the first 3 years.

Tical21

Reaction score
Timmins time baby! Thybulle is really the only halfway decent returner if they lose Dickerson, and honestly, both those guys kind of suck too, so I couldn't really care less.

I'm kind of surprised that none of the new recruits would stay and play for a better coach. They would certainly get the chance to showcase themselves. Hop's gotta close one.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I've heard rumblings that Romar may take an assistant coaching job with Arizona. If it happens, it would really hurt UW's recruiting in our own backyard. Got to think most high end recruits would follow Romar to the better program in Arizona.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't have cared if they lost Dickerson. He looked awful last year. Very lazy. However, it looks like he is back and it also looks like Hopkins got Michael Carter from O'Dea, Nate Prior from West Seattle and Jaylen Newell is sticking by his commitment.

So things will be fine. We finally have a decent coach and the Huskies will be better. If any of you saw a Huskies basketball game in person last year you would know that things couldn't get any worse and that Romar was a horrific coach. I probably could have gone down and recruited a local CYO team to beat them, they were that poorly coached.