UW Husky Basketball Thread

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Keatts is no longer an option, he was hired by NC St yesterday. I really think he would have been a great fit here, but probably wasn't a realistic option as he seems like an east coast guy.

I think TJ Otzelberger is a very realistic option. He has ties to the school and can recruit the local kids.

My ideal hire would be Archie Miller, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. He will get offers from better schools. Might come down to how much money we can offer. Jen recently said money won't be an option and we can offer somewhere between $2 and $3 million.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Would guys like Archie Miller or Randy Bennett, et all consider UW? Basketball will never be the #1 sport at UW. This a primarily a football school. The colleges they are at Dayton and St. Mary's are basketball based schools. Would the money be enough to get them? They could be happy with where they are at. The schools they are at currently compete at a higher level than UW (meaning they are better). Each year they are in the tourney at the D1 level. So that's not a really a compelling factor. It's sort of like Mark Few not wanting to leave Gonzaga. Why would they?

UW is just not attractive enough for some of these coaches. Oregon got lucky they got Altman. Maybe the Huskies get that lucky but I highly doubt it. They will most likely end up with someone like former UW coaches Andy Russo, Lynn Nance, or Bob Bender. That won't be a good direction for the program. Well I guess we'll have to see what Marge Simpson....er Jennifer Cohen has in store for the program.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawkfan68":237tgchc said:
Would guys like Archie Miller or Randy Bennett, et all consider UW? Basketball will never be the #1 sport at UW. This a primarily a football school. The colleges they are at Dayton and St. Mary's are basketball based schools. Would the money be enough to get them? They could be happy with where they are at. The schools they are at currently compete at a higher level than UW (meaning they are better). Each year they are in the tourney at the D1 level. So that's not a really a compelling factor. It's sort of like Mark Few not wanting to leave Gonzaga. Why would they?

UW is just not attractive enough for some of these coaches. Oregon got lucky they got Altman. Maybe the Huskies get that lucky but I highly doubt it. They will most likely end up with someone like former UW coaches Andy Russo, Lynn Nance, or Bob Bender. That won't be a good direction for the program. Well I guess we'll have to see what Marge Simpson....er Jennifer Cohen has in store for the program.

We are somewhere in the middle. We aren't an elite option like a UCLA or Indiana, but we are better than a lot of other schools. Salary and local recruiting are the two things UW can hang their hat on. I think the Pac-12 also benefits UW, Arizona and UCLA are the only two big names in the conference when it comes to basketball. Whereas if you take a job at a program like Clemson or Virginia Tech it is very hard to make any ground. If you rank all the Pac-12 programs, UW is easily in the top 5, I'd put us only behind Arizona, UCLA and Oregon. The only thing UW doesn't have is the practice facilities. If they can offer $2-$3 million, a good coach will come here. We can do better than Russo, Nance and Bender. UW hoops isn't what it was 20-30 years ago.

Tical21

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if that now means we are married to the 2-3

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
My first reaction was....who? The more I read and hear about him, the more I like the hire. Here's what I've heard.

He was expected to succeed Jim Boeheim after he retires next year.

According to most Cuse fans, he has been running the Syracuse program for the past several years while Boeheim serves as more of a head figure. Cuse fans are very upset and saying this is a great hire for UW. He is very highly thought of, lots of respect from east coast guys.

He is a west coast guy. I'm guessing he wanted to move closer to home and start something new, rather than trying to follow a legend at Syracuse.

Sounds like he will bring in USC assistant Jason Hart. Also hearing he will likely bring in Cal assistant, Tim O'Toole. I'd expect him to bring in Dollar or Conroy to recruit the local kids.

Sounds like Boeheim will stay longer. If he does retire next year, very unlikely Hopkins would jump ship after only one year. He has been at Cuse for 20 years, why leave for one year and then go back after being there that long. I'm sure Cuse will come calling if Boeheim retires in 4-5 years, but I honestly don't think he goes back.

To answer Tical, he is not married to the 2-3. Just listened to podcast with a Cuse insider who said that he was going to switch some things up at Cuse when/if he took over as the head coach. He won't run the 2-3 zone for the full 40 minutes like they do now, but he will obviously use it.

kobebryant

Reaction score
If Boeheim stays a little longer than initially thought it also gives Hopkins a couple years to prove himself as head coach, and if he's successful, he'll be a top candidate for the Syracuse job anyway if that's the one he's always wanted.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yeah I think being from Cali played into the decision. A big west coast school desperate for getting back into the tourney on a regular basis like UW is damn attractive. Let's hope he's the Chris Petersen of UW basketball in terms of turning the culture around and most importantly WINNING again. I'm willing to bet they asked Few just for the heck of it and he instantly but politely turned it down. Few would barf at the idea of being a coach in Seattle XD

Tical21

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":i60lbt41 said:
It's one big meh from me
Tough crowd. I'm sure Coach K and Bill Self strongly considered.

Tical21

Reaction score
:vodka:
Crizilla":1jralbct said:
Yeah I think being from Cali played into the decision. A big west coast school desperate for getting back into the tourney on a regular basis like UW is damn attractive. Let's hope he's the Chris Petersen of UW basketball in terms of turning the culture around and most importantly WINNING again. I'm willing to bet they asked Few just for the heck of it and he instantly but politely turned it down. Few would barf at the idea of being a coach in Seattle XD
Much like Seattle would barf at the thought of The Weasel coming here.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Tical21":2myri7rv said:
Crizilla":2myri7rv said:

Agreed. They'd rather have Romar and lose.

CPHawk

Reaction score
From an outsiders view, I thought UW would get someone with some proven experience. Someone like Archie Miller, or Hurley from Rhode Island, or the Middle Tennessee coach. This hire might be great, idk, but to say he's a west coast guy seems to be a stretch. Yeah he's from Cali, but he's been in New York since he was 18, so I'd guess most of those ties are gone by now. It seems to me the UW was so desperate to try and keep the class together, they didn't want to wait for experienced coaches to get done with their tournament runs, and instead settled for someone who was available right now.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Tical21":3ntndzai said:
Hawkfan77":3ntndzai said:
It's one big meh from me
Tough crowd. I'm sure Coach K and Bill Self strongly considered.
Yeah cuz thats who I was pulling for... :roll:

Sorry that I don't get blinded by the bright orange syracuse lights

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Crizilla":2l8er3er said:
Tical21":2l8er3er said:
Crizilla":2l8er3er said:

Agreed. They'd rather have Romar and lose.
Um no, Few was never an option. No call from UW to Mark Few.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I asked a Cuse forum a few questions on him, all they had were good things to say about him. You can read it here. These are the people that know him best.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/questio ... an.116720/

He passes every test with flying colors except the obvious one, head coaching. Cohen rolled the dice on hiring someone with no head coaching experience. We will find out in a few years if this was a good hire or not. For now, I'm on board with Hopkins.

Tical21

Reaction score
The only thing that gives me pause is I read that he used to recruit then use Boeheim to close. He ain't gonna be able to use Jimmy to close here. Excited to hear what Mitch has to say on Monday.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hopkins coached on the USA team under Coach K. Here is what he had to say.

C7UmyxEUwAA6GeN

Jay Wright
[tweet]https://twitter.com/UW_MBB/status/843651064255586305[/tweet]