2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":54pyuss1 said:
Bobblehead":54pyuss1 said:
Sports Hernia":54pyuss1 said:
Don't know if 3 runs is enough for shitcek.
I hate watching this guy pitch.

I know they don't pitch a like ,but he's always reminded me of Bobby Ayala.
Yep.

Maybe I'm a little too harsh on Cishek, but IMHO I don't think he has any business pitching in a close game.
Like I've said in the past, because of his sidearm delivery when he misses outside of the strikezone he missed by a foot to foot and a half outside the strikezone and most hitters (not named Hicks) won't chase that pitch. When he misses inside the strikezone the ball usually ends up bouncing off some outfield bleachers.

I actually enjoy watching sidearm deliveries myself. If a pitcher can control his pitches well, the sidearm delivery can be used as an advantage.

getnasty

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1t2s1tkm said:
Sports Hernia":1t2s1tkm said:
Bobblehead":1t2s1tkm said:
Sports Hernia":1t2s1tkm said:
Don't know if 3 runs is enough for shitcek.
I hate watching this guy pitch.

Yep.

Maybe I'm a little too harsh on Cishek, but IMHO I don't think he has any business pitching in a close game.
Like I've said in the past, because of his sidearm delivery when he misses outside of the strikezone he missed by a foot to foot and a half outside the strikezone and most hitters (not named Hicks) won't chase that pitch. When he misses inside the strikezone the ball usually ends up bouncing off some outfield bleachers.

I actually enjoy watching sidearm deliveries myself. If a pitcher can control his pitches well, the sidearm delivery can be used as an advantage.

You look at his numbers over the last couple of years and he's not near as bad as you would think. It just seems like when he fails it's in a high pressure situation.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
getnasty":w5l44grm said:
dumbrabbit":w5l44grm said:
Sports Hernia":w5l44grm said:
Bobblehead":w5l44grm said:
Yep.

You look at his numbers over the last couple of years and he's not near as bad as you would think. It just seems like when he fails it's in a high pressure situation.
I think Cishek is one of those anomalies where certain stats lie.

For instance he has a low batting average against but a high ERA. That means he is walking or hitting batters before giving up a hit (which is usually a homerun in his case). Even though he didn't blow the lead last night he was wild. One strikezone chart they showed last night, he was all over the map.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
When a sidearmer's ball doesn't sink, they get shelled...at every level of the game. With a few exceptions, sidewinders are somewhat of a gimic and with gimics, success is often short lived.

They can't generate the needed velocity over the top or with a 3/4 delivery so they resort to sidearm to keep the ball low and with an effective 2 seamer, can sometimes have good lateral movement and sink. The problem is, when they miss their spots or their ball lacks life, the ball stays completely flat and hitters of all levels tend to tee off on them. Or, like Cishek sometimes, their ball will rise right up to belt high-right in the wheelhouse for most hitters.

If they throw across their body from the left side they can be effective against lefties, but on the whole, how many pure sidewinders or submariners ever had long, productive careers?
Dennis Eckersley, Kent Tekulve, Dan Quisenberry, Jesse Orosco and not many more

(And no, low 3/4 guys are not sidearm-Pedro Martinez for example)

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1oz54cui said:
When a sidearmer's ball doesn't sink, they get shelled...at every level of the game. With a few exceptions, sidewinders are somewhat of a gimic and with gimics, success is often short lived.

They can't generate the needed velocity over the top or with a 3/4 delivery so they resort to sidearm to keep the ball low and with an effective 2 seamer, can sometimes have good lateral movement and sink. The problem is, when they miss their spots or their ball lacks life, the ball stays completely flat and hitters of all levels tend to tee off on them. Or, like Cishek sometimes, their ball will rise right up to belt high-right in the wheelhouse for most hitters.

If they throw across their body from the left side they can be effective against lefties, but on the whole, how many pure sidewinders or submariners ever had long, productive careers?
Dennis Eckersley, Kent Tekulve, Dan Quisenberry, Jesse Orosco and not many more

(And no, low 3/4 guys are not sidearm-Pedro Martinez for example)
Excellent post! :2thumbs:
You made my point 1000x better than I did, thanks!

m0ng0

Reaction score
I always loved odd pitchers, Sidewinders and Knucklers were always my favorites :D Was Orosco a sidewinder? I may have to watch the 86 world series again just because :D

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lets go Felix, curious to see how he looks tonight.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
They should just walk Altuve in almost any situation. He's hitting over .500 lifetime against Felix and just went deep again against him.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3t9pyebh said:
They should just walk Altuve in almost any situation. He's hitting over .500 lifetime against Felix and just went deep again against him.
Bean him next at bat. To comfortable at the plate and probably gonna get on anyway, make it hurt haha

Bobblehead

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3ajrrm50 said:
Zun-inooo!!! My gosh he crushed that! The team looks terrific!

THere never seems to be any doubt about Zunino's homers.. this kid just crushes them.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I never thought I'd say this, but, Zunino might backdoor his way into the All-star game. Most catchers are not putting up the numbers he is currently. If Gamel keeps this up he may find his way into that game as well.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":jcnhfsp2 said:
West TX Hawk":jcnhfsp2 said:

THere never seems to be any doubt about Zunino's homers.. this kid just crushes them.
Power has never been a problem, contact has been though..... however not lately.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
9-3 and I don't have confidence we have wont this game.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":h8otvo5o said:
9-3 and I don't have confidence we have wont this game.

We're good. We got this!

And I must say right now, this team is making the playoffs. This lineup is so good, versatile and unlike anything we've seen since the '95-'03 teams. We're going to score a lot of runs the rest of the year. And when Smyly returns next month, he'll be the final piece of the puzzle.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1mi24ipi said:
Bobblehead":1mi24ipi said:
West TX Hawk":1mi24ipi said:

Power has never been a problem, contact has been though..... however not lately.

I think the change in his stance has made a world of difference. He's more upright, hands higher, less of a stride even with the leg kick. It's very similar to Edgar's swing and not a coincidence. I think Edgar has worked wonders with a lot of our guys. Such great approaches at the plate these days.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Nice to see the bottom of the order.. 6 for 9 with a few RBI' and a Dinger.

I think not only does it mean that we have some good hitters down there, but.. the pressure to sustain quality pitches to 9 players is very very tough.. has to take a toll on a pitchers focus at some point.

Oh great.. Gallardo in.