Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2fxljocs said:
Sgt. Largent":2fxljocs said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2fxljocs said:
Bad news: No Schmetzer this weekend as he has to do a coaching certification. Pineda taking the team.

Just for a friendly.

Hopefully they will rest most of the vets and let the younger players play. Guys like Nouhou, Alfaro, Kovar, Adekoya, Mathers, Delem, etc

My guess is most of the starters will play the first half, then sit and let the youngin's play. That's usually how these friendlies go.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3t1aouid said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3t1aouid said:
Bad news: No Schmetzer this weekend as he has to do a coaching certification. Pineda taking the team.

Just for a friendly.

I just saw its a friendly. Phew. Hope they just play sounders b and fringe players like kovar

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
With the group stage of the Gold Cup over, Arena is calling up Dempsey and sending Roldan back to Seattle.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I still think Arena is screwing the sounders a bit. When he called up Morris etc ajd didnt play them, now he calls up Dempsey but allows guys like Dom Dwyer to return to SKC.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3rfr18rh said:
I still think Arena is screwing the sounders a bit. When he called up Morris etc ajd didnt play them, now he calls up Dempsey but allows guys like Dom Dwyer to return to SKC.

Morris and Roldan played the second game. Morris scored 2 goals. Morris featured off the bench too. Roldan played a full 90 and did pretty well.

He played them.

Smurf

Reaction score
S2 has signed 16 Year old Azriel Gonzalez from the Academy.

Gonzalez has been one of a few who has been playing with the older kids (He's played with the U-18's a bunch).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders getting beat by the worst team In the MLS at half. They should be able to beat D.C. without Morris and Dempsey...well they woke up in the 2nd half. Man D.C. Stinks! They showed why they're the worst team in MLS in the 2nd half.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":259hg8zg said:
Sounders getting beat by the worst team In the MLS at half. They should be able to beat D.C. without Morris and Dempsey...well they woke up in the 2nd half. Man D.C. Stinks! They showed why they're the worst team in MLS in the 2nd half.
:lol:

I agree the first half sucked. Kovar and Shipp are not good enough and made the absence of Ozzy really big. Torres did't cover himself in glory at points.

As soon as Nouhou and Neerdham came on the game changed. Jones and Evans were pushed further forward and it made a huge difference in our attack.

Sucks Lodeiro is suspended. Was really dumb from him but I still think the ref over reacted. I saw a tweet that he may be going back to Argentina for San Lorenzo. Hope it's not true.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1zyu1b5c said:
hawkfan68":1zyu1b5c said:
:lol:

I agree the first half sucked. Kovar and Shipp are not good enough and made the absence of Ozzy really big. Torres did't cover himself in glory at points.

As soon as Nouhou and Neerdham came on the game changed. Jones and Evans were pushed further forward and it made a huge difference in our attack.

Sucks Lodeiro is suspended. Was really dumb from him but I still think the ref over reacted. I saw a tweet that he may be going back to Argentina for San Lorenzo. Hope it's not true.

Lodeiro getting red carded was not smart. I'm surprised that the DC United player didn't get carded. He instigated the whole thing. San Jose is a bigger match- now they will be without Lodeiro, Dempsey, and Morris. I'm hoping for a miracle on Saturday. It would be wonderful to get 3 pts but right now even 1 pt looks grand achievement.

If Lodeiro leaves, I hope Lagerway is shown the door behind him. Lagerway is been unimpressive as GM. Yes, they won the MLS cup last year. That was awesome but under Lagerway they have been languishing on the bottom half of the table each season. Prior to Lagerway, they were consistently the top 3-4 team in the league. Look at Toronto FC. They are still on top in their division. An expansion team, Atlanta United, is playing better than the Sounders (even when the Sounders are at full strength).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ismkh2zs said:
If Lodeiro leaves, I hope Lagerway is shown the door behind him. Lagerway is been unimpressive as GM. Yes, they won the MLS cup last year. That was awesome but under Lagerway they have been languishing on the bottom half of the table each season. Prior to Lagerway, they were consistently the top 3-4 team in the league. Look at Toronto FC. They are still on top in their division. An expansion team, Atlanta United, is playing better than the Sounders (even when the Sounders are at full strength).

There is no "but" after the sentence "yes, they won the MLS cup last year."

That's it, that's all that matters. This is the MLS, there never will be decade long dominant clubs. It's designed like the NFL, for parity.

All you want in a MLS GM is someone who maintains a kick ass scouting department, someone who isn't loyal to coaching staffs or players and someone with deep league connections...........state side and globally.

Lagerwey fits the bill on all fronts. HE was the one who kicked Sigi to the door, two years later than it should have happened. He was the one who had faith in Schmetzer, when other GM's would have gone the safe route and hired another journeyman coach.

It's fine to be critical of Lagerwey, he's not perfect. But holy moly he just delivered our first MLS Cup, that should buy him at least another 2-3 years of goodwill.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I feel like it depends on what people view as success. We won the supporters shield and were dominant in the regular season for years then would stink in the play offs after peaking too early. Shalrie Joseph up front still pisses me off with its ineptitude. Some people might like being top dogs in the regular season but ultimately all it does in the US is get you into the play offs. MLS is all about getting hot at the right time. For years the Dynamo and Galaxy were masters at it after being mediocre in the regular season.

As much as we have struggled at points this year, I feel we are built better for the play offs. We have had a lot of draws this year, that come play off time may be enough to get you through with away goals. We've also shown we have the balls to come back from 2/3 goals down on a few occasions. I also feel we'll probably get another DP just before any play off run like we did last year along with Dempsey, Morris not having international duty. We certainly haven't peaked yet or had any crazy runs of form. We're due. We've been super unlucky with suspensions, injuries, call ups, freak refs decision etc all frikkin year.

We just need to make the play offs first and go from there.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1rlsppf4 said:
hawkfan68":1rlsppf4 said:

There is no "but" after the sentence "yes, they won the MLS cup last year."

That's it, that's all that matters. This is the MLS, there never will be decade long dominant clubs. It's designed like the NFL, for parity.

All you want in a MLS GM is someone who maintains a kick ass scouting department, someone who isn't loyal to coaching staffs or players and someone with deep league connections...........state side and globally.

Lagerwey fits the bill on all fronts. HE was the one who kicked Sigi to the door, two years later than it should have happened. He was the one who had faith in Schmetzer, when other GM's would have gone the safe route and hired another journeyman coach.

It's fine to be critical of Lagerwey, he's not perfect. But holy moly he just delivered our first MLS Cup, that should buy him at least another 2-3 years of goodwill.

Winning MLS Cup is not an excuse for starting the season with an incomplete roster.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":1awqsbvv said:
Winning MLS Cup is not an excuse for starting the season with an incomplete roster.

It's the MLS, all that matters is that you have a complete roster come playoff time. MOST clubs don't have their rosters complete and 100% set on opening day. They know there's still two transfer windows to figure out needs come playoff time.

I'd much rather Lagerwey hold off and not panic trying to sign players before the season starts not giving us any wiggle room cap wise. I'd much rather he see how the season's going forward and then have the roster spots and cap/DP space to sign quality players during the transfer windows.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Speaking from a place of inexperience, but it doesn't seem like the team was that incomplete at the start of the season. He went and got Bruin to play up top for when Morris was unavailable, which turned out to be a great trade for us. He got Shipp, and though that hasn't worked out as well, he did get a wing player who could conceivably play along with Dempsey in the middle and Lodeiro on the other side. Lagerway also made that Svensson acquisition which turned out to be fantastic, especially because Svensson has the versatility to play CDM or in the back.

They also had Nouhou in S2 and probably knew that he would make enough strides to at least be an option on the bench.

IMO, the only real glaring places where another acquisition or two was needed is on the back line, specifically at right back since Evans is oft-injured and Fisher isn't reliable. They went and got Leerdam for that, but you could argue that they should have tried to fill that spot earlier.

Otherwise, this team seemed pretty complete to me. What am I missing?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1uparqti said:
Speaking from a place of inexperience, but it doesn't seem like the team was that incomplete at the start of the season. He went and got Bruin to play up top for when Morris was unavailable, which turned out to be a great trade for us. He got Shipp, and though that hasn't worked out as well, he did get a wing player who could conceivably play along with Dempsey in the middle and Lodeiro on the other side. Lagerway also made that Svensson acquisition which turned out to be fantastic, especially because Svensson has the versatility to play CDM or in the back.

They also had Nouhou in S2 and probably knew that he would make enough strides to at least be an option on the bench.

IMO, the only real glaring places where another acquisition or two was needed is on the back line, specifically at right back since Evans is oft-injured and Fisher isn't reliable. They went and got Leerdam for that, but you could argue that they should have tried to fill that spot earlier.

Otherwise, this team seemed pretty complete to me. What am I missing?

If this is the case, then they were grossly underperforming. Even though the early Sounder teams under Sigi didn't win the MLS cup, they were consistently winning the US Open Cups every year. They were also no lower than top 4 each season. Right now they are battling to be the #6 team (last playoff spot) in the division. Last year's team was Sigi's team. Yes he resigned and Schmetzer took over but largely was Sigi's team. Brian energized the team and to his credit they picked it up. But it's back to the lackluster play that caused Sigi to get pushed out. They have been starting seasons extremely slow. I guess with a playoff format all that needs to be done is just make to the playoffs. I hold my team to a higher standard. I want to see more from the team. There is too much talent on this team to see the lackadaisical performances week in and week out.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
hawkfan68":28pyfbem said:
If this is the case, then they were grossly underperforming. Even though the early Sounder teams under Sigi didn't win the MLS cup, they were consistently winning the US Open Cups every year. They were also no lower than top 4 each season. Right now they are battling to be the #6 team (last playoff spot) in the division. Last year's team was Sigi's team. Yes he resigned and Schmetzer took over but largely was Sigi's team. Brian energized the team and to his credit they picked it up. But it's back to the lackluster play that caused Sigi to get fired in the first place. They have been starting seasons extremely slow. I guess with a playoff format all that needs to be done is just make to the playoffs. I hold my team to a higher standard. I want to see more from the team. There is too much talent on this team to see the lackadaisical performances week in and week out.

I agree with you. I think they were underperforming in part. Morris had a nagging ankle injury and was in poor form for most of the year, which is a big part of why our attack fizzles. When he's not out there, or when he's out there injured, there's no direct play. When he's out there healthy, they'll play more direct and try to let Morris beat guys, and the offense looks much better. Like, in that DC game the other night, we had tons of possession in the first half, but it was all ineffective possession where guys weren't advancing the ball into the box effectively or at least getting some decent shots off from outside the box.

The other thing is that they were injured, which combined with call-ups to put us in tough places. Morris was hurt, the back line has been ravaged by injury at times, and now Ozzie is hurt and Marshall was clearly playing hurt the other night, too. Maybe that will get better if we just slide Delem over from right back to CB more often to spell Torres and Marshall (where he looked way more competent in the Gold Cup from what I saw) and then let Leerdam hold down RB with Evans backing him up.

So yeah, injuries and slow starts in general have combined to make the start of this year pretty rocky. The talent here shouldn't be sitting in sixth right now. They can still make a run at the number one seed in the west, actually, but they probably should be first or second based on talent alone. They've also dropped a lot of points that they shouldn't have (at SJ, and home against Orlando City) just by underperforming.

To me, a team that drops points that it shouldn't and that wins games like the DC game or that gets a draw out of the NE game is a clear example of a team that turns it on and off and that needs to try harder for achieving consistency. I was so disgusted the other night watching the game and then after that third DC goal, they clearly just turned it on at will and won it. They have the ability to play attacking football, push the ball up the wings, and have these great finishes off service from the flank or set pieces or what have you, but they don't seem to try for that sort of play tactically all the time, and they don't perform consistently. Maybe it's a Schmetzer issue?

Re: Your point about the U.S. Cups that we used to win (sadly, I came in as a fan after those cups were won), I read something that quoted Lagerway as saying that he cares most about making the playoffs and winning MLS Cup. He said basically that he wasn't concerned about competing for the Supporters' Shield. I wonder if that seeps into how this team approaches competitions like the U.S. Cup. To me, my ultimate dream as a fan is for the Sounders to win CCL and play in the Club World Cup, so I don't like that way of thinking because any way we can win a ticket into the CCL, I think we should focus on to a not-insignificant degree...but that's probably unrealistic on my part, at least right now.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Nouhou at lb and jones at lm is a revelation at mls level. He's still learning but im really impressed with nouhou. Also neerdham at rb (neerdham was great at showing guys outside. We havent had a good rb in a while with evans hurt most of the year, even mears was iffy at points last year). So much speed and athleticism on the wings now. Cant wait to see morris at rm there with them. Would play evans at holding mid till ozzy is back then just have him as good depth till the end of the year.

Roldan is really stepping up this year.

With dempsey, morris and ozzy still to come back the squad depth is looking better. I would maybe sign another dp towards the end of the window before a play off run. Im not sure where though as jones looks good at left mid now and in the middle we have lodeiro, roldan, ozzy and maybe evans. Maybe a cb?

I know he didnt score tonight but i really like will bruin. When dempsey and martins were out in the past and we had to rely on the likes of chad barrett, neagle etc it was painful at times. Bruin is still dangerous without being flashy and hes a good player to have.

I hope we beat LA next week and kill their season. They've been woeful at home. Would love a run up the table.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":133wojsc said:
Re: Your point about the U.S. Cups that we used to win (sadly, I came in as a fan after those cups were won), I read something that quoted Lagerway as saying that he cares most about making the playoffs and winning MLS Cup. He said basically that he wasn't concerned about competing for the Supporters' Shield. I wonder if that seeps into how this team approaches competitions like the U.S. Cup. To me, my ultimate dream as a fan is for the Sounders to win CCL and play in the Club World Cup, so I don't like that way of thinking because any way we can win a ticket into the CCL, I think we should focus on to a not-insignificant degree...but that's probably unrealistic on my part, at least right now.

All trophies are important, but in the MLS the MLS Cup is the most important one. It's how our league measures it's champion, so of course Lagerwey is going to couch his comments like this.

I've been at two of our Open Cup championship matches, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.........and I'm sure the players, coaches, GM and owners feel the same.

But make no mistake, in MLS the cup > everything.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1u8orrse said:
Nouhou at lb and jones at lm is a revelation at mls level. He's still learning but im really impressed with nouhou. Also neerdham at rb (neerdham was great at showing guys outside. We havent had a good rb in a while with evans hurt most of the year, even mears was iffy at points last year). So much speed and athleticism on the wings now. Cant wait to see morris at rm there with them. Would play evans at holding mid till ozzy is back then just have him as good depth till the end of the year.

Roldan is really stepping up this year.

With dempsey, morris and ozzy still to come back the squad depth is looking better. I would maybe sign another dp towards the end of the window before a play off run. Im not sure where though as jones looks good at left mid now and in the middle we have lodeiro, roldan, ozzy and maybe evans. Maybe a cb?

I know he didnt score tonight but i really like will bruin. When dempsey and martins were out in the past and we had to rely on the likes of chad barrett, neagle etc it was painful at times. Bruin is still dangerous without being flashy and hes a good player to have.

I hope we beat LA next week and kill their season. They've been woeful at home. Would love a run up the table.

1. Leerdam*

2. I think a vastly underestimated quality of Nouhou is his decisiveness. He decides what to do, and does it. Jones has a tendency to think too much and will miss a pass or opportunity because of it. The combo of them is very good.

3. Bruin will get relegated to the bench once Dempsey and Morris return. He's a great filler, and you're 100% right, he's not flashing. He's nothing special...but he does the job. He's a lot like Kenny Cooper was for us.

4. Leerdam's passing from RB has changed how we play. He routinely threads the needle to the #10 or #9 bypassing the midfield in front of him. This opens up SO MUCH SPACE for our midfielders. Passes like that get the opposition running towards their own goal and that is always a positive.

5. Never underestimated a team that has a player capable of a Long Throw. It's another set piece. Leerdam had 2 secondary assists due to them.

6. When Morris returns he needs to do more running. He needs to run the channels more frequently. Especially with Nico and Dempsey both liking to play inside. He has to feel comfortable running to the corner. His pace can open up space for others, he just needs to make more runs. If that means he can only be a 60-70 minute player for us, then that's what we need him to be. He's done a great job in his time with the USMNT of running the channels and he needs to do more of it.

7. If Deuce and Morris return with their USMNT form...look out. Both are ON FIRE right now.

8. I wish the service on our Corner Kicks was more consistent. We have SO MANY players who are good in the air. Yet we routinely can't beat the first defender.

9. Our DP signing needs to be a winger. We've already seen what pace can do to our team (Nouhou, Jones, Leerdam). It would be nice to have another high quality player on the wing. Especially one with a bit of pace. I miss the days of Nyassi and Zakuani tormenting outside backs with their speed.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Your right a Zakuani at his peak would had been amazing to have in this team.

I've assumed Morris will end up playing out wide more than up front. Almost like a hybrid winger/striker.

I think Bruin is a lot better than Kenny Cooper. I always liked Bruin when he was at Houston. I agree he'll be benched but he'll be great to bring on as a second half player with Dempsey or Morris tiring.

Who is out of contract at the end of the season? Is it just Jones and Evans? If so I would extend Jones if he keeps his LM form up. I imagine Evans is gone unless he takes a pay cut and Torres if he doesn't get his promised extension.