Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":311fwye1 said:
Your right a Zakuani at his peak would had been amazing to have in this team.

I've assumed Morris will end up playing out wide more than up front. Almost like a hybrid winger/striker.

I think Bruin is a lot better than Kenny Cooper. I always liked Bruin when he was at Houston. I agree he'll be benched but he'll be great to bring on as a second half player with Dempsey or Morris tiring.

Who is out of contract at the end of the season? Is it just Jones and Evans? If so I would extend Jones if he keeps his LM form up. I imagine Evans is gone unless he takes a pay cut and Torres if he doesn't get his promised extension.

Dempsey.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I still wouldn't renew. I dont think he has been value for money with injuries, call ups and suspensions. He has been far more effective for the usmnt in his team here than the sounders.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":nalgg3bx said:
Reports out of Paraguay say Seattle has signed Derlis Gonzalez.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... ynamo-kiev

And a reporter based in Seattle is now saying it's true.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ELROLONW/status/889613486426378241[/tweet]

It seems the Sounders found their new winger.

Yesterday they played great and got the 3pts. Now if they can do that on a consistent basis, it would be nice. They are so Mariner like in they will put up a decent game and then blow the next one. Leerdam is awesome but the growth of Roldan has been key. Nouhou is solid, he's only twenty. Another Yedlin in the making.

I could see Dempsey relegated to bench and brought in around 65th minute like USMNT did on Saturday.

They look to have the right pieces for a diamond formation.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The new guy is a left mid yeah?

So jones at lb?

Still not upset if guys like evans, nouhou, bruin, shipp, svensson are our bench going forward. They'll still get game time with injuries or a change of pace etc.

Frei

Leerdham torres marshall jones

Ozzy roldan

Lodeiro dempsey gonzalez
Morris

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3a6x8tzk said:
I could see Dempsey relegated to bench and brought in around 65th minute like USMNT did on Saturday.

No way in hell this is happening.

It means Evans, Bruin and Shipp won't see any starting minutes anytime soon unless players are away on national duty. Probably move Dempsey up top where Bruin's been playing so Gonzales can play out on the wing.

Great signing, true young international quality winger..............just what the doctor ordered.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Sgt. Largent":16je9fcs said:
All trophies are important, but in the MLS the MLS Cup is the most important one. It's how our league measures it's champion, so of course Lagerwey is going to couch his comments like this.

I've been at two of our Open Cup championship matches, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.........and I'm sure the players, coaches, GM and owners feel the same.

But make no mistake, in MLS the cup > everything.

Of course, but the higher-ups are also talking about making the Sounders a world-class org, and winning the CCL and playing your Real Madrids and Barcas and Bayern Munichs at the Club World Cup is as world-class as it gets. The more tickets into the CCL we go after, the better, and that includes putting out better lineups to try and win the U.S. Open Cup or the conference (though of course MLS Cup will always have higher priorities).

- Roldan being so effective at attacking mid makes me feel a whole lot better about resting Dempsey and making sure that he's fresh for the playoffs whenever we need to.

- If the Derlis Gonzalez signing does in fact happen, this team appears to be incredibly loaded, like "has a shot at winning CCL next year" level loaded. Of course, they'll likely lose some of this depth before we get late into the tournament (Evans, for example), but man, this roster looks extremely well-constructed after the Leerdam signing, the prospective Gonzalez signing, and having pickups and S2 roster promotions in Bruin, Svensson, Delem, and Nouhou that can put in quality minutes when need be

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":15svndnq said:
Of course, but the higher-ups are also talking about making the Sounders a world-class org, and winning the CCL and playing your Real Madrids and Barcas and Bayern Munichs at the Club World Cup is as world-class as it gets. The more tickets into the CCL we go after, the better, and that includes putting out better lineups to try and win the U.S. Open Cup or the conference (though of course MLS Cup will always have higher priorities).

If the MLS continues to grow and catch up to these other top leagues, then what you're talking about will happen..............in time.

Ownership can say whatever they want about wanting to be a world class organization going toe to toe with the likes of the Barcas of the world. But that's just lip service at this point in the growth of the Sounders and MLS.

So we shouldn't be focusing and expending too much energy on Open Cups in order to MAYBE have a very low percentage chance of winning the CCL and getting a Club World Cup birth. I'd rather we be doing exactly what we are doing, creating the strongest club possible going into late summer in order to have the best chance at winning another MLS Cup.

In other news, another attacking mid linked to the Sounders.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... ijon-rumor

Hopefully this is another big signing, and not a Plan B signing because the Gonzales signing is falling apart.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I'd agree except these guys are now signing La Liga rotational players for bench depth, so clearly they seem to be making signings with a deep CCL run in mind. If Gonzalez and Rodriguez both come through, that is clearly a sign that the brass isn't just saying things about elevating the club's stature.

I also don't expect the Sounders to play with those teams (or the South American champ, for that matter) for ninety minutes, but it would be nice to see them there putting in an effort like Kashima Antlers did against RM last CWC. Just getting to the CWC before any other MLS team does would be a great achievement and put the club on a world stage.

EDIT: But I think we mostly agree that MLS Cup is more important than pretty much any other achievement, and I think that we both agree that if the Sounders ever did win CCL, we would totally flip out. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3rsx3gug said:
EDIT: But I think we mostly agree that MLS Cup is more important than pretty much any other achievement, and I think that we both agree that if the Sounders ever did win CCL, we would totally flip out. :2thumbs:

We're getting there. MLS clubs are now far more competitive against the big Mexican clubs than even 6-7 years ago in CCL, with RSL and the Impact making it all the way to the semi's the past couple of years.

Hopefully it'll get even better with the new CCL format. No more grueling group stage, now it's knockout format from Feb to May..........which should allow for more upsets, and more importantly allowing starters to play more often cause it's early in the season, and not some mid August match in bumturd Guatemala in a cow pasture.

Smurf

Reaction score
LAFC have announced Bob Bradley as their Manager.

LA Galaxy have fired Curt Onalfo as their Manager.

LA Galaxy have announced Sigi Schmidt will take the reigns as Manager. They face the Sounders this weekend.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Dempsey is starting tonight, Morris is on the bench. Looks like a 4-2-3-1. Here's the starting lineup.

Bruin
Jones - Dempsey - Lodeiro
Roldan - Svensson
Nouhou - Marshall - Torres - Leerdam

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Without Dempsey and Morris, they find a way to score 7 goals. Now with Dempsey and Morris back they can't even score one. Life of the Sounders.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1hlyz267 said:
Victor Rodriguez was at training yesterday. It looks like even if Derlis falls through, we have another person who can play across the attacking band.

Hopefully Rodriguez has an impact closer to what Lodeiro has given and not like the impact Thomas Bedinelli provided. I hope he adjusts to the MLS better than Thomas did.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":hgg99hx9 said:
Victor Rodriguez was at training yesterday. It looks like even if Derlis falls through, we have another person who can play across the attacking band.

I don't know much about Rodriguez, but he seems to fit the mold of what we need........some speed and attacking ability on the left wing. So my guess is that's where he'll play.

I hope this doesn't mean the Gonzalez deal fell through, but me thinks it does.

Here's Rodriguez's interview yesterday.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/8/3 ... -transfers

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1iwjjqp7 said:
Smelly McUgly":1iwjjqp7 said:

I don't know much about Rodriguez, but he seems to fit the mold of what we need........some speed and attacking ability on the left wing. So my guess is that's where he'll play.

I hope this doesn't mean the Gonzalez deal fell through, but me thinks it does.

Here's Rodriguez's interview yesterday.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/8/3 ... -transfers

Derlis deal is not 100% sunk.

His club failed to win their UCL play in game, so they don't have the funds they thought they had.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I take it Delem would be loaned to S2 for us to get an international roster spot? Would still like this transfer to happen.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":386wusut said:
I take it Delem would be loaned to S2 for us to get an international roster spot? Would still like this transfer to happen.

I also read that a couple teams, New England specifically, have multiple international spots. I think Vancouver (?) just bought an international spot from another club for 50K in allocation money, so that seems to be about the going rate. If they wanted to, they could probably pull that off instead of loaning Delem back to S2. Either one seems a possibility.