Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Matt Harvey has had a great turnaround in Cinci. Great chance he gets traded. But does he really upgrade the rotation? I see our rotation as having a bunch of #3's. We honestly need a 1A/1B type of pitcher to pair with Pax at the top of the rotation, not another guy to slate in at the #3/#4 spot. We already know Felix isn't going to get moved out of the rotation, so it would likely be LeBlanc. Is adding Harvey and taking out LeBlanc really an upgrade?

The other train of thought is add a starter to eat up innings for Marco and LeBlanc who aren't used to pitching this many innings. Not sure we want all five of our starters throwing near 200 innings before the playoffs.

There are obvious teams that have quality starting pitching and will look to sell. The Rays have some intriguing hard throwing arms in Archer and Eovaldi. Both guys can hit upper 90's and I think could upgrade the rotation.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Didn't see this posted yet. I haven't read all of it, but have at it.

Cano speaks

Cano was personable as always, contrite when talking about his mistakes, giddy about how the Mariners are playing in his absence and hopeful when talking about a chance to contribute to the team when he's eligible to return on August 14.

The large pictures on the wall stared down ominously at Robinson Cano as he walked into the room, accompanied by Mariners chairman John Stanton.

In “The Legends” conference room in the upper levels of the Mariners’ offices at Safeco Field, photos of the organization’s hall of famers are adorned prominently. It wasn’t that long ago, roughly two months, where it was possible to envision a photo of Cano flashing that high-wattage smile someday joining the likes of Ken Griffey Jr., Edgar Martinez, Dave Niehaus and more on that wall.

“I wanted to meet with you guys before I go home because you are the guys that are always with us at home and on the road,” he said. “For me, it’s very important that I meet with you guys. I wanted to do this earlier. But I don’t want to be a distraction for the team. So I was waiting for the right time.”

His hands shook as he unfolded a piece of paper with typed out words and handwritten notes scribbled in red and black ink.

“I want to read some stuff that I wrote down so I don’t forget,” he said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ng-policy/
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Matt Harvey has had a great turnaround in Cinci. Great chance he gets traded. But does he really upgrade the rotation? I see our rotation as having a bunch of #3's. We honestly need a 1A/1B type of pitcher to pair with Pax at the top of the rotation, not another guy to slate in at the #3/#4 spot. We already know Felix isn't going to get moved out of the rotation, so it would likely be LeBlanc. Is adding Harvey and taking out LeBlanc really an upgrade?

The other train of thought is add a starter to eat up innings for Marco and LeBlanc who aren't used to pitching this many innings. Not sure we want all five of our starters throwing near 200 innings before the playoffs.

There are obvious teams that have quality starting pitching and will look to sell. The Rays have some intriguing hard throwing arms in Archer and Eovaldi. Both guys can hit upper 90's and I think could upgrade the rotation.

Rays have been playing better as of late. They're sitting at .500 and they seem to think they can make a run at the 2nd WC. I'd be surprised if they're sellers at the deadline. I'd LOVE to get Archer, but I don't see it happening.
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• I’m pretty sure they will be sellers, this is the Rays we are talking about. They already gave us their closer way before the deadline and they are still 11 GB of the WC and play in the toughest division.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• We just don't have the trade chips to go out and aquire an ace pitcher. That's why I think the best way to kind of get similar value is to get an elite level bullpen arm. I get it, an ace starting pitcher is the flashy sexy pickup that would get everyone talking about how good the Mariners will be now etc. However, those guys cost 2 or 3 top 100 prospects (the Mariners only have 1 player in the top 100 and none in the top 50). More than likely they're going to pickup 1 or 2 role player type guys to help in certain specific areas of the game. I don't think it's possible to add a superstar stud ace pitcher or elite bat like Machado.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• I hope the M's can pick up another starter and go to a 6 man rotation for a little bit, also I don't know who would get the start if somebody got injured but picking another starter up would give them a little insurance as far as that goes too.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Decent win today. Healy with 5 RBI is pretty impressive. I'm starting to think we have our best 1Bman since Olerud. Let's hope we can hang on to him. He's built more like a true 1bman than Vogelbach. Tall and long, has a good stretch and grab. Was in a slump at the plate for a while, but 18 dingers already is pretty decent power.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• On the Cano thing, he knew what he was doing and got caught. The players are given a list of banned supplements/masking agents before the season. I suspected he was juiced up back when he played for the yanks. He needs to own it. Half hearted apologies don’t cut it my book. Admit you cheated, and move on.

FWIW, I’m a fan of his.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Fast Eddie, Cruz, and Haniger made the all star team.

Segura should have, but he’s on the final 5 vote which will be a long shot with a Yankee and redsox also on the final vote.
    Best hope is an injury replacement.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• sutz wrote:Decent win today. Healy with 5 RBI is pretty impressive. I'm starting to think we have our best 1Bman since Olerud. Let's hope we can hang on to him. He's built more like a true 1bman than Vogelbach. Tall and long, has a good stretch and grab. Was in a slump at the plate for a while, but 18 dingers already is pretty decent power.

Vogelbach is a DH. Dude needs to lose a few lbs if he wants to stick in the bigs. Guy can’t field or run, he’s strictly a hitter that K’s too much.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• sutz wrote:Decent win today. Healy with 5 RBI is pretty impressive. I'm starting to think we have our best 1Bman since Olerud. Let's hope we can hang on to him. He's built more like a true 1bman than Vogelbach. Tall and long, has a good stretch and grab. Was in a slump at the plate for a while, but 18 dingers already is pretty decent power.

Strangely, the knock on him was his defense, but he's been steller defensively.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Decent win today. Healy with 5 RBI is pretty impressive. I'm starting to think we have our best 1Bman since Olerud. Let's hope we can hang on to him. He's built more like a true 1bman than Vogelbach. Tall and long, has a good stretch and grab. Was in a slump at the plate for a while, but 18 dingers already is pretty decent power.

Vogelbach is a DH. Dude needs to lose a few lbs if he wants to stick in the bigs. Guy can’t field or run, he’s strictly a hitter that K’s too much.

I still hate that trade. Really liked montgomery
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Watching the highlights, great win today. If Seattle can sweep the Angels and then take 2 out of 3 against the Rockies, I would be extremely happy. I know its asking a lot, but I believe its do-able. They just got to put it all together. Stay healthy.

On a side note: the AL Central and the National League as a whole really sucks. But whatever, I'll be happy if we at least end up getting a wild card anyways.
    L.O.B.
    Adopt a rookie: Tre Flowers
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy wrote:

I love the fact he is a little pissed that some of his other teammates didn’t make it. I’m guessing Segura and Pax.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hard to make as an all-star in the AL as an SS. BUT there is no reason that Pax is not an all-star over JA Happ. That is just BS
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:Hard to make as an all-star in the AL as an SS. BUT there is no reason that Pax is not an all-star over JA Happ. That is just BS

You can thank the rule that every team has to have one All-Star for that.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Nice win yesterday, Healy stole the show. I really like him, best guys we've had at first in a long time. I'm just glad stranding runners on 3rd with no outs didn't hurt us, think we did that twice yesterday. Pretty awesome watching Colome and Diaz strike out the side in the final two innings.

Yeah Segura and Pax probably got snubbed. Snell was even more of a snub though, he leads the AL in ERA. To be fair, Pax hasn't pitched like an all star the past month. The problem with Segura is that shortstop is like the PG position in the NBA, it is loaded, particularly in the AL. I don't see him getting the fan vote ahead of Stanton. I'm fine with it, him and Pax will play with chips on their shoulders and get extra rest time.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Interesting moves. I'm really down with giving Felix some time off. Wonder what kind of hangnail they will claim for him. I guess he had back spasms a few days ago. Let's go with that. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Yep, giving his back a break.

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Kole Calhoun is the ultimate Mariners killer. Despite that, he's easily my most disliked player in the league, with Rougned Odor a close second.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Cole is a dewsh, period.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• How many times have I mentioned how much I hate, hate, HATE losing to the Angels. :evil:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• No corny hashtag needed, Send Segura
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Leake left hanging pitches right in the middle of the strike zone all day yesterday, Marco tonight located his pitchers like an absolute mad man.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• So......Marco Gonzolez is going to be a 20 game winner?

Also, I hope everyone is enjoying Edwin Diaz's last MLB season. He is going to save 80 games this year and his arm is going to fall off on the last day of the season.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• sdog1981 wrote:So......Marco Gonzolez is going to be a 20 game winner?

Also, I hope everyone is enjoying Edwin Diaz's last MLB season. He is going to save 80 games this year and his arm is going to fall off on the last day of the season.

Will his final strikeout be recorded via the underhanded floater?
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Segura goes to Washington. Gonzalez was dealing tonight. Colome channels his inner Rodney, but gets it done. Diaz is Diaz.

Sure, could use a bit more offense, but seeing Freitus putting one over Trout's glove was kind of sweet.

All in all, a great day for Mariner's baseball.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Threedee wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:So......Marco Gonzolez is going to be a 20 game winner?

Will his final strikeout be recorded via the underhanded floater?

Oh, man, I remember that movie. Rember they also got a guy out at first using the mound visit first baseman ball exchange trick. But seriously all jokes aside go back and look at what happened after a closer sets the MLB record for saves in a season.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• How great is the Marco pickup looking these days? Dude is money, and looks to be getting even better. Just seems very calm out there and not intimidated at all. This kid is all of 26 years old (edit), and he clearly is a #2 on this team. St. Louis really screwed the pooch on this one. Sure the M's gave up a prospect, but I'll take a guy who is doing what he is doing every day of the week. Prospects are just that, and Dipoto had the guts to let one go, and it's clearly paying off.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:How great is the Marco pickup looking these days? Dude is money, and looks to be getting even better. Just seems very calm out there and not intimidated at all. This kid is all of 22 years old, and he clearly is a #2 on this team. St. Louis really screwed the pooch on this one. Sure the M's gave up a prospect, but I'll take a guy who is doing what he is doing every day of the week. Prospects are just that, and Dipoto had the guts to let one go, and it's clearly paying off.

Well, Marco was recovering from Tommy John surgery, so he was a bit of a risk. He took a while to get into form last year, and this year he's been stellar. It's normal to take two year to get back from that.

Love the kid, though. Who would have thought he'd be the first to 10 wins?

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Seems way too early to give up on a guy. But I sure am glad they did :2thumbs:
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Marco Gonzales is 26 actually. Still a great pickup though. It's awesome that he is under club control through the 2023 season!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• They said he was 22 on 710 today. Funny :lol:
    And those guys get paid to know these things. Still a young buck :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• The Athletics took 3 of 4 from Houston in Houston. They're 19-5 in their last 24.

Oh, and 17-5 since Jim Moore shot his mouth off.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Pax needs to learn to pitch inside and knock guys back off the plate. Wonderful, now Pax is hurt.
    If this was the shack I’d tell the Baseball Gawds where to go and how to get there! :x

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• SoulfishHawk wrote:They said he was 22 on 710 today. Funny :lol:
    And those guys get paid to know these things. Still a young buck :irishdrinkers:

I heard that too, LOL. Less fluff, more accuracy from these gomers would be nice.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Pax needs to learn to pitch inside and knock guys back off the plate. Wonderful, now Pax is hurt.
    If this was the shack I’d tell the Baseball Gawds where to go and how to get there! :x

After Jim Moore, I heard Bob, Groz, and Tom jumping on the jinx bandwagon this week. Idiots! This is Seattle! You don't tempt fate!
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Paxton hurt, guy just can’t stay healthy for a full season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Paxton hurt, guy just can’t stay healthy for a full season.

It looked like he was favoring his back a batter or two earlier than when he was pulled. He was nibbling, not quite right from the get-go.

Good timing, though, with the All Star break next week. Maybe he won't miss too many starts.

Looks like Servais is just running through the pen to give everybody work. Might as well.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• The team is definitely struggling a bit the past week or two. A lot of the worries about this team prior to the season are starting to surface, particularly the starting pitching. I'm hoping Pax and Felix will both be available right after the all star break, but who knows with those two. Both have missed a lot of games in past seasons. The A's aren't far behind, I really don't want to see them within 3 or 4 games by the all star break. I still think we are the much better team than them, but I think it is foolish of the people who think we should have been rooting for Oakland when they played Houston. We are not catching up to Houston. Just isn't happening. Much greater chance the A's surpass us than us taking the division. I still think we get the wild card but I'm starting to have my worries about how far we can go. Starting pitching is a big questionmark, and even more with the recent injuries.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Looks like Pax won't really miss anytime, is suppose to start July 24th.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Looks like Pax won't really miss anytime, is suppose to start July 24th.

Hopefully. Back problems can be notoriously hard to spot and treat.

:pray:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Looks like Pax won't really miss anytime, is suppose to start July 24th.

Yeah reminds me of hamstring injuries in football. Can linger and be unpredictable.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Looks like Pax won't really miss anytime, is suppose to start July 24th.

Yeah reminds me of hamstring injuries in football. Can linger and be unpredictable.

High ankle sprains. I remember Anthony Simmons one year strung that one out for 4 or 5 months. :pukeface:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• DAMNIT, GAMEL! THAT WOULD'VE BEEN A RUN, YOU TURD!
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Are we regressing? We are 21 games over .500 but only have a run differential of +2. Pythagorean W-L says we should only be 48-47.

I think we will be fine, we just need to get healthy, and obviously doesn't help that Cruz can only pinch hit in the NL. My main worry is the starting pitching. The innings are piling up.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• We all of a sudden, miss Cano.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Making a no-name ham and egger look like CY YOUNG!
    This team looks dog tired right now!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information