2019 NFL Draft Thread

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hopefully not quantity over quality. Guess we will see. Just sick of seeing other teams picking and not us. You guys probably know and watch more college stuff than I do.

justafan

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2261clne said:
Hopefully not quantity over quality. Guess we will see. Just sick of seeing other teams picking and not us. You guys probably know and watch more college stuff than I do.

The thing is nobody really knows how a kid will develop.Nobody. People act like they do but the same teams pick in the top 15 every year and never improve.The meat and potatoes of a team come in the later rounds.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hard to believe only 3 WR's have been taken so far...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3f8l3t9h said:

We're gonna be in the same tier of talent until late in the second round, draft falls off a bit after round 3 but the first 3 rounds are loaded. Makes sense to add selections. I don't think they would've pulled the trigger for multiple lower picks, I think they really wanted a 3rd from Carolina to get it done. JS has been open about his belief that the draft falls off after round 3 this year.

Pete's a quantity guy that believes more picks is better, since his strength is player development - and he's right, he's pretty dang good at that.

Rat

Reaction score
Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

I don't know what the draft board looks like, so whatever, but I'm concerned we're taking this strategy to an extreme, and are perhaps getting too cute. I hope Schneider and Carroll have been accurately determining where they guys they like are going. It's not like they're going to tell us how much talent they missed out on by miscalculating.

Value is excellent on the Panthers trade though. Way better than the first two trade-downs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":3cg6ywg0 said:
Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

I don't know what the draft board looks like, so whatever, but I'm concerned we're taking this strategy to an extreme, and are perhaps getting too cute. I hope Schneider and Carroll have been accurately determining where they guys they like are going. It's not like they're going to tell us how much talent they missed out on by miscalculating.

Value is excellent on the Panthers trade though. Way better than the first two trade-downs.

Another perspective to consider is that having so many more picks in the first 160 picks (9) this year allows them to lean heavily towards going straight-up best player available rather than reaching on urgent roster needs. May end up with better quality on top of quantity due to the freedom allowed by having so many worthwhile selections.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ten picks, not bad we have had redshirt guys and guys trying to recover from injuries as well as F.A. roll players brought in for the last couple years, if they have reached their ceiling or have not recovered we need a new batch of guys to turn over that are cheaper, remember that wage goes up every year we keep them here.

justafan

Reaction score
Rat":256405xv said:

4 picks you might get a decent starter.2 is a huge win. 10 picks hopefully you get 3, 4 maybe 5 starters, maybe even strike gold you never know.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3suzte6b said:
We're gonna be in the same tier of talent until late in the second round, draft falls off a bit after round 3 but the first 3 rounds are loaded.
Sucks then that we loaded up on 4th and 5th rounders when we traded down yesterday. Would have been nice to have a couple of more picks in that meaty 3rd round. I suppose we have the ammo to trade up from the 4th.

Rat

Reaction score
justafan":1zusabs2 said:
Rat":1zusabs2 said:

4 picks you might get a decent starter.2 is a huge win. 10 picks hopefully you get 3, 4 maybe 5 starters, maybe even strike gold you never know.

Yeah, but statistically those picks are much likely to hit if they're earlier.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Rat":22gj0jon said:
justafan":22gj0jon said:
Rat":22gj0jon said:

Show me the stats so we can compare. I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to see the actual %, not guesses.

There's no question that Pete and John know the numbers.

Rat

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1hlabm7u said:
Rat":1hlabm7u said:
justafan":1hlabm7u said:
Rat":1hlabm7u said:

Show me the stats so we can compare. I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to see the actual %, not guesses.

Seems logical. Look back at each draft and the earlier rounds have many more difference makers than the later rounds.

I guess John and Pete hope that getting an absurd amount of later picks can close or surpass that gap. They did well with it early on, but aren't hitting on as many in recent years.

Hope I'm wrong. Just think they're doing it too much for a team that doesn't need THAT many spots filled. There are only 53 on a team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A-Dog":1u379dvz said:
Maelstrom787":1u379dvz said:
We're gonna be in the same tier of talent until late in the second round, draft falls off a bit after round 3 but the first 3 rounds are loaded.
Sucks then that we loaded up on 4th and 5th rounders when we traded down yesterday. Would have been nice to have a couple of more picks in that meaty 3rd round. I suppose we have the ammo to trade up from the 4th.

Careful, now. They're going to be referring to the 3rd round based on how they've graded their board, not necessarily the literal third round. Could probably get some guys with 3rd grades in late 3rd/early 4th.

Plus, tons of ammo to come up and snipe their guys.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Rat":2y81j1p5 said:
Ad Hawk":2y81j1p5 said:
Rat":2y81j1p5 said:
justafan":2y81j1p5 said:

Seems logical. Look back at each draft and the earlier rounds have many more difference makers than the later rounds.

I guess John and Pete hope that getting an absurd amount of later picks can close or surpass that gap. They did well with it early on, but aren't hitting on as many in recent years.

Hope I'm wrong. Just think they're doing it too much for a team that doesn't need THAT many spots filled. There are only 53 on a team.

Here is the data.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/201 ... fae347495b

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rat":1k638vky said:
Ad Hawk":1k638vky said:
Rat":1k638vky said:
justafan":1k638vky said:

They may also use those picks to move up and grab a player in a higher round as well.

But all those names of players that people on here were clamoring for are still on the board

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2qahgo17 said:
Rat":2qahgo17 said:
Ad Hawk":2qahgo17 said:
Rat":2qahgo17 said:

They may also use those picks to move up and grab a player in a higher round as well.

But all those names of players that people on here were clamoring for are still on the board

Kind of shows that the big name picks everyone was hoping for would have been a waste in a earlier pick if they are still there.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Now even Greedy s gone. So,trade down again? Might as well draft me idiots.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Why have this pick from Buffalo come out during the Hawks pick? He was picked awhile ago? Jeeesshhhh!