49ers coaching search continues...

Jville

Reaction score
Shanahan is made to order. In fact, I think he could tolerate Baalke picking his offensive and defensive coordinators ...
among other things.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/687392413057323008[/tweet]

RichNhansom

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":xkx02o4h said:
So as Hawks fans would we rather them get Koetter, Kelly or Shannahan.

I'm thinking inexperienced Koetter has the lowest ceiling and highest probability of face planting. He wasn't great as a college head coach and we've seen "good coordinators" fail badly when given the keys to the circus. I legit don't want to play Kelly, Jeff Fisher and Arians twice a year they scheme against pete too much.

I'm not sure it really matters. They have zero talent anywhere on the offense outside possibly Hyde if he somehow learns to stay healthy and a GM that has a proven track record of even with a bazillion picks can't find a starter quality offensive player to save his franchise. Seriously who has Ballke drafted on offense since McLouhan's board wasn't available?

At least Harbaugh had Gore, Crabtree, Iupati, Anthony Davis, VD , Michael Robinson, Delanie Walker and Joe Staley. Staley is still there but getting old. What will their next HC be getting to help his offense?

I really don't see any light on the horizon unless there is a super secret coach out there no one knows about that can take the scraps left and somehow get them to perform because I don't think Timmay has any shot of replacing the talent that Harbaugh was given.

Pretty amazing how poorly Timmay has managed the personnel on that roster and yet still has a job. He must have some kind of talent that lil Jed enjoys.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
rigelian":1ack6esb said:
Latest rumors have the 49ers closing in on Mike Shanahan. I don't think that is a good thing for the 49ers. As a Seahawks fan...this is almost perfect.
If the Niners hire Shanahan then Kaepernick better hope he gets released so he can still have a chance to salvage his career.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2orywhjn said:
rigelian":2orywhjn said:
Latest rumors have the 49ers closing in on Mike Shanahan. I don't think that is a good thing for the 49ers. As a Seahawks fan...this is almost perfect.
If the Niners hire Shanahan then Kaepernick better hope he gets released so he can still have a chance to salvage his career.

I dunno...RGIII was pretty damn good before he got hurt. I kinda put more of that injury on RGIII than Shanahan. RGIII just doesn't protect himself well and takes much bigger hits than he should.

I mean his initial injury was 10-20 yards downfield when he was crushed by Haloti Ngata. I mean, why the hell do you get anywhere near that guy and not slide.

This isn't BTW an effor to say "great hire" if they get Shanahan, but its a quantum leap up from what they were last year.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Marvin49":3r27fdcq said:
SeatownJay":3r27fdcq said:
rigelian":3r27fdcq said:

I dunno...RGIII was pretty damn good before he got hurt. I kinda put more of that injury on RGIII than Shanahan. RGIII just doesn't protect himself well and takes much bigger hits than he should.

I mean his initial injury was 10-20 yards downfield when he was crushed by Haloti Ngata. I mean, why the hell do you get anywhere near that guy and not slide.

This isn't BTW an effor to say "great hire" if they get Shanahan, but its a quantum leap up from what they were last year.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/14/co...-harrison-smith-during-monday-night-football/

LOL :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":27394eyz said:
Marvin49":27394eyz said:
SeatownJay":27394eyz said:
rigelian":27394eyz said:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/14/co...-harrison-smith-during-monday-night-football/

Right...because thats the same thing. :sarcasm_on:

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Marvin49":148go8f5 said:
HunnyBadger":148go8f5 said:
Marvin49":148go8f5 said:
SeatownJay":148go8f5 said:

Hmmm... let's see...should I lunge forward into a defender or get out of bounds?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Shanny's a noted QB killer and has had public falling out with a number of his former pupils -- Plummer, McNabb, RGIII. His son is on a similar trajectory with Matt Ryan. Would be interesting to see how he handled Kap. Plummer once said Shanny was more concerned about putting up points than getting wins, which ultimately led to his downfall in Denver.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":10uoz04u said:
Marvin49":10uoz04u said:
HunnyBadger":10uoz04u said:
Marvin49":10uoz04u said:

Hmmm... let's see...should I lunge forward into a defender or get out of bounds?

I was at the game...he FELL forward because he was tripped up. Watch it again. He wasn't intending to do that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Mike Shanahan will be a great hire for SF if they can go back in time and get 1998 Terrell Davis and 1998 John Elway

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laloosh

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/687424236114341888[/tweet]

sc85sis

Reaction score
Popeyejones":36ymliez said:
Scottemojo":36ymliez said:
3 of the 4 NFC West teams have coaches who are heavily involved in choosing the players in the draft. The one that does not is picking highest in the draft.

This is simply untrue.

The division winner (the Cardinals) have a power structure in which Arians reports to the GM Keim, who has final say over all draft and free agency decisions, and also has final say over the 53 man roster. Arians only has final say over the active 46 in any given week. They did this because they regretted having given Wisenhunt control over the 53 in his contract.

The 2nd place team in the division (the Seahawks) give final say to all FA and draft decisions to Snyder, but final say over the 53 to Carroll.

The 3rd place Rams went for an even more equivalent GM/Coach relationship than the Seahawks, placing Snead and Fisher at equivalent levels in the hierarchy, with both of them reporting to the owner (Kroenke)

The last place 9ers have the same structure and division of labor as the 1st place Cardinals.

To suggest otherwise is simply dishonest or an honest mistake.

If you want to lean on "heavily involved", EVERY NFL team has both the coach and GM heavily involved in player selection process. There's not a team in the NFL that doesn't operate that way.

Two things:

1) As stated in this thread and born out over the years, having a division of labor between the GM and HC is just a better strategy with a higher probability of success.

2) As I may have said in this thread (or some other thread) a few days ago, often times in this division of labor the sticking point between "boss of the off-season" (i.e. GM) and "boss of the season" (i.e. the HC) is final say over the 53 man roster. The Cards don't give it to Arians because they got burned giving it to Wisenhunt, whereas the Seahawks do give it to Carroll.
Pete has final say over all player personnel decisions, not just the roster. He has chosen almost 100% of the time to let John make the final decision re: drafting, etc, but the deal from the beginning was that if they didn't agree, it would be Pete's final call to make. That was the only way Pete would ever take another NFL coaching job and the reason he had previously said he didn't think he'd ever leave USC--he didn't expect a team to agree to it until Seattle came calling.

Edit to add: http://www.seattletimes.com/news/how-pe ... culture-2/

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Marvin49":2kad58ed said:
SeatownJay":2kad58ed said:
rigelian":2kad58ed said:

The jr. high coach down the street from me would be a step up from what you had last year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
How sad is that for the 9ers that somebody would take the Browns job over theirs? The Browns?

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think they might be forced to wait for Bevell. Will anyone else want to work with Baalke and his ego? Baalke is in charge of hiring the next coach and is in charge of the draft so there is really no reason for a quick hire. They can't say that they got the guy they wanted all along if they hire one of these retread coaches that has been available for several seasons. The only way for Baalke to save face and his ego is to go after a coach that is currently working in the playoffs, has a winning background, and hasn't learned from previous head coaching experience that he needs some say in the roster.

chris98251

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zo38gw5 said:
Shanny's a noted QB killer and has had public falling out with a number of his former pupils -- Plummer, McNabb, RGIII. His son is on a similar trajectory with Matt Ryan. Would be interesting to see how he handled Kap. Plummer once said Shanny was more concerned about putting up points than getting wins, which ultimately led to his downfall in Denver.

From Elway to RGIII he has got every QB killed, Reeves protected him early, once THE mouse showed up is when Elway got beat up.

chris98251

Reaction score
As far as the next coach, the 49ers think they are so cool that they feel just asking the Hottest Cheerleader to the Prom they will get a yes, they view themselves as a stud muffin. The Cheerleader views them as a abusive bastard that is jealous and controlling. So she go to the Prom with the Browns, they may not be a studley looking, but they treat her with respect. So the Browns get over Chicked and are happy, the 49ers are now hoping that the nice girl from the library will be available or the one that hangs out in the Girls room and smells like cigarette smoke may take them on for a one nighter.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SeatownJay":ngs8jl9y said:
rigelian":ngs8jl9y said:
Shanahan knows QBs. Remember Brian Griese? Shanahan got him to the Pro Bowl. This guy has averaged a top ten offense since AFTER Elway left. In fat his last two years in Washington had the 5th and 9th ranked offense respectfully.

As for RGIII, he wasn't "ruined." HE WAS JUST NEVER GOOD. Kirk Cousins, on the other hand, is obviously better, and was the guy Shanahan wanted all along. Dan Snyder thrust RGIII upon him, and even undermined him by forcing him to play RGIII when Shanahan wanted to start Cousins. We can all CLEARLY see who was right about that.

Now, when the owner is overriding the coach on football decisions like that, it's going to kill morale for that coach. Shanahan checked out early. But why wouldn't he? The quarterback he wanted all along, who was clearly better, was forced to the bench by the owner. (By the way, Shanahan wasn't the only one whose feathers were Ruffles over Snyder's special treatment of RGIII. Several players were angered by it too, which is why RGIII was so alienated there).

People who blame Shanahan for the RGIII fiasco are simply ignorant. That situation falls 100% at the feet of Dan Snyder.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkGA":1xcmrbwn said:
How sad is that for the 9ers that somebody would take the Browns job over theirs? The Browns?

If this post was about more than concern trolling 9ers fans wouldn't it logically be much sadder for the Giants than the 9ers?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":bsf9t6em said:
HawkGA":bsf9t6em said:

If this post was about more than concern trolling 9ers fans wouldn't it logically be much sadder for the Giants than the 9ers?

Not really. Giants seem pretty set on having Ben McAdoo replace Tom Coughlin.

That leaves what exactly for the 9ers . . . Chip Kelly?