Chase Young to the 49ers

Marvin49

Reaction score
It’s a wasted rental for one year if no Lombardi comes of it. And your D line wasn’t the issue the issue is in your secondary bud. Knee jerk trade and Reminds me of the Sheldon Richardson move we made a few years back

LOL. M'Kay.

DE opposite Bosa has been an issue since Dee Ford flamed out. They traded for Gregory and now Young to assist on the D-Line. DE on the other side isn't doing anything to make teams pay for Bosa double teams AND they aren't setting the edge well in run game.

49ers have made trade deadline moves almost every single year (CMC, Charles Omenihu, Emmanuel Sanders, etc).

They gave up a comp 3 and if he leaves they get a...comp 3.

So like...why not? They didn't even give up their own 3 AND they still have ANOTHER comp 3.

Trying hard to find the downside here and I'm not seeing it.

toffee

Reaction score
9ers' front seven was pretty stacked, now even more so after the addition of Chase Young and Randy Gregory, it goes 6 deep. May be Young can reduce Bosa's snaps a bit? Would our OL be ready for these boys? But according to the subjective opinions of pff, other than Bosa, none of 9ers' ED or DI were excel in run defense, a few down right sucked, may be K9 and Chardonette time?

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
LOL. M'Kay.

DE opposite Bosa has been an issue since Dee Ford flamed out. They traded for Gregory and now Young to assist on the D-Line. DE on the other side isn't doing anything to make teams pay for Bosa double teams AND they aren't setting the edge well in run game.

49ers have made trade deadline moves almost every single year (CMC, Charles Omenihu, Emmanuel Sanders, etc).

So like...why not? They didn't even give up their own 3 AND they still have ANOTHER comp 3.

Not at all, I am hoping that Schneider pulled off this deal :)

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
LOL. M'Kay.

It was a great addition if all goes well. Your secondary gets torched for 3 straight weeks and I was surprised they didn’t make a move for Surtain. Glad you didn’t. Now we can watch and see how your secondary holds up. So far only second place homie

rcaido

Reaction score
It was a great addition if all goes well. Your secondary gets torched for 3 straight weeks and I was surprised they didn’t make a move for Surtain. Glad you didn’t. Now we can watch and see how your secondary holds up. So far only second place homie
Its a great addition no matter what. 49ers didn't lose anything for this trade. This trade makes me sick to my stomach. I still call foul on this trade. Chase had no leverage, he could have been traded to any low tier team for better draft position. Instead he goes to one of the favs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
9ers' front seven was pretty stacked, now even more so after the addition of Chase Young and Randy Gregory, it goes 6 deep. May be Young can reduce Bosa's snaps a bit? Would our OL be ready for these boys? But according to the subjective opinions of pff, other than Bosa, none of 9ers' ED or DI were excel in run defense, a few down right sucked, may be K9 and Chardonette time?

View attachment 61546

So...early in the season the 49ers would swap out their entire D-Line every 3 or 4 series and when that happened they suddenly started giving up yards in chunks.

That was what I thought the Gregory trade was about. Depth more than anything else.

Well now they are giving up yards in chunks on ALL down and at ALL times.

I think the Young trade is mostly about someone playing opposite Bosa who can be a threat and about run support.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score

I'm sure they called on Surtain. I don't think Denver was willing to trade him...and I wouldn't either.

Rumor is that they were on the phones trying to get "someone" up till deadline but it didn't happen. Briefly reported it was Adoree Jackson but its been reported and Lynch confirmed that was false this morning.

toffee

Reaction score
So...early in the season the 49ers would swap out their entire D-Line every 3 or 4 series and when that happened they suddenly started giving up yards in chunks.

That was what I thought the Gregory trade was about. Depth more than anything else.

Well now they are giving up yards in chinks on ALL down and at ALL times.

I think the Young trade is mostly about someone playing opposite Bosa who can be a threat and about run support.
I think you and I are same page.

Hawknight

Reaction score
A third for Young is shocking to me. How did we end up paying a second and fifth for Williams? I know williams is more of a run stopper but usually that type costs less not more.
I believe the cost of a 2nd was so that the Giants would eat most of the salary for the year. A gamble for sure for Seattle, but I'm thinking they have long term plans in store. I'm fairy certain we'll see more of Williams if he lives up to the hype. Every player reacts differently coming onto a new team. Let's hope only the best for Williams the rest of the season.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Its huge value because its for about 500k and they can recoup the 3rd rounder the used as a comp next year if they don't sign him.
Just want to point out for a comp 3 he has to sign a monster deal. Like $25m+ kind of deal. Otherwise it's probably a 4/5 if he just does okay the rest of the season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Just want to point out for a comp 3 he has to sign a monster deal. Like $25m+ kind of deal. Otherwise it's probably a 4/5 if he just does okay the rest of the season.

I don't think its quite that much as they are getting a comp 3 for Mike McGlinchey, but even so if he gets double digit sacks (he's already got 5) SOMEONE will throw money for an edge rusher who will be only 24-25.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

Sources: Former No. 2 overall pick #Commanders DE Chase Young is being traded to the #49ers. Incredible. Likely a mid-round pick in 2024.After dealing Montez Sweat to the #Bears, Washington now trades Young to one of the NFL’s best.

Chase young to the 49ers. :sick:
For a 3rd rounder.
Let's see if it's true.
Looks like they're still trying to win the division.

It wasn't just a 3rd-round pick, but their 3rd-round compensatory pick, leaving them with 2 picks in that round. According to the article I read, Lynch and Martin Mayhem (Commanders GM) -- who was in the 49ers FO a few years ago -- had been talking for 2 weeks prior. SF will only need to pay him 600K for the remainder of this season.

If Chase balls out but decides to walk because he can't strike an extension deal that works best for him and SF, the Niners will recoup their 3rd round pick. Also, read that Mayhew even offered him Montez Sweat -- for the right price -- before they traded him to 'da Bears, but Lynch declined.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
I wonder why the 49ers didn't trade their 2nd pick for Montez Sweat, who is clearly a better player than Chase Young? I'm sure this must be a topic for discussion at 49erwebzone. Care to shed any light on this, 49er fans? @49fansinceBrodie, @Weadoption?

I mean, in either case, it's a rental. The price is higher for Sweat, but not by that much.
John Lynch - "Early on in the game, it's not in the game, in mine and Martin's conversations, it was just Chase. At some point, Martin said, 'Hey, listen for the right price, Sweat could likely be had as well.' And so, that's kind of where it was."

Jac

Reaction score
Its a great addition no matter what. 49ers didn't lose anything for this trade. This trade makes me sick to my stomach. I still call foul on this trade. Chase had no leverage, he could have been traded to any low tier team for better draft position. Instead he goes to one of the favs.
Why do you think there was a market for Young? The Commanders would have taken a higher pick if offered. I'm in DC so listen to local sports radio all the time. Young wasn't being talked about (including trade buzz) the same way Sweat was being talked about, and that's reflected in the trade compensation (#35 vs. about #95).

Weadoption

Reaction score
this trade is free beer.
will it be Guinness or Lucky Logger is what remains.