Chase Young to the 49ers

bileever

Reaction score
This was a good trade for the 49ers. It makes their defensive line deeper. You can never have too many edge rushers. I just hope he doesn't have too much of a positive impact.

The only question is how he affects the locker room chemistry, but there's nothing that suggests that Chase Young is a bad dude.

94Smith

Reaction score
The only question is how he affects the locker room chemistry, but there's nothing that suggests that Chase Young is a bad dude.
Not too much worry about this as Bosa and Young were teammates at OSU

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Not too much worry about this as Bosa and Young were teammates at OSU
Nobody is worried about the 3 loss 49ers. You keep adding pieces that fail to yield fruit. Young is, I’m afraid a poor addition and knee jerk trade by Lynch to counter our acquisition of Leonard Williams. Meanwhile Chartaveious Ward is burnt toast and your safeties are slower than molasses. Thank you kindly for not addressing team need but click bait

94Smith

Reaction score
Nobody is worried about the 3 loss 49ers. You keep adding pieces that fail to yield fruit. Young is, I’m afraid a poor addition and knee jerk trade by Lynch to counter our acquisition of Leonard Williams. Meanwhile Chartaveious Ward is burnt toast and your safeties are slower than molasses. Thank you kindly for not addressing team need but click bait
Back to front building vs front to back. Different philosophy that has worked for 4 years.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
maybe you're a little worried now.

Jac

Reaction score
maybe you're a little worried now.
So now the front-running fanbase finally makes an appearance again. Nothing to be worried about, really. We’re not the team that has to win it all this year before starting to age out/dismantle.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
So now the front-running fanbase finally makes an appearance again. Nothing to be worried about, really. We’re not the team that has to win it all this year before starting to age out/dismantle.
FYI, as it turns out I'm not the entire fanbase. I've been posting regulary, and not all of it complementary to the 49ers. I do enjoy trading jabs with Frodo though. The whole aging out thing has been stated here repeatedly, you may consider coming up with something original.

Jac

Reaction score
FYI, as it turns out I'm not the entire fanbase. I've been posting regulary, and not all of it complementary to the 49ers. I do enjoy trading jabs with Frodo though. The whole aging out thing has been stated here repeatedly, you may consider coming up with something original.
I’ve only noticed 94 here this week, but I’ll take a look back. And observing the truth doesn’t require original. Williams won’t be back, and 31 is pretty old for Kittle the Brittle given his propensity for injury. And 28 years old isn’t exactly young for McCaffrey either.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I’ve only noticed 94 here this week, but I’ll take a look back. And observing the truth doesn’t require original. Williams won’t be back, and 31 is pretty old for Kittle the Brittle given his propensity for injury. And 28 years old isn’t exactly young for McCaffrey either.
Yawn

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
3 loss streak makes a team desperate.
Desperate?
Desperate would be if the 49ers traded away the house for Chase.

The 49ers got him for practically nothing when you consider his age and talent.

This was a great move by Lynch who apparently has been in touch with Washington for over a month and before the 49ers first loss against Cleveland.

JOHN LYNCH FOR PRESIDENT!

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
You sound desperate to believe this. 😆

Well atleast John Lynch is still young and will be around for awhile. 😎

49ers back in first place .😎

94Smith

Reaction score
Williams likely to retire yes. 49ers likely to draft a LT in the first round . Probably not Williams level though

Regarding Kittle, he’s still relatively young. Kelce is 33, Gonzalez played till he was 37, Shannon sharpe until he was 35.

Mccaffery likely has 2-3 more years.

If the 49ers can replace Williams, they will have a 2-3 year window.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Williams likely to retire yes. 49ers likely to draft a LT in the first round . Probably not Williams level though

Regarding Kittle, he’s still relatively young. Kelce is 33, Gonzalez played till he was 37, Shannon sharpe until he was 35.

Mccaffery likely has 2-3 more years.

If the 49ers can replace Williams, they will have a 2-3 year window.

I don't think Williams will retire this year. Its possible certainly but kinda doubt it.

Kittle isn't going anywhere and they converted his salary to bonus this year so they'll likely keep him if only for cap reasons a bit longer.

Who knows on McCaffrey. Frank Gore played on forever. You never know when a RB is going to hit the wall. RBs back in the day played much longer than they do now. What gets alot of these guys is teams don't want to pay those contracts.

No idea how or if they replace guys in coming years and to be real, I don't care right now. Future will come whether I fear it or not so might as well enjoy the present.

Jac

Reaction score
I don't think Williams will retire this year. Its possible certainly but kinda doubt it.

Kittle isn't going anywhere and they converted his salary to bonus this year so they'll likely keep him if only for cap reasons a bit longer.

Who knows on McCaffrey. Frank Gore played on forever. You never know when a RB is going to hit the wall. RBs back in the day played much longer than they do now. What gets alot of these guys is teams don't want to pay those contracts.

No idea how or if they replace guys in coming years and to be real, I don't care right now. Future will come whether I fear it or not so might as well enjoy the present.
Statistically, he'll be on borrowed time as an elite contributor next year. Every statistic has its own outlier or two (e.g., Gore as you've described)...but that's still the outlier. If the 49ers are going to win the SB, I think this year has got to be the year. I don't think they'll be a better team next year, and others are always pushing from below. Maybe next year as well, but that elite group that they rely on at the top will be getting older. A roster goes from up-and-coming, to being in the window, to decrepit so quick.

"For RB1 (top-12) production, a shockingly high 85% of peak seasons are from players between the ages of 22-28.
For truly elite (250+ PPR points) production, 67.8% of elite seasons are from players between the ages of 23-26, and 96.6% take place prior to a player turning 29."

Marvin49

Reaction score
Statistically, he'll be on borrowed time as an elite contributor next year. Every statistic has its own outlier or two (e.g., Gore as you've described)...but that's still the outlier. If the 49ers are going to win the SB, I think this year has got to be the year. I don't think they'll be a better team next year, and others are always pushing from below. Maybe next year as well, but that elite group that they rely on at the top will be getting older. A roster goes from up-and-coming, to being in the window, to decrepit so quick.

"For RB1 (top-12) production, a shockingly high 85% of peak seasons are from players between the ages of 22-28.
For truly elite (250+ PPR points) production, 67.8% of elite seasons are from players between the ages of 23-26, and 96.6% take place prior to a player turning 29."

Could be true entirely. Ya never know tho.

Additionally...the 49ers are done paying for Trey Lance this year. One good draft...and we'll see.

The players you have mentioned are the LT, the TE, and the RB. 2 of those positions aren't super hard to find in the draft even if they guys they are replacing are historically good at the position.

This is what makes it fun.

I'm enjoying the now and we'll see what the future brings.

Marvin49

Reaction score

LOL...

...I always find this funny.

"X trade was clearly a knee jerk reaction to trade my team made that was clearly better".

Should I just say that the Leonard Williams trade was a knee jerk reaction to the Randy Gregory trade?

Obviously not.

Niners need a bookend DE. They had option to get one cheap. They got him.

Niners do this every year. Emmanuel Sanders, Christian McCaffrey, Charles Omenihu...are those ALL just reactions to the Seahawks too?

Please.

NINEster

Reaction score
In some ways, I think that Lynch has gone against that old proverb, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

He took last year's number one defense in the NFL, and completely overhauled the D-line, which was one of its strengths, and signed Javon Hargrave and Clelin Ferrell in free agency, let Charles Omenihu and Samson Ebukam walk, traded for Randy Gregory and now Chase Young. And the defense isn't better, it's worse.

It's scheme.

If it gets fixed, this defense could likely have enough force to win the Super Bowl on its own. Hargrave > Buckner as interior pass rusher, and Young while not quite as effective as Dee Ford, likely is 80% as good and 800% more available. Randy Gregory and Drake Jackson as rotational pass rushers along with Ferrell is better than prior teams I would say.

Nothing the Niners could do wrong here. All the Niner DCs get hired out, and it appears Kyle didn't figure to hire within (maybe nobody was ready?), and thought an outside hire would work.

Perhaps it can work out well, but at the moment it's not.

For a position like DL, versus say LB or DB, kinda hard to argue against stocking up on talent.

NINEster

Reaction score
no clue, to be honest I didn’t even know who Montez Sweat was until today.
Chase may help some, hopium!!
We used to have a guy named Nick Bosa but i think he retired.

Montez is a very good player but I can see the higher draft compensation along with the more likely higher extension cost being the reason why.

Supposedly Montez was available to the Niners as well, offered up prior to Young. Martin Mayhew's relationship with Lynch was pivotal in this.

It could also be a scheme fit, and potentially maybe reuniting the OSU brothers together.

And on some level it's possible that Young still has higher ceiling than Sweat. Sweat's biggest strength is a wicked fast 40, but Young went #2 overall and Sweat went 26th, and usually these selections are for a good reason.

With Krocurek DL coaching, the thought is they should be able to extract more from Young than his DC career.

We shall see. First gotta get the rest of that DL looking like they used to look.