Dear Russ HATERS

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3704iouk said:
A lot of Russ's struggles relate to the scheme change imo. We're running long developing plays against teams playing a blitz heavy game, with minimal checkdown routes. It's foolishness, we went away from what works and went back to the same, old, tired scheme.

BINGO!!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":35lpmfag said:
A lot of Russ's struggles relate to the scheme change imo. We're running long developing plays against teams playing a blitz heavy game, with minimal checkdown routes. It's foolishness, we went away from what works and went back to the same, old, tired scheme.

I think that'd account for a little bit of coming back down to Earth, but don't think it'd really translate into struggling this heavily.

He's making ill-advised throws. He's in a slump. He's operated decently within the same intermediate-and-beyond passing offense for years, but these struggles are abnormal, even for when Schotty isn't drawing up his best stuff.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Spin Doctor":uiad0hou said:
I seem to have noticed a scheme change as well. It's strange when us fans recognize something but pro coaches don't seem to. Or maybe they recognize it but are set on not going back to the scheme we used at the beginning of the year. I wonder their reasoning.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Welshers":1mjo795m said:
I seem to have noticed a scheme change as well. It's strange when us fans recognize something but pro coaches don't seem to.
In this case the fans are making something up that isn't there. If you go back and watch Sunday's game and look for them, you will see a lot of hot reads and intermediate routes.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Besides 49er fans, is there such a thing as a Russ hater?

themunn

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2z8g1sym said:
Spin Doctor":2z8g1sym said:

I think that'd account for a little bit of coming back down to Earth, but don't think it'd really translate into struggling this heavily.

He's making ill-advised throws. He's in a slump. He's operated decently within the same intermediate-and-beyond passing offense for years, but these struggles are abnormal, even for when Schotty isn't drawing up his best stuff.

Agreed - It's nothing to do with scheme - long developing plays have been part of the playbook all year, unless people have forgotten all about the deep TD passes to Metcalf, Lockett and Moore, the "moon balls", "rainbow balls" "Skyscraper passes" that we're hearing about all season.

All 3 of Wilson's interceptions against the Cardinals were terrible throws - the floated pass that Baker picked off in the end zone (no pressure), the deep ball to Metcalf that went WAY too deep, the quick drop and pass that just wasn't high enough for the 3rd in overtime - in fact this play is exactly the kind of play design that everybody keeps asking for and it went badly. These were all uncharacteristically off target and poor throws on well designed plays that Wilson in weeks 1-6 would have put on the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62GsevPwiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmo_HAdqVws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFAf0bl034 - the type of play everybody wants and it loses the game for us

Same story against the Bills -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW96gN3Qb7s - this one is less his fault - 4th and 1 with nowhere to go he just throws it up. Homer should probably pick up the rusher here which would have given enough time for Wilson to pick out Metcalf (although he could have still pitched the ball to Homer for a 1st down also so he can take some blame also, but the pressure would have affected that decision making for sure)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhiC6JyUvto - plenty of time in the pocket and no pressure here

And finally the Rams - not to bring it up again but we all know that first interception was all on Russ. The 2nd one after taking a delay of game penalty to push us into 3rd and 9, he just makes a poor decision and the CB makes a good play on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFPZKLkK2s

I don't see any of these interceptions as being down to Scheme. Wilson has been uncharacteristic these last few weeks. The best we can hope for is mistake free football on Thursday and then he uses the mini-bye to reflect on what's been going wrong in late October/November and bring in the final stretch of the season the same way he started it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
To add onto the discussion, here are my notes on the 26 plays I had marked down as pass attempts in the first half vs. the Rams. Every single one had a short option available with the exception of two shots into the end zone which are the same designed plays we've been running all year. It simply isn't the case that we were doing a bunch of long developing routes against the Rams with nowhere else for Russ to go.

1- Flat complete to David Moore
2- Flat available to Collins, intermediate complete to Olsen (overthrown)
3- Flat complete to Swain (25 YAC)
4- Flat available to Lockett, intermediate complete to Swain
5- Pick six on intermediate incomplete to Moore (protection breakdown)
6- Flat available to Collins, Deep shot incomplete to Lockett (overthrown)
7- Short complete to Hollister
8- Short complete to Lockett
9- Flat available to Homer, Short complete to Lockett
10- Incomplete endzone shot to Lockett, no short options
11- Flat available to Swain, thrown out of bounds incurring penalty (protection breakdown)
12- (3rd and forever) Slant available to Homer, QB scramble
13- Short complete to Lockett (awesome throw)
14- Flea Flicker Short complete to Lockett
15- Incomplete endzone shot to Swain, no short options
16- Short complete to Homer
17- Flat available to Collins, Interception on deep shot for Dissly (acres of room for Russ to run)
18- Short complete to Homer
19- Short complete to Homer
20- Flat available to Dallas, QB Scramble
21- Short complete to Dallas
22- Lockett available short, QB Sack (short pass not advisable due to situation)
23- Short pass/pitch complete to Dallas
24- Short incomplete to Olsen (overthrown and late)
25- Short incomplete to Lockett (thrown behind)
26- Short incomplete to Moore (drop)

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":pcewbs0o said:
To add onto the discussion, here are my notes on the 26 plays I had marked down as pass attempts in the first half vs. the Rams. Every single one had a short option available with the exception of two shots into the end zone which are the same designed plays we've been running all year. It simply isn't the case that we were doing a bunch of long developing routes against the Rams with nowhere else for Russ to go.

1- Flat complete to David Moore
2- Flat available to Collins, intermediate complete to Olsen (overthrown)
3- Flat complete to Swain (25 YAC)
4- Flat available to Lockett, intermediate complete to Swain
5- Pick six on intermediate incomplete to Moore (protection breakdown)
6- Flat available to Collins, Deep shot incomplete to Lockett (overthrown)
7- Short complete to Hollister
8- Short complete to Lockett
9- Flat available to Homer, Short complete to Lockett
10- Incomplete endzone shot to Lockett, no short options
11- Flat available to Swain, thrown out of bounds incurring penalty (protection breakdown)
12- (3rd and forever) Slant available to Homer, QB scramble
13- Short complete to Lockett (awesome throw)
14- Flea Flicker Short complete to Lockett
15- Incomplete endzone shot to Swain, no short options
16- Short complete to Homer
17- Flat available to Collins, Interception on deep shot for Dissly (acres of room for Russ to run)
18- Short complete to Homer
19- Short complete to Homer
20- Flat available to Dallas, QB Scramble
21- Short complete to Dallas
22- Lockett available short, QB Sack (short pass not advisable due to situation)
23- Short pass/pitch complete to Dallas
24- Short incomplete to Olsen (overthrown and late)
25- Short incomplete to Lockett (thrown behind)
26- Short incomplete to Moore (drop)

Would have to watch all the film, but having a late check down option is not the same as designed short options. How often does that check down flat have a blocker anywhere near them?

One could argue a flat / dump to dallas, and especially homer, is admitting the play is probably dead, but we'd rather Homer take the hit than Wilson. And checkdown / flat dumps are almost indicative of long developing routes, are they not ? Although Homer did have some decent runs this last game, I will be the first to have to admit.

I also think there is debate if it is the scheme, or if it's just the choices, or if it's just props to the (obviously opposing) defense. Or some mix.

It seems to me that more than 5/25 pass attempts would go for short / intermediate attempts to our two star receivers, or more than 11/25 pass attempts to our receiver corps at all, instead of the same amount to our feature back Homer / RB team. But I asked this question in my OP - is that ratio concerning or not? Maybe it just feels like it is, but it isn't.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The all-22 has been up for a day now. Almost all of those completions were designed short options, and I'm not sure why you'd discount the RBs on short passes where you're hoping for YAC.

The main difference in the first half from earlier in this season was that they didn't connect on any of the three longer shots they took, and then Russ had a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes. Our five drives were TD-Pick 6-Punt-Interception-FG and the punt was caused by the intentional grounding penalty leading to 3rd and very long.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":rcetmflo said:
The all-22 has been up for a day now. Almost all of those completions were designed short options, and I'm not sure why you'd discount the RBs on short passes where you're hoping for YAC.

The main difference in the first half from earlier in this season was that they didn't connect on any of the three longer shots they took, and then Russ had a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes. Our five drives were TD-Pick 6-Punt-Interception-FG and the punt was caused by the intentional grounding penalty leading to 3rd and very long.

Designed options and a designed quick slant to, say, Metcalf are very different.

Especially when your designed option is to our 3rd - 5th string RB, who, by the way, I think are generally doing great. But they are still who they are.

You seem intent to keep lumping them into the same category, so I'm going to stop talking to you.

Is all22 open to everyone for free?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
themunn":1u77tov7 said:
Maelstrom787":1u77tov7 said:
Spin Doctor":1u77tov7 said:

Agreed - It's nothing to do with scheme - long developing plays have been part of the playbook all year, unless people have forgotten all about the deep TD passes to Metcalf, Lockett and Moore, the "moon balls", "rainbow balls" "Skyscraper passes" that we're hearing about all season.

All 3 of Wilson's interceptions against the Cardinals were terrible throws - the floated pass that Baker picked off in the end zone (no pressure), the deep ball to Metcalf that went WAY too deep, the quick drop and pass that just wasn't high enough for the 3rd in overtime - in fact this play is exactly the kind of play design that everybody keeps asking for and it went badly. These were all uncharacteristically off target and poor throws on well designed plays that Wilson in weeks 1-6 would have put on the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62GsevPwiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmo_HAdqVws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFAf0bl034 - the type of play everybody wants and it loses the game for us

Same story against the Bills -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW96gN3Qb7s - this one is less his fault - 4th and 1 with nowhere to go he just throws it up. Homer should probably pick up the rusher here which would have given enough time for Wilson to pick out Metcalf (although he could have still pitched the ball to Homer for a 1st down also so he can take some blame also, but the pressure would have affected that decision making for sure)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhiC6JyUvto - plenty of time in the pocket and no pressure here

And finally the Rams - not to bring it up again but we all know that first interception was all on Russ. The 2nd one after taking a delay of game penalty to push us into 3rd and 9, he just makes a poor decision and the CB makes a good play on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFPZKLkK2s

I don't see any of these interceptions as being down to Scheme. Wilson has been uncharacteristic these last few weeks. The best we can hope for is mistake free football on Thursday and then he uses the mini-bye to reflect on what's been going wrong in late October/November and bring in the final stretch of the season the same way he started it.

The bills 4th down was 4th and goal. Their was no 1st down.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
You tell us about his work habits do you actually see this or do you just read this? one thing you have to always remember there is someone always going to out work you as far as game study on the practice field and they're the ones that probably shine. "Practice doesn't make perfect Only Perfect practice makes Perfect".

Oh and by the way I love Russ.

themunn

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":357iuh23 said:
The bills 4th down was 4th and goal. Their was no 1st down.

If you watch the video which I conveniently linked you can clearly see the 1st down marker, the red line on the screen and the ticker say "4th and 1"

El Caliente

Reaction score
Dear Russ haters, please keep hating him. As a Saints fan I would love to have Wilson here in New Orleans once Brees’ hangs them up.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
El Caliente":1o3rdq41 said:
Dear Russ haters, please keep hating him. As a Saints fan I would love to have Wilson here in New Orleans once Brees’ hangs them up.

I bet you would, jerk!

Haha, just kidding. Sorry to hear about Brees. Hopefully Jameis fills in well for him. Wouldn't wish 5 broken ribs and a collapsed lung on anyone, Brees must be in a world of hurt.

Rat

Reaction score
El Caliente":3ss9scxw said:
Isn’t that what you’re paying Taysom Hill for?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Brees has been my favorite QB other than Russ for years. Class guy and an all-time great. Some really unfortunate playoff endings to say the least. Fluke ending to the Vikes. Literally seeing the Refs hand the Rams a Super Bowl on the worst non-call in history etc.

Latest posts