DeeJay Dallas

TraderGary

Reaction score
TypeSly":2dhe38ua said:
jamescasey1124":2dhe38ua said:
Omg. All these not good in between the tackles responses. You guys are horrible. Dont reply if you didn't watch every single play he had. Even mark schlereth said it....said dallas keeps turning his legs and doesnt go down easy. What the hell are you guys watching?

On that one play where he carried a few defenders, yes. He came through at important times in the game, which is why the numbers don't tell the whole story in his first start.

Having said that, I'd have to agree that he does go down a little too easy. He generally doesn't shake off first contact on his runs.
Agree with this assessment. No YAC, missed blocking assignments, and slow to the hole. Though in fairness, I didn't see too many holes to run through today. Definitely needs to hit the weight room in the offseason.

Yes he's a rookie making his first start, but we kept hearing how impressive he was in training camp, and I was expecting more than what I saw today. Was not impressed, but I'll reserve judgement till we see more of him.

mistaowen

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":3b86vx9q said:
bigskydoc":3b86vx9q said:
Do NFL defenses say, "hey, that's the late round rookie in the backfield. Let's dial it down a bit for him?" No? Then why take it easy rating him because of those reasons?

He was objectively awful. Timid. Went down easy. He was absolutely atrocious near the goal line including his worst read, of several bad reads, of the game, when he tried to bounce it outside, instead of trusting and following his blockers, and lost big yardage.

He missed the play call on multiple occasions, including 2 which resulted in big hits on Russ (one missed pass pro assignment, one at the goal line that forced Russ to try and run for it himself.

He had Christine Michael's head, without his speed, and, thankfully without his fumbling problem.

Is it possible that Pete's primary instruction to him was, "don't get hurt?" Possibly, and that would explain a lot. But that doesn't sound like Pete.

Negative. Timid? I'm tired of hearing this word. I highly doubt he is scared. You would be out there, but not him. He is fine. He missed exactly no blocks that got russ killed. Russ did that to himself twice today which is unusual. They play at the goal line where russ took off was because it was a missed call not missed pass pro. He was literally blocking his guy while russ was trying to hand him the ball. He doesnt hit the hole immediately, but he will. The rb coach needs to stress gap schemes on certain types of runs with him. So then he knows exactly where to go. Not bad for a reciever though.

Good stuff per usual.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The coaches did him no favors.

He is a rookie. Adjusting to NFL speed w no training camp.

Why give him 18 carries???

It wasn't needed. Short passes run the clock too.

But right now he isn't ready. For a pivotal 3rd and 1, I would literally give the ball to anyone but him.

He might be good w development. The promise is there. But my God this staff did him no favors.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2pw61zsr said:
jamescasey1124":2pw61zsr said:
Name me someone who does? Besides lynch, besides carson. I'll wait. No one in the league. Accept Kamara but he makes people miss more.

Your expectations are too high and you need to come back down to earth.

Derrick Henry
Raheem Mostert
Nick Chubb
Christian McCaffery
Leonard Fournier
Saquon Barkley
Dalvin Cook
Matt Breida

Henry I will give you. That's it. All those others guys dont drop tacklers. They are good at avoiding them.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1efvf9py said:
Negative. Timid? I'm tired of hearing this word. I highly doubt he is scared. You would be out there, but not him. He is fine. He missed exactly no blocks that got russ killed. Russ did that to himself twice today which is unusual. They play at the goal line where russ took off was because it was a missed call not missed pass pro. He was literally blocking his guy while russ was trying to hand him the ball. He doesnt hit the hole immediately, but he will. The rb coach needs to stress gap schemes on certain types of runs with him. So then he knows exactly where to go. Not bad for a reciever though.

Yes timid, hesitant to attack. Christine Michael had the same problem, and never really got over it. Instead of trusting the play call, he would try to read it and go his own way. Improv is not what you want out of your inexperienced running back.

What you or I would do out there is completely irrelevant

That is exactly what I said about the play at the goal line. He had the play call wrong, therefore Russ had to run it himself, and took a big hit because of it.

As you mentioned, he needs to understand gap schemes better, and go where the play is designed to go. That is NFL running 101, and even average NFL running backs follow the gap scheme reflexively.

He wasn't good, and he has a ton of work ahead of him to become an average back.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
mistaowen":2jsahm12 said:
jamescasey1124":2jsahm12 said:
bigskydoc":2jsahm12 said:
Do NFL defenses say, "hey, that's the late round rookie in the backfield. Let's dial it down a bit for him?" No? Then why take it easy rating him because of those reasons?

He was objectively awful. Timid. Went down easy. He was absolutely atrocious near the goal line including his worst read, of several bad reads, of the game, when he tried to bounce it outside, instead of trusting and following his blockers, and lost big yardage.

He missed the play call on multiple occasions, including 2 which resulted in big hits on Russ (one missed pass pro assignment, one at the goal line that forced Russ to try and run for it himself.

He had Christine Michael's head, without his speed, and, thankfully without his fumbling problem.

Is it possible that Pete's primary instruction to him was, "don't get hurt?" Possibly, and that would explain a lot. But that doesn't sound like Pete.

Good stuff per usual.

Thanks man. You know...running around and bashing on the "we have to find someone to hate this week", fans in this fanbase. Typical day around here.

olyfan63

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":oks0vtr0 said:
bigskydoc":oks0vtr0 said:

Cyrus12":oks0vtr0 said:
doesn't look like a guy that can run between the tackles but has the ability to be that 3rd down and long back. Played better in the 2nd half for sure
BigSkyDoc is being a little harsh on Dallas, given the circumstances, but in absolute terms, it's certainly a fair critique.

Right now, he is struggling to catch up to the pro game, in terms of the offense, the adjustments, the speed of the game, the reads, the chemistry with Russell. Dallas is a *developmental* prospect who has been forced into a starting role earlier than Pete or anyone, really, intended. Compound that with the limited training camp, no preseason games, and overall Covid impact on a raw rookie's development, and it's not a huge surprise he'd have struggles.

DeeJay Dallas is my adopt-a-rookie. He did about like I expected. Honestly, I was hoping he would pick up the mental part of the game faster, but it just shows how impressive Travis Homer was to come in as a rookie 6th rounder, albeit late in the season, and play like a veteran.

First off, Dallas actually IS good at running between the tackles, if you watch his college film. He flashed promises of that on a couple plays, but you had to be looking for it.

Dallas cost us the Arizona game last week by missing blitz pickup blocks. So there's that. That was his 1st preseason game, but just a brief cameo, really. Today was the remainder of his first preseason game plus his full 2nd preseason game. He made more rookie mistakes today, but that's an unfortunate reality for an NFL player thrown into this situation, that they need to play and make mistakes and learn.

Now that Dallas has had some NFL-speed reps, he'll understand the film sessions and reads better and make rapid mental progress. This dude is a converted QB and a smart guy; thankfully, he's no Christine Michael. He's a better inside runner than Travis Homer. He will develop a feel for where the holes are and how to run, and we'll see a night-and-day different, improved back in a few games, especially if he keeps getting reps. Right now, he's just trying to not screw up. With more reps, and as the game slows down, he won't have to think so much about basic stuff, and can just play.

Today, DeeJay Dallas got the job done. Not brilliant, but good enough, and with lots of upside still to be realized. He's already showing he's a good receiver, he will catch on and be a good blocker soon, and he is a good runner inside the tackles as well. He's not Chris Carson in the running game, but then, who else is?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":179v2w7s said:
Henry I will give you. That's it. All those others guys dont drop tacklers. They are good at avoiding them.

YAC/ attempt
Derrick Henry. 2.8
Raheem Mostert 2.2 (2019)
Nick Chubb 3.6
Christian McCaffery 2.2
Leonard Fournette 2.7
Saquon Barkley 2.8 (2019)
Dalvin Cook 2.8
Matt Breida 1.9
Chris Carson 2.4

Granted I overestimated Breida's YAC in this list that I made off the top of my head.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
olyfan63":cw85g5ay said:
jamescasey1124":cw85g5ay said:
bigskydoc":cw85g5ay said:

Cyrus12":cw85g5ay said:
doesn't look like a guy that can run between the tackles but has the ability to be that 3rd down and long back. Played better in the 2nd half for sure
BigSkyDoc is being a little harsh on Dallas, given the circumstances, but in absolute terms, it's certainly a fair critique.

Right now, he is struggling to catch up to the pro game, in terms of the offense, the adjustments, the speed of the game, the reads, the chemistry with Russell. Dallas is a *developmental* prospect who has been forced into a starting role earlier than Pete or anyone, really, intended. Compound that with the limited training camp, no preseason games, and overall Covid impact on a raw rookie's development, and it's not a huge surprise he'd have struggles.

DeeJay Dallas is my adopt-a-rookie. He did about like I expected. Honestly, I was hoping he would pick up the mental part of the game faster, but it just shows how impressive Travis Homer was to come in as a rookie 6th rounder, albeit late in the season, and play like a veteran.

First off, Dallas actually IS good at running between the tackles, if you watch his college film. He flashed promises of that on a couple plays, but you had to be looking for it.

Dallas cost us the Arizona game last week by missing blitz pickup blocks. So there's that. That was his 1st preseason game, but just a brief cameo, really. Today was the remainder of his first preseason game plus his full 2nd preseason game. He made more rookie mistakes today, but that's an unfortunate reality for an NFL player thrown into this situation, that they need to play and make mistakes and learn.

Now that Dallas has had some NFL-speed reps, he'll understand the film sessions and reads better and make rapid mental progress. This dude is a converted QB and a smart guy; thankfully, he's no Christine Michael. He's a better inside runner than Travis Homer. He will develop a feel for where the holes are and how to run, and we'll see a night-and-day different, improved back in a few games, especially if he keeps getting reps. Right now, he's just trying to not screw up. With more reps, and as the game slows down, he won't have to think so much about basic stuff, and can just play.

Today, DeeJay Dallas got the job done. Not brilliant, but good enough, and with lots of upside still to be realized. He's already showing he's a good receiver, he will catch on and be a good blocker soon, and he is a good runner inside the tackles as well. He's not Chris Carson in the running game, but then, who else is?

Good shit!! I like this.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2thdsbkj said:
jamescasey1124":2thdsbkj said:

YAC/ attempt
Derrick Henry. 2.8
Raheem Mostert 2.2 (2019)
Nick Chubb 3.6
Christian McCaffery 2.2
Leonard Fournette 2.7
Saquon Barkley 2.8 (2019)
Dalvin Cook 2.8
Matt Breida 1.9
Chris Carson 2.4

Granted I overestimated Breida's YAC in this list that I made off the top of my head.

Nick chubb is a baller. So is Henry. None of these guys obliterate tacklers like Carson does.

I cant remember who they were playing but a either a db or lb from another team said he hates playing Carson because he doesnt want to tackle him. That's saying something.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
olyfan63":2acb2gcd said:

Understand, I'm critiquing him from the point of his actual performance compared to the average NFL back, without making allowances for his inexperience. It is clear why he hasn't seen any game time until he was our only option. I guess the point I'm making is that he should return to that developmental role as soon as we have another option.

The fact that he made Michael's style mental mistakes certainly doesn't mean he will continue to do so for four years like Christine did.

To keep the thread clean, I didn't quote the rest of your excellent, and spot on post. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Here's some DeeJay Dallas college tape from his time at Miami. Here's what I notice:
* He ran inside, between the tackles, a lot, and had some impressive runs.
* On some highlights, he looked like a poor man's Chris Carson, tough running, keeps driving.
* He uses his blockers well
* Very good on screen pass plays
* Miami used him as the QB in the Wildcat, on occasion.

I think he'll be a great addition to the team, just needs more development time, more reps. He's on his way.
Lack of real training camp and no preseason really hurt his development.

[youtube]gnw07J_NYo8[/youtube]

sc85sis

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3grc0yph said:
He had two TD's but that doesn't blind me to the
fact he isn't that good,I don't want to ever see him
starting and don't care if he never gets another carry.
He has a long way to go to be good.I know it's cold
and it's not his fault he had to start.I will say that I'm
happy he didn't turn the rock over.
Walter Payton had zero net rushing yards on eight carries in his first career game, and he was the fourth overall pick in his draft class.

No, I’m not saying DJ is the next Walter Payton. I’m saying that a 2.3 yard average for the first game of a fourth round draft pick isn’t all that bad. And it’s just one game. There’s plenty of time to learn whether he’s going to be boom, bust, or JAG.

Basis4day

Reaction score
This entire thread hurts my head.

Dallas has had approx 20 rushing attempts as a pro. That sample size can’t support either of the sides of the argument on display here.

Dallas has 2 carries against the dolphins for 8 yards. That’s a 4 yard average. Again, it’s too small a sample size to really
Learn anything.

Today he had 18 carries for 41 yards and a td. He also had 5 catches for 17 yards and a td. For most intents this was his first real game, and again, as a rookie. I think he showed promise as well as mistakes.

There is another RB in the PC era who had similar stats his first game as a Seahawk. 17 carries for 44 yards and a TD. Also had 3 catches for 9 yards. That was Lynch. Go back and look at his stats from 2010. I think quite a few posters on this site would be shocked to learn for instance he only had 6 tds in the regular season.

And again, this is simply a reminder of why it’s ridiculous to try and project a player after one game.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Didn’t I see something about the 9ers having a top 5 run defense?

Overall I think he had a good game.
I loved seeing him semiotics there.

Given the circumstances, I won’t complain or knock him any.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Basis4day":1dfwpgra said:

Dallas has had approx 20 rushing attempts as a pro. That sample size can’t support either of the sides of the argument on display here.

Dallas has 2 carries against the dolphins for 8 yards. That’s a 4 yard average. Again, it’s too small a sample size to really
Learn anything.

Today he had 18 carries for 41 yards and a td. He also had 5 catches for 17 yards and a td. For most intents this was his first real game, and again, as a rookie. I think he showed promise as well as mistakes.

There is another RB in the PC era who had similar stats his first game as a Seahawk. 17 carries for 44 yards and a TD. Also had 3 catches for 9 yards. That was Lynch. Go back and look at his stats from 2010. I think quite a few posters on this site would be shocked to learn for instance he only had 6 tds in the regular season.

And again, this is simply a reminder of why it’s ridiculous to try and project a player after one game.

Good response. I tried that with all the haters on seahawks fanzone for facebook when they bitched about homer last year. It's like it just repeats.

toffee

Reaction score
Basis4day":1bvadr59 said:

Learn anything.

Penny's first 20 carries, was he any better?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The guy needs to add serious weight,train like crazy and learn a lot..
I'd have beast teach him that stiff arm.
He got his taste and first big time out of the way...It's up to him to do
things behind the screen if he wants to be the guy.

Latest posts