Did the OL Improve?

chris98251

Reaction score
They stumbled on a formula the last couple games in a nice mix for the O line, now if they don't decide to get cute and start flipping guys all over and let them play we may have something. Pocic is the right guy for Waldrons offense, he is mobile and smart.

What they really need is Russell to get the ball out on schedule and drill pass blocking like a Bull in a pasture of cows in heat.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Aros":1rkmlafx said:
If you go off of Penny's success alone these past 4 weeks it's hard to argue the premise that the OL has improved. But I am not an X's and O's guy. Can one of you with a higher football IQ than myself pontificate on the OL and if there was genuine improvement and how good (or not) you feel about this OL moving forward?

I won't say I have a higher football IQ than anyone on this forum unless they say something REALLY stupid...

But for me it was just the eyeball test. I don't have All-22 anymore but every time they showed the replays of the runs it looked like our Offensive Linemen were practically super heroes the past few weeks.

They are just laying guys out, suddenly they are getting way stronger and more dominant. It's like their opponents can't even get any push with our run blocking.

I can't even count the amount of times in just the normal NFL broadcast where our O-line looks like they are just lifting someone up or throwing them on the floor with HUGE gaps in the line.

You would think they would have to be on steroids or something to have this kind of consistent run blocking performance when all season long they couldn't DO ANYTHING...

But we do have some new blood in the O line like Curhan, and Haynes. I'm probably as confused as you are... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense how we were a soft pathetic O-line that couldn't make a dent all season then we put Curhan in there and Phil Haynes and they look like WORLD BEATERS!!!???

Conclusion:

It looks like 4 possibilities why our offensive line magically became amazing at the end of the season:

1) The team never gave effort until the end of the season. They did look slow and sloppy most the year, maybe still salty about Russell calling them out (specifically the Offensive Line).

2) They are just selfishly playing for contracts and the whole team gave up on the season but decided to play hard for their future contracts... (this would also explain why the Defensive Line came alive magically).

3) The coaching staff really messed up and they didn't start the right players. Maybe if they had started Curhan and Haynes we would be in the playoffs?

4) Somehow Pete, Wilson, and maybe even Adrian Peterson rallied the team to actually get their $*)% together and they became good when it was way too late.

I personally put WAYYYY more stock with the O-line becoming magically good than Rashad Penny hitting his stride. If we had a good O-line we might have been seeing this from Penny for years imo... WE NEVER HAD ANY SPACE FOR PENNY TO RUN...

chris98251

Reaction score
Tokadub":6j3nd984 said:
Aros":6j3nd984 said:
If you go off of Penny's success alone these past 4 weeks it's hard to argue the premise that the OL has improved. But I am not an X's and O's guy. Can one of you with a higher football IQ than myself pontificate on the OL and if there was genuine improvement and how good (or not) you feel about this OL moving forward?

I won't say I have a higher football IQ than anyone on this forum unless they say something REALLY stupid...

But for me it was just the eyeball test. I don't have All-22 anymore but every time they showed the replays of the runs it looked like our Offensive Linemen were practically super heroes the past few weeks.

They are just laying guys out, suddenly they are getting way stronger and more dominant. It's like their opponents can't even get any push with our run blocking.

I can't even count the amount of times in just the normal NFL broadcast where our O-line looks like they are just lifting someone up or throwing them on the floor with HUGE gaps in the line.

You would think they would have to be on steroids or something to have this kind of consistent run blocking performance when all season long they couldn't DO ANYTHING...

But we do have some new blood in the O line like Curhan, and Haynes. I'm probably as confused as you are... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense how we were a soft pathetic O-line that couldn't make a dent all season then we put Curhan in there and Phil Haynes and they look like WORLD BEATERS!!!???

Conclusion:

It looks like 4 possibilities why our offensive line magically became amazing at the end of the season:

1) The team never gave effort until the end of the season. They did look slow and sloppy most the year, maybe still salty about Russell calling them out (specifically the Offensive Line).

2) They are just selfishly playing for contracts and the whole team gave up on the season but decided to play hard for their future contracts... (this would also explain why the Defensive Line came alive magically).

3) The coaching staff really messed up and they didn't start the right players. Maybe if they had started Curhan and Haynes we would be in the playoffs?

4) Somehow Pete, Wilson, and maybe even Adrian Peterson rallied the team to actually get their $*)% together and they became good when it was way too late.

I personally put WAYYYY more stock with the O-line becoming magically good than Rashad Penny hitting his stride. If we had a good O-line we might have been seeing this from Penny for years imo... WE NEVER HAD ANY SPACE FOR PENNY TO RUN...

Brown has always had a little Nasty in him, Curhan I think is all Nasty on the field, someone mentioned the Mad Italian and his mentality, I think that is what Curhan has and it is infectious, attitude and take no prisoners attitude and confidence by Curhan has been a difference, even when beat he gets back up and is like is that all you got and proceeds to punch them harder.

Chris Gray was very underrated but you see in reflection the rest of that line said he was like the glue, not the most talented but smart, never die and was a force to handle because if he couldn't out muscle or out quick he outsmarted and found a weakness he exploited.

Jville

Reaction score
The relationship between a running back and lineman is symbiotic.

I like a running back that knows how to extract the most out of an opportunity to line up 8 or 9 yards deep. Such distance invites maneuver to influence defenders and aid blocking angles. It makes a telling difference. Such depth also makes it possible to hit a hole or crease with great energy and speed. Too much speed for defenders that are taking on blocks to react to. The kind of energy that can make backfield defenders hesitant.

To my eye, that was what made such a huge difference as the team closed out this season. It was the between the tackles football that made for a strong finish. A spectacle made possible by a back who knew how to operate when lining up 8 or 9 yards deep and bring everything else alive.

toffee

Reaction score
In the last four games, I noticed that Penny was seldom touched when he run pass the trenches where the OL battled the DL, lanes were there for him to zip though. Penny's speed and vision obviously were in play there, his timing with OL was perfect. Can't put finger on it, but something changed in the last 4 games, was it blocking scheme? or just our OL remember to eat their spinach?