Fools Gold

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why was I so convinced we would win 11 games this year? I feel like a chump. Talk about Paper Tigers. I mean, I’m not so distraught to not realize we are a young and talented team but man, I didn’t see us losing games like the ones we have.

Is it really as bad as some of us are pontificating? Did we suddenly forget how to win?

6-5 is so 1997.

I need to quantify this. Are the 2023 Seattle Seahawks really just not a good team?

No smart ass responses. Be real. Tell me your honest thoughts.

knownone

Reaction score
The 2023 Seahawks are a good up-and-coming team that's struggled to overcome a tougher schedule, critical injuries, and growing pains. Unfortunately, they lost several winnable games and are now entering the buzzsaw of their schedule. This is an excellent opportunity for them to battle out of this slump, steal a game or two, and give themselves a shot at the playoffs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I really, really hope people follow the last sentence of this thread. Let's get 2012 .NET in here.

Your guess of 11 wins wasn't especially misguided, it was merely a leaning-optimist take that was firmly in play given the limited scope of information we had on the team. That said, 11 wins would probably still have most here pessimistic overall, just as it did in 2019 and 2020 respectively.

It is not as bad as the fanbase at large is pontificating, no. We've known true hopelessness. This is not it. But we are in a suboptimal spot if we want to truly compete. The offense isn't slumping - it's broken on a systemic level. The red zone and third down calls are compromised by a lack of applicable concepts to beat man coverage. Our rushing attack isn't consistent enough to shoulder the offense, and even if it was, our playcaller does not seem especially interested in mandating it into the limelight. Geno has legitimately regressed to about average, and about average feels worse than average when the structure is crumbling around him. Thing is - he doesn't have much he could really do to create anything. The receivers are constantly blanketed, and interior pressure doesn't leave him with much of an opportunity to step up and wait out longer concepts.

We can probably assume safely that this isn't due to a lack of talent on the receiver front. Charbonnet looks good. IOL is an issue.

Defense is being put in such a terrible position by the offense that it's hard to evaluate them. They're always put back on the field faster than they should be.

A lot of the larger, fundamental issues with the team can PROBABLY be fixed with a new offensive staff, just like they were in 2018 - but the lack of postseason success has persisted for too long, and Pete Carroll will never be able to evade blame again as he is now the catchall scapegoat for any negative outcome as the head executive. And now, with Geno unable to operate successfully as the offense has crumbled around him and his cap hit going up to 30m next year, we'll have to settle the score on a new quarterback soon.

There are a lot of decisions coming up that need to be made the right way. But they're not about to be basement dwellers. There ARE paths to the light. This is the NFL. Things change, teams you don't expect to win are liable to start winning.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I thought 11 wins too. Really thought they had the horses on both sides of the ball to get there. However we got 2 high drafted rbs who don't get used properly..non existing game plan for short intermediate or passes up the middle and seemingly no desire to change the script. While I think there is some great talent on the team the philosophy feels like 2021 again. I really thought it would be the front 7 that was the concern not the offense but it seems irreparably broken.

m0ng0

Reaction score
It's just a F*CKING GAME...did you ever fail at anything in your life? Most of us have, I sure as hell have, what would happen if we all held ourselves to the expectations we hold our teams too? I decided I am going to work on myself and "my team" will do what it does and I am ok with it

LastRideOut

Reaction score
The wheels are starting to come off. There's I think, little doubt that is happening right now.

I think Seattle will end up around .500 when all is said and done. Whether we like it or not, Seattle appears to be approaching a fork in the road. What that will ultimately mean is anyone's guess right now.

I personally think Waldron is a big part of the problem right now. The argument against me is that how many OCs has Pete gone through? Why and how would a new OC improve the offense?

So, more questions than answers right now.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Why was I so convinced we would win 11 games this year? I feel like a chump. Talk about Paper Tigers. I mean, I’m not so distraught to not realize we are a young and talented team but man, I didn’t see us losing games like the ones we have.

Is it really as bad as some of us are pontificating? Did we suddenly forget how to win?

6-5 is so 1997.

I need to quantify this. Are the 2023 Seattle Seahawks really just not a good team?

The Seahawks were a -1 in Point Differential after beating Washington to go to 6-3.

That -1 told everyone exactly what the Seahawks were. An average team squeaking out wins against Creampuffs and losing badly to good teams.

The scary part? I think they might be worse next season.

cymatica

Reaction score

6-5 is so 1997.

I'm chumpin' right there with ya.

I think they can be great with better coaching and another off-season improving the trenches. I think with competent coaching, they still lose to SF and Baltimore, but it looks respectable

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think the team is talented, and hasn’t had this much talent in a while. I think they SHOULD be better than their record, however I feel the staff in charge of them, (not just PC, I’m talking EVERYONE) has hit their “coaching” ceiling and the game itself has moved past a lot of them especially with the rule changes, and instead of playing within the rules they go against or look for ways around instead. Until then… like you aros, if I don’t like it I won’t watch it. I have no problem now a days just changing the channel.

Xxx

Reaction score

6-5 is so 1997.

This is dual. They are good and bad. They really do stop themselves. They are 100% capable of executing winning football. They have to slow down and stay within themselves. Their play calling needs to focus in on the situation and their strengths (which are many). They can win by managing the game. On defense they need to realize that their zones are giving up to much acreage and they should be able to play man coverage with their corners and still let their safeties keep an eye on the backfield. There’s no excuse for what we’ve seen and I don’t believe it’s what this team is. My weak link is geno. I want that addressed. But i think he should be able to manage this offense into victories if the team was actually functioning to its capability

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

6-5 is so 1997.

They are only as good as their coaching staff and QB so there you go. On paper they should be good. Something is holding them back and it isn't hard to figure out what.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It's just a F*CKING GAME...did you ever fail at anything in your life? Most of us have, I sure as hell have, what would happen if we all held ourselves to the expectations we hold our teams too? I decided I am going to work on myself and "my team" will do what it does and I am ok with it

Sure i've failed at a lot of things, but not for 9 straight years.

Jac

Reaction score
They are only as good as their coaching staff and QB so there you go. On paper they should be good. Something is holding them back and it isn't hard to figure out what.
It's rarely easy to say "all you need to fix this team is XYZ", but in this case it is. It needs a new coaching staff and QB. The rest of the roster is loaded. It's a new coach's dream. This is just an example (i.e., not a controversial coach's name to pivot this thread)...but imagine what this team looks like with a refreshed Sean Payton and his QB of choice.

A better, more consistent QB elevates every part of this roster. I'm not sure ownership will ever move beyond Carroll, though...

Aircrew

Reaction score
The wheels are starting to come off. There's I think, little doubt that is happening right now.

I think Seattle will end up around .500 when all is said and done. Whether we like it or not, Seattle appears to be approaching a fork in the road. What that will ultimately mean is anyone's guess right now.

I personally think Waldron is a big part of the problem right now. The argument against me is that how many OCs has Pete gone through? Why and how would a new OC improve the offense?

So, more questions than answers right now.
This. And even with as removed as Jody Allen is, I think the informed and intelligent staff around her are telling her the Seahawks are in the kind of trouble that demands action. I have a feeling something is going to be done once the season is over.

Reactions: Xxx

BASF

Reaction score
I enjoyed the optimism coming from the fan base to start the season, and I kept my mouth shut for the most part. However, I was pointing out last year before anyone that Shane Waldron did not have enough variations in his play calling. People started harping on Geno and his turnover worthy throws. Great, he definitely had a lot, but it was DBs jumping routes because they were running the routes better than the receivers in a lot of cases. That speaks to the OC having been figured out by the league. It is up to the coordinator to have variations upon variations upon variations to make sure they are at least a step ahead of the defense. Waldron is not that. Pete probably wanted to give him another season to prove himself, but it was to our detriment.

I was not a fan of the Hurtt hire and have posted several times regarding him and his lack of creativity with stunts and blitzes. He came up with some changes last year that worked for five games, but as soon as the OCs of the league caught on and started running us, he could not come up with an answer.

Going into the season, my optimism was guarded. We definitely have talent, but with two coordinators who had been figured out in a half season and did not make enough changes during the season makes us limited in potential. Carroll kept them, he is responsible for this mess. His haters always point to him meddling without understanding that he gives his coordinators too much rope trying to develop them to move up in their careers. The game has not passed him by, he simply has chosen poorly those he trusts to take him into the new NFL styles. It is time for him to retire. Unfortunately, he has become the enemy for so many who simply do not understand him.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The bottom line with this team is we have SHIT players in the trenches. Neither offensive or defensive linemen are good enough, or getting the job done for whatever reason. All the other talent is there, but lacking those key pieces, neither side of the ball can function well against any decent teams.

m0ng0

Reaction score
The bottom line with this team is we have SHIT players in the trenches. Neither offensive or defensive linemen are good enough, or getting the job done for whatever reason. All the other talent is there, but lacking those key pieces, neither side of the ball can function well against any decent teams.
Yeah I hate to say it but I kinda agree.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I felt myself that we had the Legion of Boom II this season and we would be giving the Niners a turning point for us to be rising and them on the down fall. I saw our receiving corp lighting it up, visions of touchdown records being broken. I imagined Geno of the 1st half of last season returning to form and leading us deep in the post season. Never would I have thought this team would lapse in the fundamentals of playing and having the red zone being their kryptonite whenever they got close. As every season I hoped we would once be approaching the days we saw before when Russell lifted this team to greatness. There is talent on this team, no doubt whatsoever..it's there. My lack of faith is in the coaching and the QB, the failure to make adjustments to the other teams plays, mediocre pass plays, watching the other teams gash us for 10,15 yards or more with the same plays time after time. Finally the penalties draining this teams soul at the worst critical moments when there's even an shed of light of gaining any kind of momentum. We seem lost, unguided wandering the field with a lack of true leadership. The spark of this team is smoldering and the next few games are going to be a tidal wave that may just squander out what's left of any energy left. You can't be angry with any fan with their feelings of frustration no matter what their view is on why we are headed with our current trend. There's lots of blame to go around with this team from top to bottom. Regardless until this team figures things out, whether it's a season or a decade later, I'll do my part and be the life long fan I was always meant to be. Go Hawks win or lose..this is still my team...at its heights of glory or its lows of doom. I love this team.

cymatica

Reaction score
True, but competent coaching can help mitigate that with all the other talent available. Geno didn't throw in practice all week leading up to Thursday. He didn't even warm up until less than an hour before kick off. So what does Waldron do? He starts the game by having Geno throw out routes.