Fools Gold

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think we're framing successes and failures differently, and that's why we keep revisiting the same kind of philosophical arguments.

When looking from an outsiders perspective and trying to put ourselves in the shoes of an objective observer, I'd consider them successful. This is because we would compare their level of success against the rest of the league, and they rank highly in that regard.

With the perspective of a fan, though, we would base success more on accolades and big victories, like postseason success. This would then lead us to classify the organization as failing overall.

It's all just a perspective issue. When comparing it to the job performance of an individual like you or I, I'm sure overall win percentage would be more applicable. They'd be a "better than average performer." As fans, though, we stake our hopes on them being the department-topping, big swingin' ding-dong stud who wins the year end accolades.

Lots of ways to define success and failure. All depends on our individual expectations. Some of us would endorse the Rams model, some of us would go slow and steady with classic Green Bay school team building. Just like the coaches in the league, I suppose we're all different in that way.

Come on Mael. In outsiders perspective doesn't follow the team like we do and when they see the Seahawks as their opponent (especially in the post season), they think their team will win and they usually do (in the post season i'm talking about). Nobody is afraid of Seattle. Haven't been for years. They have been first round fodder for the most part. Pretenders. As a fan, I have no expectations or hope for them in the playoffs. Why would anybody else?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Come on Mael. In outsiders perspective doesn't follow the team like we do and when they see the Seahawks as their opponent (especially in the post season), they think their team will win and they usually do (in the post season i'm talking about). Nobody is afraid of Seattle. Haven't been for years. They have been first round fodder for the most part. Pretenders. As a fan, I have no expectations or hope for them in the playoffs. Why would anybody else?
Well, this discussion was originally framed as discussing their performance in the past 9 years, and that's what my post was referencing.

If we're talking, say, since 2021 - then I agree. No one has a reason to fear the Seattle Seahawks, outside of for a brief period in 2022.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Well, this discussion was originally framed as discussing their performance in the past 9 years, and that's what my post was referencing.

If we're talking, say, since 2021 - then I agree. No one has a reason to fear the Seattle Seahawks, outside of for a brief period in 2022.

I understand, but it's been much longer than that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I understand, but it's been much longer than that.
From 2014 to 2022, they still won 10+ 6 out of 9 times, and 2 of those misses were 9 win seasons. As much as that is contextually underperformance to us, that is still something the rest of the NFL had to respect. That's not something that's really replicated by other teams, with very few exceptions.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
From 2014 to 2022, they still won 10+ 6 out of 9 times, and 2 of those misses were 9 win seasons. As much as that is contextually underperformance to us, that is still something the rest of the NFL had to respect. That's not something that's really replicated by other teams, with very few exceptions.

Ok, you got me there. I guess it was me that didn't have much hope for advancement.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Everyone else, though, they would've just seen us as... maybe roughly analogous to the Chiefs or Bills of the current NFL.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This is a below average team being held back by poor coaching and sub par QB play.

Our interior linemen on both sides of the ball are soft. Safeties are all around poor.

Wagner and Brooks have to play like their hairs on fire due to being surrounded by poor play around them. Woolen took a step back which is unfortunate and I point to poor coaching on that.

I'd like to see Witherspoon moved to safety next year, with a focus on interior linemen in the draft and free agency. Good ones. No guys that disappear like Dramont Jones.

Last edited: