For 49er fans how many wins will your squad have?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
With everyone and their brother picking the Hawks to win the west this year considering all the great players you guys lost this year like Ebukam, Mosely, Ward and Al-Shaair and McGlinchey. What are your honest expectations of the San Francisco 49ers win-loss record? I’m thinking 8-9 losses looking at your quarterback situation and schedule.
And let’s face it Trey Lance hasn’t exactly panned out guys with a bleak outlook on any future improvement.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
So much of this depends on how Purdy recovers. If he is 100% at the start of the season, then they will likely be in every game, and are probably dropping 5 to 6 games tops. If Purdy isn't, then they could drop 8 or 9 easy

Weadoption

Reaction score
11-6?
7-10?
5-12?
same glaring issue every frickin year……qb health and/or qb play faltering in the playoffs

Lagartixa

Reaction score
With everyone and their brother picking the Hawks to win the west this year considering all the great players you guys lost this year like Ebukam, Mosely, Ward and Al-Shaair and McGlinchey. What are your honest expectations of the San Francisco 49ers win-loss record? I’m thinking 8-9 losses looking at your quarterback situation and schedule.
And let’s face it Trey Lance hasn’t exactly panned out guys with a bleak outlook on any future improvement.

I am definitely not a fan of the Gold Diggers. I rooted for them in Super Bowls in the '80s, but in the '90s, I actually found myself rooting for the Cowboys as the best hope to stop the Gold Diggers, and then once the Seahawks moved (back, technically) to the NFC West, I came to dislike the Gold Diggers in a different way. I think my loathing for the Raiders and Broncos is still more visceral, but Rams fans (since the Rams won a Super Bowl, there are now a good ten or twelve Rams fans in the world) and fans of the Gold Diggers are more annoying than fans of the Raiders and Broncos.

I said all that to make it clear that I am not trying to minimize what the Gold Diggers lost in the offseason out of some kind of fondness for the GDs or hope for them to continue being contenders. But c'mon - it's a giant exaggeration to use the words "great players" to describe Ebukam, Mosely, Ward, Al-Shaair, and McGlinchey. They're all good enough to be in the NFL, but I don't think any one of them, much less the five collectively, can be accurately described as "great."
Mosely, Ward, and Al-Shaair haven't even been regular starters. McGlinchey has, but he hasn't been all that good. The OP himself has been quite critical of McGlinchey around here and very obviously didn't think of him as a "great player." Ebukam has been good enough to start on an NFL team, but I don't think many people other than his agent would even think about using "great" to describe his NFL career to this point. He's a decent player at his position, a player who can add to an NFL team's chances of winning, especially at what have been reasonable cap numbers for a decent player at his position, but he's not a "great" player.

As for quarterbacks, I'm glad the 49ers front office wasted huge amounts of draft capital on Lance, but I think Purdy is more relevant at this point. He's a lot cheaper than Lance, about the same age (four months older), and he's actually done a good job as a starter in the NFL for five games. I don't think he's guaranteed (or even all that likely) to continue to be as good going forward as he was over his five NFL starts in 2022, but he's shown much more in actual NFL games than Lance has. While Lance looks nowhere close to being a decent NFL starter and has fully guaranteed cap numbers of $9,301,434 for 2023 and $10,851,673, Purdy has already produced more value on the field in the NFL than his four-year cap number (2022-2025) of $3,737,012.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I am definitely not a fan of the Gold Diggers. I rooted for them in Super Bowls in the '80s, but in the '90s, I actually found myself rooting for the Cowboys as the best hope to stop the Gold Diggers, and then once the Seahawks moved (back, technically) to the NFC West, I came to dislike the Gold Diggers in a different way. I think my loathing for the Raiders and Broncos is still more visceral, but Rams fans (since the Rams won a Super Bowl, there are now a good ten or twelve Rams fans in the world) and fans of the Gold Diggers are more annoying than fans of the Raiders and Broncos.

I said all that to make it clear that I am not trying to minimize what the Gold Diggers lost in the offseason out of some kind of fondness for the GDs or hope for them to continue being contenders. But c'mon - it's a giant exaggeration to use the words "great players" to describe Ebukam, Mosely, Ward, Al-Shaair, and McGlinchey. They're all good enough to be in the NFL, but I don't think any one of them, much less the five collectively, can be accurately described as "great."
Mosely, Ward, and Al-Shaair haven't even been regular starters. McGlinchey has, but he hasn't been all that good. The OP himself has been quite critical of McGlinchey around here and very obviously didn't think of him as a "great player." Ebukam has been good enough to start on an NFL team, but I don't think many people other than his agent would even think about using "great" to describe his NFL career to this point. He's a decent player at his position, a player who can add to an NFL team's chances of winning, especially at what have been reasonable cap numbers for a decent player at his position, but he's not a "great" player.

As for quarterbacks, I'm glad the 49ers front office wasted huge amounts of draft capital on Lance, but I think Purdy is more relevant at this point. He's a lot cheaper than Lance, about the same age (four months older), and he's actually done a good job as a starter in the NFL for five games. I don't think he's guaranteed (or even all that likely) to continue to be as good going forward as he was over his five NFL starts in 2022, but he's shown much more in actual NFL games than Lance has. While Lance looks nowhere close to being a decent NFL starter and has fully guaranteed cap numbers of $9,301,434 for 2023 and $10,851,673, Purdy has already produced more value on the field in the NFL than his four-year cap number (2022-2025) of $3,737,012.
Ikr Lance basically the exact same cap hit as our starting quarterback lol

94Smith

Reaction score
The line in Vegas is 10.5 , so they will have 10.5 wins. 10-6-1. The great players you speak of aren't so great, other than Ward and Moseley. Moseley wasn't playing last year though. The team proved last year it doesn't matter who the QB is, they win because of Kyle Shanahan and the weapons available.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The line in Vegas is 10.5 , so they will have 10.5 wins. 10-6-1. The great players you speak of aren't so great, other than Ward and Moseley. Moseley wasn't playing last year though. The team proved last year it doesn't matter who the QB is, they win because of Kyle Shanahan and the weapons available.
Wtf McGlinchey was a freak at right tackle and Ebukam is vastly talented. But you landed Kerry Hyder’s ass so you’re good right?

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Quit living in the past.
Living in the past is reaching back 4 decades like you…however, the past 10 years is very recent and relevant. You took dead last overall in the division for the past 10 years guy lmao 🤣

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
94 Smith if you win the bet I’ll send you a Chinese knockoff Kerry Hyder jersey deal? 200

bileever

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but the 49ers are still a force to be reckoned with. Last year they were 13-4, in 2019, 13-3, and 10-7 in 2021. The one down year was 2020 when both Jimmy and Nick Bosa were injured. I think they're still winning 11 or more games this year.

I expect that the defense will take a step back, partly because it's hard to be as exceptional as they were last year, and also because of losing DeMeco Ryans. The secondary is not great, and one of these days, they will pay the price for that.

Offensively, I think Kyle Shanahan is a genius, and this year, he doesn't just have a bunch of no-names running the ball. He'll have CMC for the whole year, and Deebo will be better this year after being distracted by his contract negotiations last year. Kittle is healthy and Trent Williams is still Trent Williams. I'm hoping that the loss of McGlinchey's will be significant. Who's playing QB doesn't seem to matter a whole lot to Shanahan. He's succeeded with RGIII, Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo. So it won't matter if it's Lance, Purdy or Darnold.

What I'm hoping for is that (1) Trent Williams starts to decline in his age 35 season, (2) Nick Bosa signs a huge contract extension and starts to coast a little, (3) CMC starts to show some wear and tear after some hard mileage on that 27 year old body, and (4) Brock Purdy turns out to be not as great as people thought last year. If all this happens, they may win less than 11 games.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but the 49ers are still a force to be reckoned with. Last year they were 13-4, in 2019, 13-3, and 10-7 in 2021. The one down year was 2020 when both Jimmy and Nick Bosa were injured. I think they're still winning 11 or more games this year.

I expect that the defense will take a step back, partly because it's hard to be as exceptional as they were last year, and also because of losing DeMeco Ryans. The secondary is not great, and one of these days, they will pay the price for that.

Offensively, I think Kyle Shanahan is a genius, and this year, he doesn't just have a bunch of no-names running the ball. He'll have CMC for the whole year, and Deebo will be better this year after being distracted by his contract negotiations last year. Kittle is healthy and Trent Williams is still Trent Williams. I'm hoping that the loss of McGlinchey's will be significant. Who's playing QB doesn't seem to matter a whole lot to Shanahan. He's succeeded with RGIII, Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo. So it won't matter if it's Lance, Purdy or Darnold.

What I'm hoping for is that (1) Trent Williams starts to decline in his age 35 season, (2) Nick Bosa signs a huge contract extension and starts to coast a little, (3) CMC starts to show some wear and tear after some hard mileage on that 27 year old body, and (4) Brock Purdy turns out to be not as great as people thought last year. If all this happens, they may win less than 11 games.
That’s what I mean. They’re one injury away from a 5 win season. And we all know the injury history of CMC and Bosa. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bosa gets a real bad injury this year. I hope he doesn’t but at the same time it wouldn’t surprise me

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
ok but you should know we still beat the Hawks twice out of those 5, almost 400 yards rushing, draft more defensive lineman bruh.
We’ve added so much to the D this offseason it’s almost an embarrassment of riches what Pete has been able to compile with John Schneider. Wake up and smell the coffee guy. Pay attention to the early games. We might run away with the division is what many believe including myself

Weadoption

Reaction score
We’ve added so much to the D this offseason it’s almost an embarrassment of riches what Pete has been able to compile with John Schneider. Wake up and smell the coffee guy. Pay attention to the early games. We might run away with the division is what many believe including
agree you have even more badass corners and wide receivers.
thing is, you almost always do.
Can Geno do what he did last season, again?
Can Purdy do what he did last season again?
If i’m being honest I think Geno is more apt to repeat his success, still i’m gonna dream/hope a bit that Purdy just might be your worst nightmare come true.