For 49er fans how many wins will your squad have?

bileever

Reaction score
Can Geno do what he did last season, again?
Can Purdy do what he did last season again?
Good questions. I would add to that these two questions:

Will the 49er defense be close to what it was last year?
How much will the Seahawk defense improve?

The answers to those four questions will determine how the NFC West plays out.

One thing that both Seahawk and 49er fans can agree on: How great is it that the Rams and Cardinals both suck?

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

One thing that both Seahawk and 49er fans can agree on: How great is it that the Rams and Cardinals both suck?
Yeah the Rams are struggling and will take them 5 years to rebuild and Donald is playing only one more year. The Cards are stuck with Murray who could be one dimensional this year.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
agree you have even more badass corners and wide receivers.
thing is, you almost always do.
Can Geno do what he did last season, again?
Can Purdy do what he did last season again?
If i’m being honest I think Geno is more apt to repeat his success, still i’m gonna dream/hope a bit that Purdy just might be your worst nightmare come true.
Right on bro fair enough. Why is Lance so poor of a passer and runner though? Did you think he would be a lot more athletic than he actually is? Just curious

Weadoption

Reaction score
Right on bro fair enough. Why is Lance so poor of a passer and runner though? Did you think he would be a lot more athletic than he actually is? Just curious
with Lance, i have the same feeling i’ve always had, I just haven’t seen him play enough, and there were a lot of things he did in a certainly underwhelming fashion. His running seemed totally indecisive at times, and you could tell he was struggling with the playbook. College experience matters, he didn’t have much of that. I’d like to think a lesson was learned, but SF really does not have the greatest track record in the 1st round of the draft, at all. And then when they do hit on one, they start racking up DUIs and domestic violence charges. Either way, they have blown a crap load of 1st rounders one way or another. Kinlaw a good example, drafted a hurt guy with upside. There are two ways to lose that bet, either with the hurt risk factor or being too wrong on the upside estimation to begin with. pisses me off. just a fan i know, but seems like they have whiffed a lot with that type of pick.

Weadoption

Reaction score

imagine being a Cardinals fan. a team that is year in year out in the +20,000 odds range to win the super bowl. and even that seems generous, because it literally seems impossible. Fan base is like a doomsday cult.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
That’s what I mean. They’re one injury away from a 5 win season. And we all know the injury history of CMC and Bosa. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bosa gets a real bad injury this year. I hope he doesn’t but at the same time it wouldn’t surprise me
the fact that you posted this means you hope that. not cool man.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m not sure the Hawks can take the Niners…yet. Of course, the homer in me says it’s our time.

But, even with the QB situation, they’re a very good football team. As of now, the Lance pick was a huge whiff. But if Purdy is back, they’ll still be as competitive as ever.

That Lance pick and the capital they gave up hurt but how many teams could’ve bounced back from that investment in the manner they did?

There’s nothing wrong with showing respect for your ‘sworn enemies’. Beating the Niners makes me moist. But I gotta give respect where it’s due.

P.S. Their city is still a giant shithole. But their team is still a threat.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I’m not sure the Hawks can take the Niners…yet. Of course, the homer in me says it’s our time.

But, even with the QB situation, they’re a very good football team. As of now, the Lance pick was a huge whiff. But if Purdy is back, they’ll still be as competitive as ever.

That Lance pick and the capital they gave up hurt but how many teams could’ve bounced back from that investment in the manner they did?

There’s nothing wrong with showing respect for your ‘sworn enemies’. Beating the Niners makes me moist. But I gotta give respect where it’s due.

P.S. Their city is still a giant shithole. But their team is still a threat.
santa clara isn't so bad

Aircrew

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but the 49ers are still a force to be reckoned with. Last year they were 13-4, in 2019, 13-3, and 10-7 in 2021. The one down year was 2020 when both Jimmy and Nick Bosa were injured. I think they're still winning 11 or more games this year.

I expect that the defense will take a step back, partly because it's hard to be as exceptional as they were last year, and also because of losing DeMeco Ryans. The secondary is not great, and one of these days, they will pay the price for that.

Offensively, I think Kyle Shanahan is a genius, and this year, he doesn't just have a bunch of no-names running the ball. He'll have CMC for the whole year, and Deebo will be better this year after being distracted by his contract negotiations last year. Kittle is healthy and Trent Williams is still Trent Williams. I'm hoping that the loss of McGlinchey's will be significant. Who's playing QB doesn't seem to matter a whole lot to Shanahan. He's succeeded with RGIII, Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo. So it won't matter if it's Lance, Purdy or Darnold.

What I'm hoping for is that (1) Trent Williams starts to decline in his age 35 season, (2) Nick Bosa signs a huge contract extension and starts to coast a little, (3) CMC starts to show some wear and tear after some hard mileage on that 27 year old body, and (4) Brock Purdy turns out to be not as great as people thought last year. If all this happens, they may win less than 11 games.
This. SC's defense is beautiful to watch, the sheer amount of talent on that side of the ball is impressive and frightening at the same time. I think our offenses are pretty even, but until we can come close to matching that defense, it's the 9ers division to lose.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I am definitely not a fan of the Gold Diggers. I rooted for them in Super Bowls in the '80s, but in the '90s, I actually found myself rooting for the Cowboys as the best hope to stop the Gold Diggers, and then once the Seahawks moved (back, technically) to the NFC West, I came to dislike the Gold Diggers in a different way. I think my loathing for the Raiders and Broncos is still more visceral, but Rams fans (since the Rams won a Super Bowl, there are now a good ten or twelve Rams fans in the world) and fans of the Gold Diggers are more annoying than fans of the Raiders and Broncos.

I said all that to make it clear that I am not trying to minimize what the Gold Diggers lost in the offseason out of some kind of fondness for the GDs or hope for them to continue being contenders. But c'mon - it's a giant exaggeration to use the words "great players" to describe Ebukam, Mosely, Ward, Al-Shaair, and McGlinchey. They're all good enough to be in the NFL, but I don't think any one of them, much less the five collectively, can be accurately described as "great."
Mosely, Ward, and Al-Shaair haven't even been regular starters. McGlinchey has, but he hasn't been all that good. The OP himself has been quite critical of McGlinchey around here and very obviously didn't think of him as a "great player." Ebukam has been good enough to start on an NFL team, but I don't think many people other than his agent would even think about using "great" to describe his NFL career to this point. He's a decent player at his position, a player who can add to an NFL team's chances of winning, especially at what have been reasonable cap numbers for a decent player at his position, but he's not a "great" player.

As for quarterbacks, I'm glad the 49ers front office wasted huge amounts of draft capital on Lance, but I think Purdy is more relevant at this point. He's a lot cheaper than Lance, about the same age (four months older), and he's actually done a good job as a starter in the NFL for five games. I don't think he's guaranteed (or even all that likely) to continue to be as good going forward as he was over his five NFL starts in 2022, but he's shown much more in actual NFL games than Lance has. While Lance looks nowhere close to being a decent NFL starter and has fully guaranteed cap numbers of $9,301,434 for 2023 and $10,851,673, Purdy has already produced more value on the field in the NFL than his four-year cap number (2022-2025) of $3,737,012.
LOL.

You beat me to it.

Ebukam: Please. Much more excited to see Drake Jackson in year 2.

McGlichey: 49ers have been looking to replace him for a few years now. He's excellent in the run game, but he's a liability in the pass game.

Moseley: I really liked the guy...but they went on a winning streak to end the season AFTER he tore his ACL. Lenoir played well to finish the season and very well in the playoffs.

Al-Shaair: Really good LB, but he's not on the team anymore because they weren't going to give a big contract for a guy who was seldom on the field as LB3. LB is among the strongest positions on the team and they have some young guys they like there. Al-Shaair was an UDFA.

Ward: Honestly, THIS is the only one that really gives me any concern. He wants to be a safety, but he was the Nickel last year and played well. They signed Isaiah Oliver to play that spot.

To answer the OPs question tho, I never make those kinds of predictions. There are just way too many variables.

If they stay relatively healthy my guess they contend for the division and do well in the playoffs. That, however, is a big if.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Bosa contract bout to end the having of other nice things forever, and ever, and ever

bileever

Reaction score
Bosa contract bout to end the having of other nice things forever, and ever, and ever
Yes, this is one thing that sucks in the NFL. When you succeed, you get penalized. (Of course, in this instance, I'm not complaining. It's the one thing that is sure to help us against the 49ers.)

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Players don’t like California state income tax. Bosa might play out his contract and bounce east. Florida comes to mind

Latest posts