For 49er fans how many wins will your squad have?

Weadoption

Reaction score
Players don’t like California state income tax. Bosa might play out his contract and bounce east. Florida comes to mind
Nobody like CA taxes, or the city of SF or the zombies that have taken over that city.
I’m diggin this heat wave though it tends to burn back the horde a bit, gotta look for the positives…..

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Nobody like CA taxes, or the city of SF or the zombies that have taken over that city.
I’m diggin this heat wave though it tends to burn back the horde a bit, gotta look for the positives…..
That Henry’s hi-life in the town area in SC is nothing to write home about. Tried Smoked prime rib wasn’t impressed

Mix

Reaction score
The Niners record will come down to if Purdy is the real deal, or just a QB who had a short lived level of success.

They could have a record anywhere from 5 wins to 14 wins. It will all come down to the QB play.

They will be playing a first place teams schedule.

bileever

Reaction score
5 wins? Are they playing with no quarterback ?
It was just 3 years ago, in the 2020 season, that the 49ers finished 6-10. So it could happen. And I know Jimmy and Nick Bosa were injured. But the point is that there is always a path to a losing season in this league. It's hard to win games in the NFL.

Here's a path for the 49ers to end up 5-12:

1. The offensive line, with Trent Williams and basically no one else, takes a huge step back, as predicted by PFF: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason.

2. The defense falters under Steve Wilkes, who is not DeMeco Ryans or Robert Saleh. His Carolina defense last year was 19th. He did coach a good defense in Carolina under Ron Rivera in 2017, but that was largely Sean McDermott's defense that he took over when McDermott left to coach the Bills.

3. If having 2 quarterbacks is like having no quarterbacks, then what is having three QBs? If the QB situation ends up being a shit show, it's going to divide the locker room and cause all kinds of issues.

4. CMC isn't as productive in year 2 because it's his seventh season as a running back in the NFL and at some point, you just lose your hops and you're not as effective. Deebo Samuel is the same player he was last year, and isn't the superstar receiver they pay him to be.

5. Javon Hargrave, it turns out, wasn't the best lineman on the Eagles after all (although we already know this). Having been paid, he's no longer hungry and turns in a desultory season.

I'm not saying any of these things will happen or is likely to happen, just that this is one way in which the 49ers could easily finish 5-12.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It was just 3 years ago, in the 2020 season, that the 49ers finished 6-10. So it could happen. And I know Jimmy and Nick Bosa were injured. But the point is that there is always a path to a losing season in this league. It's hard to win games in the NFL.

1. The offensive line, with Trent Williams and basically no one else, takes a huge step back, as predicted by PFF: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason.

2. The defense falters under Steve Wilkes, who is not DeMeco Ryans or Robert Saleh. His Carolina defense last year was 19th. He did coach a good defense in Carolina under Ron Rivera in 2017, but that was largely Sean McDermott's defense that he took over when McDermott left to coach the Bills.

3. If having 2 quarterbacks is like having no quarterbacks, then what is having three QBs? If the QB situation ends up being a shit show, it's going to divide the locker room and cause all kinds of issues.

4. CMC isn't as productive in year 2 because it's his seventh season as a running back in the NFL and at some point, you just lose your hops and you're not as effective. Deebo Samuel is the same player he was last year, and isn't the superstar receiver they pay him to be.

5. Javon Hargrave, it turns out, wasn't the best lineman on the Eagles after all (although we already know this). Having been paid, he's no longer hungry and turns in a desultory season.

I'm not saying any of these things will happen or is likely to happen, just that this is one way in which the 49ers could easily finish 5-12.
This is a very real scenario and an intelligent post. It could happen to any team and basically has happened to us a lot going into the playoffs mostly dealing with injuries at key positions and a short quarterback that lost his ability as a dual threat. Purdy might go through a sophomore slump and other injuries are prone to happen no doubt, which is why Kyle wanted Darnold as a possible week 1 starter if Brock isn’t ready to go. No sense rushing him back. Darnold is more than capable and kind of reminds me of Drew Lock so you should actually be solid with Sam.

What is seen as a huge black eye to John Lynch’s rep, something you can’t sweep under the rug like it’s no big deal is the fact that he spent a lot of draft capital to trade up for Trey Lance. Lance hasn’t panned out, and now with a $9.5 million dollar cap hit, there isn’t a single team in the league interested in his services. You would literally have to pay another team to take him off of your roster.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Again...I don't predict records...but saying they went 6-10 in 2020 completely ignores WHY they went 6-10.

Had nothing to do with anything on the list. It was Injuries. Plain and simple. They set and NFL record for player games on IR that year. The years SURROUNDING 2020? SB before, NFCCG two years since.

Its about the injuries. That's why I said assuming they stay relatively healthy I'd expect them to contend for Division Crown again.

Marvin49

Reaction score
This is a very real scenario and an intelligent post. It could happen to any team and basically has happened to us a lot going into the playoffs mostly dealing with injuries at key positions and a short quarterback that lost his ability as a dual threat. Purdy might go through a sophomore slump and other injuries are prone to happen no doubt, which is why Kyle wanted Darnold as a possible week 1 starter if Brock isn’t ready to go. No sense rushing him back. Darnold is more than capable and kind of reminds me of Drew Lock so you should actually be solid with Sam.

What is seen as a huge black eye to John Lynch’s rep, something you can’t sweep under the rug like it’s no big deal is the fact that he spent a lot of draft capital to trade up for Trey Lance. Lance hasn’t panned out, and now with a $9.5 million dollar cap hit, there isn’t a single team in the league interested in his services. You would literally have to pay another team to take him off of your roster.

Bro...seriously..."huge black eye"...lol. Just stop man. You WANTING that to be true doesn't make it so.

GMs miss on players all the time. Bill Walsh drafted Terrence Flagler and Reggie McGrew in the 1st round. When that GM has put together possibly the best ROSTER in the NFL, nobody really looks at a bad trade and goes "oh man, thats a black eye...gotta get rid of him". That's true ESPECIALLY when the guy they gave that stuff up for isn't playing because another guy you drafted played so well.

The draft only tells the story of how a guy gets on the roster. Nothing matters after that. If they missed on every 1st round pick but were always drafting Fred Warners, Deebo Samuels, Dre Greenlaws, George Kittles, etc in later rounds...nobody who matters really cares man.

Weadoption

Reaction score
what if we stay healthy, more than 5 wins?
McCaffrey and Purdy both stay healthy and play well for most of the season, that’s likely going to be domination.
Can’t say I know what that looks like until it happens, but it is going to likely involve a shitload of yards, touchdowns and lots of Ws.
McCaffrey is a nightmare, a literal nightmare to defend in Shannys system.
Add Kittle to the mix of upside what if scenarios and the offense is a juggernaut.

bileever

Reaction score
Again...I don't predict records...but saying they went 6-10 in 2020 completely ignores WHY they went 6-10.

Had nothing to do with anything on the list. It was Injuries. Plain and simple. They set and NFL record for player games on IR that year. The years SURROUNDING 2020? SB before, NFCCG two years since.

Its about the injuries. That's why I said assuming they stay relatively healthy I'd expect them to contend for Division Crown again.
I acknowledged there were injuries in 2020. Injuries are part of the game, but I admit the 49ers had more than their fair share in 2020. But many teams overcome injuries. Shanahan's teams seem to fold up their tent pretty quickly when they encounter adversity. See, for example, 2017 and 2018.

And there are many ways for teams to have their season go up in flames. We've seen many a good team not reach their potential. Every year there's a team predicted to compete for the title that ends up with a losing record. I've also acknowledged that Shanahan is a genius. But he's also the same genius who's managed to lose two Super Bowls after having a lead late in the game.

I expect the 49ers to contend for the division title, and more. But even without injuries, there are always obstacles to overcome.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The draft only tells the story of how a guy gets on the roster. Nothing matters after that. If they missed on every 1st round pick but were always drafting Fred Warners, Deebo Samuels, Dre Greenlaws, George Kittles, etc in later rounds...nobody who matters really cares man.

Don’t forget the Brock Purdys.

Shan’s qbs don’t stay healthy. Brock is no exception. Trey will get his chance for however many games if and likely when Brock gets injured. Not that I wish that on Brock or anyone, but I like our chances with Lance better, preferably with a game or two on tape prior.

Lynch may well have picked the next Jalen Hurts in Lance, but Hurts himself sucked his rookie year to the point of the Eagles dressing Nate Sudfeld instead. Lance has proven already that it’ll take at least a year. I give It two.

As long as Lance only starts sparsely, he will not be a threat.