Geno vs. Sam QB mobility.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Sam had 5 rushing TDs last year... Geno had one.

Geno Smith was sacked on 5.8% of his dropbacks in 2023, good for ninth-best in the league at avoiding sacks.
Sam Howell was sacked on 9.6% of his dropbacks in 2023, "good" for 28th-best in the league at avoiding sacks.

To put it in terms Seahawks fans can understand, Howell's 2023 was between Russell Wilson's second-worst and fourth-worst sack-taking seasons.

FraudCarroll

Reaction score
They both can keep the play alive. Geno is probably better at sensing pressure and moving up/escaping. I think the interior is going to be fine if they draft JPJ, fautanu, or Barton. Which is probably their plan, I really don’t buy the interior DL with the first pick.

xray

Reaction score
A Brady/Manning type QB paired with a gr8 OL is my preferred choice .

Chevy

Reaction score
The moment we treat real games like exhibition games is the moment we need to purge the entire organization from top to bottom and start over.

We are not contenders for the Super Bowl this year. So yes, lets see what we have in Sam starting or getting real game reps this year.

Its short sighted, not to do so.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We are not contenders for the Super Bowl this year. So yes, lets see what we have in Sam starting or getting real game reps this year.

Its short sighted, not to do so.
It's short sighted to consider the personnel over the ethos of the organization. Sitting a legitimate starter with buy-in to evaluate a young guy who flamed out in Washington isn't the type of move winning organizations make.

If they're 4-10 with a few games left, sure. Go for it. If they're 14-1 with nothing to play for with a few games left, sure. Go for it.

It can't be under consideration if we're anywhere between those two extremes.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Pre-season games will be very telling. That's how Russ beat out Flynn for the starting job. I don't hold out much hope that Howell will be anything more than a good backup, but that's where this story arc is obviously heading.

Chevy

Reaction score
It's short sighted to consider the personnel over the ethos of the organization. Sitting a legitimate starter with buy-in to evaluate a young guy who flamed out in Washington isn't the type of move winning organizations make.

If they're 4-10 with a few games left, sure. Go for it. If they're 14-1 with nothing to play for with a few games left, sure. Go for it.

It can't be under consideration if we're anywhere between those two extremes.

Yeah, you are right it would be against JS background in always compete. I'm just anxious about the Seahawks finding their future QB.

xray

Reaction score
Yeah, you are right it would be against JS background in always compete. I'm just anxious about the Seahawks finding their future QB.
Imo , the future QB for the Hawks is in this year's draft , and JS will have to figure out a way to make it happen , likely in the 3rd round .

Jville

Reaction score
Sam is still developing. He has a lot he can improve in better utilizing his blockers. Improving linemen blocking angles. Utilizing a well timed a quick move to his left or right. It's a skill Drew Brees became very proficient at. Sam's favorite quarterback.

Geno has set a terrific example of grit and skill development.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Sam is far more mobile than Geno. Geno runs begrudgingly and usually way too late. Geno took way less sacks but didn't drop back to pass near as much. Howell threw more than anyone in the NFL. If you're throwing it that much the other team knows you're going to throw. That results in more sacks and more interceptions. Geno still throws the prettiest ball in the NFL for my money. Howell is accurate but doesn't have Geno's cannon. It will be interesting to see if Grubb still uses all that pre snap motion in the NFL. The starter could be the guy that reads that the best and knows what he sees when they line up initially and what happens when they shift.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
They both can keep the play alive. Geno is probably better at sensing pressure and moving up/escaping. I think the interior is going to be fine if they draft JPJ, fautanu, or Barton. Which is probably their plan, I really don’t buy the interior DL with the first pick.
Id contend that is Geno's worst trait. He has awful pocket awareness. One of my biggest knocks on him. I think part of it is his processing speed. It's the single biggest thing that's keeping him from being an elite QB. Late throws and late in baling from the pocket. When Geno is on time, throwing in rhythm and getting the ball out quickly he looks like a world beater.

knownone

Reaction score
If PFF is any indication, Geno was above-average at avoiding and handling pressure last year. Howell was historically bad at both. He had one of the highest sack-caused percentages—not just last season—but over the last decade. Worse, the Commanders had a better offensive line in most metrics.

flv2

Reaction score
Both John and Mike have said the OL is a work in progress, will/should QB mobility be a deciding factor in who the Seahawks QB is in 2024?
no/no. Best QB/QB mostly likely to deliver the win will/should play. Smith is clearly the #1 QB at this point. That could change before the end of the 2024 season. The hope is that Howell will show enough for him to be the #1 QB going into 2025.

far north

Reaction score
i think if the o-line can get to dominating status both qb will get the job done

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The way I am seeing it is the Hawks have an all new coaching staff with a new system what both QBs did in 2023 means nothing. MM has said Geno is the #1 but by how much we don’t know, I still think the plan going into 2024 is Howell is the QB of the future if Geno doesn’t prove he the obvious starter he will have a short leash

xray

Reaction score
When JS drafts Rattler...it's on !! ;)