Good read: Geno contrast vs Wilson

keasley45

Reaction score
From the article:

'I would not ignore the signing of Jarrett Stidham in Denver.”

Stidham, a former fourth-round pick of the New England Patriots in 2019, signed a two-year deal for up to $10 million to join Payton and the Broncos, presumably to back up Wilson.

I know that sounds crazy, but they gave him $5 million dollars a year, and I think to some degree for Sean Payton, Jarrett Stidham is going to be like the baseline. Like, ‘Look what I can do with Jarrett Stidham.’ Like in preseason games and practice, ‘Look what I can do with Jarrett Stidham. So you’d be better be on it, Russell, because if you don’t I’m not afraid to walk away from you,'” Breer said. “And I know it sounds crazy, because Jarrett Stidham has been a backup first for years in the league, but I do think that was kind of an under-the-radar signing that should not be ignored … I think there’s there’s definitely a new sheriff there in Denver. I think it’s Sean Payton’s show there where I think in in Seattle there’s much more of a partnership between team and player at this point, which again, sounds wild. If I had told you that a year ago, you’d never have me on again, right?”

Ive been saying the same thing. Payton knows what he has in Russ and what he doesnt. And what does he do as insurance for his 'ELITE' quarter billion dollar QB? Pay a perennial backup 5 mil a year to come in and push the guy who should be the unquestioned leader of the team and one of the best at his position in the league.

It should say something that Payton, who is known as a brilliant coordinator and QB whisperer, that he's hedged so firmly against Russ. It should mean something that a guy who knows how to evaluate tape, QB play, who can read between the lines and through stats... that THAT guy looks at the same question we here on .net debate - Is Russ as great as he seemed or was he a product of PC, and simply a protected player who was allowed to play the game his way and for better or worse, dragged the team he played for along with him?

Payton's actions surely dont suggest he's convinced he's landed his elite signal caller in Russ. In fact, its the opposite.

I think Breer is right. PC and JS did the same thing 4 years ago that Payton is already doing now - get the guy they felt could do what they needed to to put the franchise in a position to win. Signing Geno wasnt flashy and didnt signal a change in direction. It was just a smart move to get a talent they thought could run things the way they needed them run if need be. What they got in Geno has far exceeded their expectations, im certain. Thankful we have the guys we do running this organization and that we have the player we do at QB.