Hall of Fame

HawkGA

Reaction score
The finalists have been announced. Gotta say, not overly impressed by the potential list.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14526 ... -finalists

Owens gets mentioned in the headlines but I think it would be a travesty if he got in. He never struck me as great. Favre, Faneca, and Morten Anderson are the only ones that really stand out to me as deserving. Maybe Harrison but even then he seemed like more of a guy who put up amazing numbers but never struck me as "great." That said, I recognize I have a high standard for what it should mean to get into the Hall of Fame.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Owens not great??? What does it take to be great in your opinion? He is #2 all time in receiving yards and #3 in TDs.

Also a first team all-pro 5x

rlkats

Reaction score
I remember the Eagles losing to the Patriots by 3 in the Superbowl. Owens played hurt and balled. While Mcnab was throwing picks Owens was the team that day. He definitely deserves to get in.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get the Owens comment. He was a game changer and has long term stats as well.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Yeah TO belongs in the hall. Gotta admit his TD celebrations were funny as hell, I mean dancing on the Dallas Star took some balls. If it hadn't been us he pulled the Sharpie out on, we'd have all thought it was hilarious as well.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Meh,Owens dropped the ball a lot. Though I will say being #2 in yardage surprises me a lot as do the touchdowns.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
So I just looked up the yardage leaders. Considering the top 10 is dominated by players from the current era, it is much less of an accomplishment than it sounds. More a product of the new era than any real greatness.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
You can't make a logical argument against putting Owens in the hall. Based on the numbers, he's in. Period.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":2zj155fb said:
So I just looked up the yardage leaders. Considering the top 10 is dominated by players from the current era, it is much less of an accomplishment than it sounds. More a product of the new era than any real greatness.

You are literally probably about the only person on the planet that doesn't think he should be in the HoF.

I don't exactly know how voting works, but he will be a first ballot entry and unanimous-unless it is like baseball where some people refuse to vote first ballots.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":15bqxv1d said:
Meh,Owens dropped the ball a lot. Though I will say being #2 in yardage surprises me a lot as do the touchdowns.

Are you going to make the argument that Favre shouldn't be in because he's the all time leader in interceptions?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Solid football gold stuff, this guy, love or hate him, if you saw him play and his antics, you'll never forget him....

[youtube]gbkJnJzamJk[/youtube]

[youtube]K-nxdzgQH8U[/youtube]

[youtube]F3tssXf2RrQ[/youtube]

[youtube]J4bdLxmJTvc[/youtube]

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HawkGA":37lg6nt3 said:

If you don't put Owens in the HOF, might as well take every other WR out aside from Jerry Rice. Dude is a top 4 WR of all time.

1. Jerry Rice
2a. Randy Moss
2b. Calvin Johnson
4. T.O

CodeWarrior":37lg6nt3 said:
You can't make a logical argument against putting Owens in the hall. Based on the numbers, he's in. Period.

There's no logical argument with numbers or game play/eye test, dude was an absolute monster for a long time.1st ballot with ease.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I gotta say, much as he was an idiot at times, they guy played with a ton of heart. I wasn't always a fan of his idiocy, but always had respect for his game and the heart he played it with.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I want to know how Orlando Pace didn't get in on last year which was his first year of eligibility. He wasn't Big Walt, but he wasn't far behind.

I can't stand TO, but he belongs. Favre obviously belongs. Faneca belongs. Kurt Warner belongs. Harrison, yeah I guess.

The interesting one is Ken Stabler who was nominated by the Vets committee. Purely on numbers he doesn't belong, but when it comes to intangibles he does.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":a40hzih3 said:
HawkGA":a40hzih3 said:

If you don't put Owens in the HOF, might as well take every other WR out aside from Jerry Rice. Dude is a top 4 WR of all time.

1. Jerry Rice
2a. Randy Moss
2b. Calvin Johnson
4. T.O

CodeWarrior":a40hzih3 said:

There's no logical argument with numbers or game play/eye test, dude was an absolute monster for a long time.1st ballot with ease.

Not sure how you can put Calvin Johnson that high,, yet. I've never seen a WR get open the way Moss and T.O did.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":216559so said:
I want to know how Orlando Pace didn't get in on last year which was his first year of eligibility. He wasn't Big Walt, but he wasn't far behind.

I can't stand TO, but he belongs. Favre obviously belongs. Faneca belongs. Kurt Warner belongs. Harrison, yeah I guess.

The interesting one is Ken Stabler who was nominated by the Vets committee. Purely on numbers he doesn't belong, but when it comes to intangibles he does.

Yea I agree. Although I think Pace was slightly better in his prime, and he won a superbowl, blocked for 3 MVPs and was a crucial part of the greatest 3 year stretch of offense in NFL history.

But Jones was definitely elite for a longer period of time.

Given what Pace helped accomplish, I thought for sure he'd get in last year.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
T.O. definitely belongs in the hall.

So does Isaac Bruce. Unfortunately this logjam at WR will keep him out, and I don't think he is even a finalist this year.

Harrison will get in over him with 37 more career TDs, but I still think Bruce was better. Harrison played with one QB in his career, and it was one of the top 5 QBs of all time. Bruce probably caught passes from 10 different QBs in his day, and his incredible season in 1995 could be the most impressive by a WR ever considering who the QB was.

Not to mention his catch/run in SB 34 is one of the greatest plays in super bowl history considering the score/situation.

drdiags

Reaction score
I figured Pace would go in on his first ballot as well. He, Jones and Ogden were this generation's version of Anthony Munoz. All were dominant in their day. I figure with the "Greatest Show on Turf" era taken into consideration that Pace would be in.

T.O and Brett Favre seem like locks to me. I know the NFLN is pushing hard for Warner and he did impact two organizations. His ending with the Rams due to injury and his time with the Giants could be used against him, but I could see him getting in.

Seems DeBartolo should make it no matter how his time ended with the league.

Sure would love to see my guy Easley come through the Old Timers pool but probably not going to happen anytime soon.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1fc5lbu4 said:

1. Jerry Rice
2a. Randy Moss
2b. Calvin Johnson
4. T.O
You forgot Lance Alworth, probably because you never saw him play. He's in there over either T.O. or Megatron in my book.

Oh, and what about that guy from Oklahoma that played for the South Alaska Seahawks. Myself, I put him number 2 because though he didn't have the physical gifts that Moss did, he never took a play off, let alone a season. And, he put up monster numbers with very average QBs throwing to him. And yes, I am biased.