Hawks worst free agent signings ever (1 submission per post)

SeaWolv

Reaction score
sdog1981":19gbdfr7 said:
Sidney Rice was pretty bad. Signed a 41 million dollar deal and played less than 10 games 4 out of the 5 seasons he was here.

Umm he played 33 games in 3 seasons and had some pretty amazing catches like this one:

7a9677148f19e79bdc8dfa662506b0d4.gif

Slick

Reaction score
Dan Saleaumua. Came over the Seahawks from the Chiefs and he did not like it here. Also really didn't do all that much but be really fat.

Rat

Reaction score
SeaWolv":1887p2j3 said:
sdog1981":1887p2j3 said:
Sidney Rice was pretty bad. Signed a 41 million dollar deal and played less than 10 games 4 out of the 5 seasons he was here.

Umm he played 33 games in 3 seasons and had some pretty amazing catches like this one:

Ar0btRHTKjyGaeTU-d-NEYDwdlI6vlbqNY_HkqX1Ow3r09gvAfvEhU_kE5_AQV7PeAazPQp5Rf4iXeD29iHuE8yjW-ukAOb1LviUCfN2hABYBZgggg
That one catch has fans remembering Rice as a lot better than he was. Fewer than 100 catches in three years, just 12 TDs, hurt frequently... not in contention for our worst ever, but he was undeniably a free agent bust.

Shocked to see he's still only 34 though.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How about Phillip Dorsett?Did nothing but we had to hear about how close
he was to playing all year.

PNW

Reaction score
Northhawk":3b9wyztp said:
Odomes then Harvin.
Was Harvin technically a free agent signing? I thought we traded for him?

getnasty

Reaction score
TJ Housmanzadah by far. I could go on but we only get one.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Julius jones was a disaster that I saw coming and pissed me off to no end...

Greg Olsen is another useless ass player we signed when we had other pressing needs

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Mike Wahle for me with some recency bias.

Thought he would return to form and replace Hutch.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Rat":1syxcsn8 said:
SeaWolv":1syxcsn8 said:
sdog1981":1syxcsn8 said:

Ar0btRHTKjyGaeTU-d-NEYDwdlI6vlbqNY_HkqX1Ow3r09gvAfvEhU_kE5_AQV7PeAazPQp5Rf4iXeD29iHuE8yjW-ukAOb1LviUCfN2hABYBZgggg
That one catch has fans remembering Rice as a lot better than he was. Fewer than 100 catches in three years, just 12 TDs, hurt frequently... not in contention for our worst ever, but he was undeniably a free agent bust.

Shocked to see he's still only 34 though.

Rice had 97 catches during the 2011 - 2013 seasons. For that same time period Doug Baldwin had 130 catches. I'm not saying he's RIng of Honor but he wasn't the biggest dud Seatte's ever had, as you stated, and really shouldn't be in this thread considering all the FA busts this franchise has had over the years.

More Rice:

riceko.gif

Giphy
Wilson rice
aJISuVPHIFGuG6SJn7QmVWeb-fYa0RZM7P2a9nPtYKyY9LNwCzzEgbI5jmhgtRUx44k4bC3_IhmZN9o_Ik3CtlMwE7jNVkQdUkx2Wzf5eg

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Matt Flynn was pretty bad. QBs are hard and the team was trying.

Nothing like a little Russell Wilson to paper over that one.

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
IDK if we were supposed to have high hopes on him but Mike Williams did not do a whole lot

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hard to choose just one but just for the abomination of the jersey number alone it's Jerry Rice for me.

To be fair it was Bob Whitsitt that created the awkward phone call where Largent, being the classy man that he is, reluctantly agreed to let Rice wear the number. However, Rice simply should have said thank you but out of respect I will wear a different number.

PS sdog, whatchoo smokin' on adding Sidney Rice to this convo? Dude was a flat out BALLER for us.

Rat

Reaction score
Aros":1fe91oov said:
Hard to choose just one but just for the abomination of the jersey number alone it's Jerry Rice for me.

To be fair it was Bob Whitsitt that created the awkward phone call where Largent, being the classy man that he is, reluctantly agreed to let Rice wear the number. However, Rice simply should have said thank you but out of respect I will wear a different number.

PS sdog, whatchoo smokin' on adding Sidney Rice to this convo? Dude was a flat out BALLER for us.

Jerry was a trade for a seventh rounder he never met the conditions of. It sounded like he would have been fine wearing a different number, as he did for the Broncos, but like you said, Whitsitt created an awkward situation for them.

I think you're overrating Sidney too, but I've already addressed that in this thread. A few peak moments prevent him from being an all-time bust, but we got nowhere near our moneys worth from him.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'll nominate Rickey Watters. He was expensive, got holes you could drive a truck through, and still fell down after 5 yards because he couldn't get up to speed before getting decleated by a stiff breeze.

I don't know how many times I saw him on the ground with acres of daylight in front of him pounding the ball on the ground in frustration. Every time I was like, "I know how you feel"...

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
bmorepunk":c4a34s4k said:
Matt Flynn was pretty bad. QBs are hard and the team was trying.

Nothing like a little Russell Wilson to paper over that one.

The contract yes was pretty bad but I could argue that without Flynn on board, teams would be wary of the Seahawks going QB in that draft, remember it was a big deal that we drafted Wilson at all because of the contract we gave Flynn, and it’s possible that one of Wagner or Wilson would not be Seahawks if let’s say Seahawks drafted Wilson in the 2nd or we got Wagner and teams jumped ahead of us in 3rd Round knowing we might take a QB.

Flynn might of been a bad signing but he was instrumental distraction in kind allowing the Seahawks to make that 2012 draft what it was.