Hawks worst free agent signings ever (1 submission per post)

sdog1981

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2c3l03a9 said:
Rat":2c3l03a9 said:
Good point: he was very injury prone. Bust.

Buckeyes :roll:

This is an odd hill to die on.

The dude was a bad signing 41 million for a player that played more than 10 games only 1 time, is bad money spent in free agency.

chris98251

Reaction score
sdog1981":2smm6ho9 said:
SeaWolv":2smm6ho9 said:
Rat":2smm6ho9 said:

The dude was a bad signing 41 million for a player that played more than 10 games only 1 time, is bad money spent in free agency.

He played though and contributed.

Odomes, he may have walked in the building and that's it. May Have.................

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":l5niemte said:
sdog1981":l5niemte said:
SeaWolv":l5niemte said:
Rat":l5niemte said:

Odomes, he may have walked in the building and that's it. May Have.................

The problem is that Odomes was such a spectacularly bad signing, it makes the discussion boring if we don't expand beyond the top guy. Same thing would happen if we did a worst draft pick in history thread. It's pretty much "OK, what the NEXT worst pick?".

Rat

Reaction score
sdog1981":d1eu1a6u said:
SeaWolv":d1eu1a6u said:
Rat":d1eu1a6u said:

With Rice, he had missed time in three of his four seasons in Minnesota too. I get being more forgiving to players who busted due to injury, but the red flags were there when we signed him. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Rat":1euu1b65 said:
chris98251":1euu1b65 said:
sdog1981":1euu1b65 said:
SeaWolv":1euu1b65 said:

The problem is that Odomes was such a spectacularly bad signing, it makes the discussion boring if we don't expand beyond the top guy. Same thing would happen if we did a worst draft pick in history thread. It's pretty much "OK, what the NEXT worst pick?".

Wait, are your referring to Curry or McDowell? Maybe we just skip to #3. Or is there 1a, 1b, and 1c?

Rat

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":36bb72qa said:
Wait, are your referring to Curry or McDowell? Maybe we just skip to #3. Or is there 1a, 1b, and 1c?

I meant Curry, given his draft status and pre new-CBA contract, but I guess you could make the argument that Malik hurt us more. We passed up Tre'Davious White, TJ Watt and Ryan Ramczyk in the trade down for him, while potentially selecting Mark Sanchez likely would have set us back more than Curry did.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone mentioned him but...

Ziggy Ansah

sucked and he signed for big $.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":5i34b7om said:
chris98251":5i34b7om said:
sdog1981":5i34b7om said:
SeaWolv":5i34b7om said:

No thats not how you play the game, the topic was worst pick, not worst pick that was not Nate, not pick that is going to be the player that is going to be argued over, not the pick that got paid the most and in different opinions didn't contribute on a level they thought was worth the salary.

You may as well discuss the draft picks, you get the same argument types.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
A player who I cannot remember the name of. He was signed for a losing playoff game, came on for one play where the ball went no where near him. He still got his $380000, nice work if you can get it.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Rat":11kavjkj said:

Sidney RIce is hardly next man up in the discussion of the all time worst FA signings in Seahawks history:

Nate Odomes
Matt Flynn
Eddie Lacy
Mike Williams
Ziggy Ansah
Robert Gallery
Luke Joeckel
Cary Williams
J'Marcus Webb
Blair Walsh

SeaWolv

Reaction score
sdog1981":1fk5bxxr said:

Said the guy who thought he played in Seattle for 5 seasons.

The only reason his career wasn't more successful in Seattle is because the NFL didn't adopt targeting rules until 2017. The concussion he got during the game winning catch in Chicago was clearly targeting.

The bottom line on RIce is that he contributed to the success of the team but because of things outside his control, his career was cut short. The same cannot be said for Matt Flynn, Eddie Lacy or Ziggy Ansah.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":26cvutdn said:
Rat":26cvutdn said:
chris98251":26cvutdn said:
sdog1981":26cvutdn said:

No thats not how you play the game, the topic was worst pick, not worst pick that was not Nate, not pick that is going to be the player that is going to be argued over, not the pick that got paid the most and in different opinions didn't contribute on a level they thought was worth the salary.

What do you think the "S" in "signings" means?

irfuben32

Reaction score
Nate Odoms blew out his knee playing basketball, freak injury you couldn't have anticipated.

My least favorite is Chad Brown...

hear me out

I love Chad Brown but I would have sooooo much rather spent the money on keeping Kevin Mawae and Michael McCrary that it hurts me to this day.

To me it's all about the trenches:

with Sinclair, Adams, Kennedy, and McCrary you could get consistent pressure with 4, which is the pinnacle, why would you change that

Adams and McCrary went on to be important parts of one of the greatest Defenses of all time

Mawae was a young stud center (who ended up in the HOF)

Can you imagine Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson and Kevin Mawae next to each other?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Rat":wx651k4k said:
Ad Hawk":wx651k4k said:

I meant Curry, given his draft status and pre new-CBA contract, but I guess you could make the argument that Malik hurt us more. We passed up Tre'Davious White, TJ Watt and Ryan Ramczyk in the trade down for him, while potentially selecting Mark Sanchez likely would have set us back more than Curry did.

If this thread is veering at all towards worst draft pick then RB Owen Gill has to be in the conversation. He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 85 draft 53rd overall. McDowell was drafted 35th. Curry was the #4 pick. By draft position alone then Curry would be it, except that he at least played in games, was considered by most a can't miss prospect and garnered a draft pick at the end of his Seahawks career. McDowell might have contributed had it not been for immaturity, lack of common sense or something else. In my book, Gill is the worst draft pick. Gill was released outright during training camp his rookie year!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I know it's already been mentioned but I gotta go with Blair Walsh.

He straight-up lost us at least 2 games, & I'll go so far as to say 3, which would have put us at 11-5 or 12-4. I mean how many times can you actually credit somebody with being totally responsible for 2 or 3 losses?
Minnesota fans were laughing when we signed him & us Seahawk fans were crying because we all knew they were right.

toffee

Reaction score
IF Jamal Adam ecouldn't be resigned due to injury, cap, performance, whatever, he could go down as one of our worst free agent signings.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":2jlfjjsu said:
IF Jamal Adam ecouldn't be resigned due to injury, cap, performance, whatever, he could go down as one of our worst free agent signings.
That was a trade.

I’m going to go with TO.