Historically, how bad is this defense?

tersal

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":anjxgabv said:
I can’t tell you why, but as bad as this years defense is, it seems better than last years. Not in yards but maybe in tenacity. I can’t put my finger on it, but I like this defense better. Hated the defense last year. Maybe the offense is making up for the defensive flaws and it’s skewing my perception.

I agree with you at least Quarterbacks have to move and scramble a little last year they just sat in the pocket or the first read was open in the middle of the field. Also last season they gave up 4.9 yards a carry this year far below that. They are surrendering more yards but the other teams seem to have to work harder to move the ball. Have weaker offenses coming up hopefully the yards surrendered will drop.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Rat":2fp4nehz said:
Remember our offense in '92? That, but on defense.

Very well. And largely, yes. But they've made a few clutch plays to sneak out a win by a fairy wasp's dick.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":j288hbcd said:
Sac":j288hbcd said:
Opposing teams are being forced to pass in order to keep up, on top of that we've played two league MVP quarterbacks so far, and an MVP hopeful.

I think people $h!t on the D aren't taking those things into account.

If that were true, wouldn't most of the all-time best passing seasons be accompanied by historically awful defensive seasons?

They havn't exactly been garbage time stuff the past two weeks. I'm not expecting complete lock down, but getting those passing numbers has been way too easy for opposing offenses. Hopefully itll tighten up soon.

The 2011 Packers hold the record for worst pass defense. That team finished 15-1 and Rodgers threw for 4600 yds and 45 TDS. His best season ever.

So yes good passing offenses can be associated with terrible pass defenses. And win.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3pu3v5xb said:
oldhawkfan":3pu3v5xb said:
I can’t tell you why, but as bad as this years defense is, it seems better than last years. Not in yards but maybe in tenacity. I can’t put my finger on it, but I like this defense better. Hated the defense last year. Maybe the offense is making up for the defensive flaws and it’s skewing my perception.

You'll hate them more next weeK when Fitzpatrick puts up 400+. Hopefully he couples it with a few picks though. Amazingly, the Hawks have seemed to have a harder time with back up level QBs than the great ones.

Seriously. Remember that time the Hawks made Matt Moore look like Unitas? Or when they made Shaun King look like Brett Favre? There's so many gross examples that make my ass itch.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We are the super bowl losers of 2014, Denver Broncos with a worse defense.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":3nzw82qp said:
Seanhawk":3nzw82qp said:
oldhawkfan":3nzw82qp said:

You'll hate them more next weeK when Fitzpatrick puts up 400+. Hopefully he couples it with a few picks though. Amazingly, the Hawks have seemed to have a harder time with back up level QBs than the great ones.

Seriously. Remember that time the Hawks made Matt Moore look like Unitas? Or when they made Shaun King look like Brett Favre? There's so many gross examples that make my ass itch.

Or Matt Schaub last year?

Rat

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2j1rjat4 said:
Rat":2j1rjat4 said:
Sac":2j1rjat4 said:
Opposing teams are being forced to pass in order to keep up, on top of that we've played two league MVP quarterbacks so far, and an MVP hopeful.

If that were true, wouldn't most of the all-time best passing seasons be accompanied by historically awful defensive seasons?

They havn't exactly been garbage time stuff the past two weeks. I'm not expecting complete lock down, but getting those passing numbers has been way too easy for opposing offenses. Hopefully itll tighten up soon.

The 2011 Packers hold the record for worst pass defense. That team finished 15-1 and Rodgers threw for 4600 yds and 45 TDS. His best season ever.

So yes good passing offenses can be associated with terrible pass defenses. And win.

Is it usually though? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything; I honestly don't know, but I'd be surprised if it was typically that way. In a cursory look, I see it happened for the 2013 Broncos and the 2000 Rams, but was very much not the case for most of the Peyton Colt years and the rest of the Warner Rams. Looks like it's all over the place.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Rat":2oqt045i said:
Sac":2oqt045i said:

There have been 21 times a QB has passed for 4900+ yards in a season. Only 4 times did their team finish in the top half of passing yards allowed.

I'll list the (Year) - (Player) - (Yards) - (Team Defensive yards allowed ranking for that year)

1984 - Dan Marino - 5084 yards - 14 out of 28
2008 - Drew Brees - 5069 yards - 23 out of 32
2011 - Drew Brees - 5476 yards - 30 out of 32
2011 - Tom Brady - 5235 yards - 31 out of 32
2011 - Matt Stafford - 5038 yards - 22 out of 32
2011 - Eli Manning - 4933 yards - 29 out of 32
2012 - Drew Brees - 5177 yards - 31 out of 32
2012 - Matt Stafford - 4967 yards - 14 out of 32
2012 - Tony Romo - 4903 yards - 19 out of 32
2013 - Payton Manning - 5477 yards - 27 out of 32
2013 - Drew Brees - 5162 yards - 2 out of 32
2014 - Drew Brees - 4952 yards - 25 out of 32
2014 - Ben Roethlisberger - 4952 yards - 27 out of 32
2016 - Drew Brees - 5208 yards - 32 out of 32
2016 - Matt Ryan - 4944 yards - 28 out of 32
2016 - Kirk Cousins - 4917 yards - 25 out of 32
2018 - Ben Roethlisberger - 5129 yards - 10 out of 32
2018 - Patrick Mahomes - 5097 yards - 31 out of 32
2018 - Matt Ryan - 4924 yards - 27 out of 32
2019 - Jameis Winston - 5109 yards - 30 out of 32
2019 - Dak Prescott - 4902 yards - 10 out of 32

I think looking at points scored vs passing yards allowed would be a better data set. Teams that are losing will pass more and in turn gain more yards.

If Seattle can just take out the huge chunk plays they will be ok with this offense.

Sac

Reaction score
Rat":239lxb26 said:
Mad Dog":239lxb26 said:
Rat":239lxb26 said:
Sac":239lxb26 said:

Is it usually though? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything; I honestly don't know, but I'd be surprised if it was typically that way. In a cursory look, I see it happened for the 2013 Broncos and the 2000 Rams, but was very much not the case for most of the Peyton Colt years and the rest of the Warner Rams. Looks like it's all over the place.

That's more a function of who they played rather than their defense though

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":1wvpdkld said:
Mad Dog":1wvpdkld said:
Rat":1wvpdkld said:
Sac":1wvpdkld said:

2018 Chiefs, 2013 Broncos, 2011 Packers were the three highest scoring teams this last decade and all had bottom ranked pass defences. Looking at older teams is pointless since so much has changed in modern football to protect QB's and hamper DB's.

Fade

Reaction score
Ken Norton had 2 major gaffes that made the score way closer than it actually was.

1) KJ Wright matched up 1-on-1 with a WR. -Roasted for a long TD. Not KJ's fault, bad coaching, KYP. Bevell level.

2) On another play Norton was playing man, but was showing zone to mask he was playing man, so he had Griffin way out of alignment. -Roasted for a long TD.

2 egregiously bad calls by Norton that put his players out of position, so of course they failed. Defending him at this point, would be like defending Tom Cable. You will look foolish if you do.

That mixed in with Tre Flowers out "Kelly Jenningsing", Kelly Jennings, these are the results you will get.

Pete needs to make a change mid-year if things like this continue to happen. He definitely needs to get a new DC when the year is out. Norton would not be a DC anywhere else in the league. He ranks at or near the bottom.

And finally I will continue to point this out. The Seahawks have ranked worse on defense year on year for 6 straight seasons. They are now well on pace for a 7th straight season. Not only that, they are now record breaking bad.

w00t

Reaction score
we'll see next week vs the dolphins. atl, pats and cowboys offense are no slouch.

Polaris

Reaction score
How bad is our defense this year? Well let me put it this way. I have taken to calling our secondary, "The Legion of Toast"

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It was a weird feeling that when Metcalf sacred the go-ahead TD, part of me would have preferred just a first down as I wanted to get the winning points with as little time as possible with no faith the D could get a stop

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":1i9onsrm said:
Ken Norton had 2 major gaffes that made the score way closer than it actually was.

1) KJ Wright matched up 1-on-1 with a WR. -Roasted for a long TD. Not KJ's fault, bad coaching, KYP. Bevell level.

2) On another play Norton was playing man, but was showing zone to mask he was playing man, so he had Griffin way out of alignment. -Roasted for a long TD.

2 egregiously bad calls by Norton that put his players out of position, so of course they failed. Defending him at this point, would be like defending Tom Cable. You will look foolish if you do.

That mixed in with Tre Flowers out "Kelly Jenningsing", Kelly Jennings, these are the results you will get.

Pete needs to make a change mid-year if things like this continue to happen. He definitely needs to get a new DC when the year is out. Norton would not be a DC anywhere else in the league. He ranks at or near the bottom.

And finally I will continue to point this out. The Seahawks have ranked worse on defense year on year for 6 straight seasons. They are now well on pace for a 7th straight season. Not only that, they are now record breaking bad.

If Norton was as bad as you say he is the Hawks wouldn't be 3-0... the fact that they are 3-0 is because the D stepped up and made plays when they needed too... Stats dont win football games heart and clutch plays do...

LTH

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2wclpovo said:
This season is an anomaly, historical data does not apply.

This season is creating new historical data that other teams/games/players will be judged by.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
The way I see it this is Pete's Defense Norton is just running his D maybe it's just not enough Talent look at Quinn he's doing terrible too. How about this no Leaders on the D nobody gets upset when the other team makes a play Griffin gets beat on two Plays TD boys wow and he's our best DB. Here's a question for the guru's when did Aldon Smith come back and why isn't he playing for the Hawks?. He was a beast for the 9er's a nightmare for the Hawks I can't imagine why we didn't go after him heck he has as many sacks today as Clowney had last year.

The bad thing about having a bad D is if Wilson has a few bad games then we lose who knows maybe they'll come around and surprise all of us and we'll look back at these post and try and delete them.

Fade

Reaction score
LTH":2qct8c7a said:
Fade":2qct8c7a said:

If Norton was as bad as you say he is the Hawks wouldn't be 3-0... the fact that they are 3-0 is because the D stepped up and made plays when they needed too... Stats dont win football games heart and clutch plays do...

LTH
Norton's track record as a DC is documented and speaks for itself. They're 3-0 because the QB is playing at an historic pace and the other teams can't keep up. Meanwhile the defense is currently 2nd worst all time, nearly worst all time through 3 games. People choose to die on the dumbest hills.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Polaris":ki4whs9h said:
How bad is our defense this year? Well let me put it this way. I have taken to calling our secondary, "The Legion of Toast"

I've been calling them the Legion Of Gloom