Is it me or was Shaun Alexander a wuss

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Checks himself out of huge games.
Technique for being tackled--take a knee and wait for contact.
All production comes from HOF line

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Way to make a thread bashing one of the greatest Seahawk players ever, in fact the only Seattle Seahawk to ever win MVP, 16 years after his retirement. Very strange.

Some of the criticism is warranted though. He benefited from an all time great LT/LG, and was known to be a finesse runner. Great vision, but a power back he was never.

renofox

Reaction score
Year, Rush Yards, TDs
2001, 1318, 14
2002, 1175, 16
2003, 1435, 14
2004, 1696, 16
2005, 1880, 27
2006, 896, 7: SA missed 7 games due to injury. Mo Morris started these plus took reps in the other 9 and finished the season with 604y, 0 TD. From this point on SA never really came back from his injuries, even though he played a few more injury-riddled seasons for the Seahawks and Redskins.

Career: 9,453 yds, 100 TDs (t8 all time w/ M Faulk), 4.2 avg

What a pussy scrub. It was all the O-line. Other backs didn't perform anywhere near his level behind the same line because reasons. /s

SA was a beast when he needed to be but, like Lockett, didn't make stupid decisions for a meaningless yard or two to risk his best ability - availability.

Shaun vs 'Shawn for best Seahawk RB?
Tough decision.

Jville

Reaction score

Alexander the Great

Terrific Local Interviews >>>

NFL Films >>>

Last edited:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I saw him at times do power runs when he really wanted to and he had
the power to do so.
The numbers speak for themselves.
Exactly! And there were other times when he chose to go out of bounds to avoid taking an unnecessary hit. I don't fault him one bit for that. Alexander the Great!

renofox

Reaction score
I saw him at times do power runs when he really wanted to and he had
the power to do so.
The numbers speak for themselves.
I forget the season, but I do remember a stretch where he was ~34/34 on 3rd and 1 conversions with a stretch of ~20 games in a row with a 15+ yard run.

One of the best ever who would have been a 1st ballot HOFer if his career wasn't cut short from injury.

Turtle

Reaction score
If only he'd played a bit softer, he'd surely still be with us on our current quest for another Super Bowl

Smellyman

Reaction score
Exactly! And there were other times when he chose to go out of bounds to avoid taking an unnecessary hit. I don't fault him one bit for that. Alexander the Great!
I have 0 issues with it too. Availability is just so huge. Lynch was a unicorn who ran hard and rarely got hurt, but RBs go down all the time. Seahawks have gone through many. Chris Carson could have benefited from getting out of bounds a bit more. RBs do no good when in the training room.

Sometimes the extra yard is definitely worth it. Most of the time it is not.

keasley45

Reaction score
Even Holmgren was critical of his running style and lack of will when it came to being physical.

But holmgren let A Green walk, so Alexander was the beneficiary of arguably the best o-line of the era for a period.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Some of the criticism is warranted though. He benefited from an all time great LT/LG, and was known to be a finesse runner. Great vision, but a power back he was never.
And it wasn't just the left side of the OL. Robbie Tobeck was an excellent center, as was the RG Gray (can't remember his first name), plus Mack Strong was a helluva blocking fullback. It was demonstrated by SA's immediate and dramatic drop off in production once Hutch left and Tobeck retired.

It is a legitimate criticism to say that SA was a 'soft' runner, but calling him a "wuss" is way over the top.