Is it me or was Shaun Alexander a wuss

Aircrew

Reaction score
I agree . He was a good player , maybe even great at times . He did benefit from a generationally great offensive line that many could've had success from. He would go down like a folding lawn chair when he had 3-5 more yards in front of him . He did this for a season then said Holmgren "stabbed him in the back" when he lost the rushing title by a few yards.

I don't think I'd call him a wuss but he definitely wasn't a hard nose type .
Well said, sums up my take on SA as well. I will say though he deserved to be inducted into the ROH, I have no issue with that, but it still doesn't change my opinion of him when he played here.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Well said, sums up my take on SA as well. I will say though he deserved to be inducted into the ROH, I have no issue with that, but it still doesn't change my opinion of him when he played here.
Agreed brother.

When he got down , HE GOT DOWN .
He was pretty consistent too for about 5 seasons (maybe more ). So I can see where some on .NET have real love for him.

He was kind of quirky at times but a better than average guy . Wasn't a jag.
But could you imagine #24 being behind Jones and Hutchinson, Toebeck?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Agreed brother.

When he got down , HE GOT DOWN .
He was pretty consistent too for about 5 seasons (maybe more ). So I can see where some on .NET have real love for him.

He was kind of quirky at times but a better than average guy . Wasn't a jag.
But could you imagine #24 being behind Jones and Hutchinson, Toebeck?
The RG in that OL, Chris Gray, was no slouch, either. That was by far our best offensive line in franchise history. No other group comes even remotely close. Then toss in Mack Strong as a blocking fullback, again our best blocking fullback in Seahawks history.

sutz

Reaction score
The RG in that OL, Chris Gray, was no slouch, either. That was by far our best offensive line in franchise history. No other group comes even remotely close. Then toss in Mack Strong as a blocking fullback, again our best blocking fullback in Seahawks history.
OT, but I look back on those days and :LOL: about how much hate netters had for Chris Gray, complaining about how Holmgren only kept playing him because he was "one of his favorite guys" or some such shit. According to our "experts" he was crap, but the guy just kept making the team, though. 🤷‍♂️

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Nope, he was just PROLIFIC, and "Mr. Automatic" in the Red Zone....NOT ALL his hard runs were to the LEFT, and as far as ABILITY?, Avail-Ability is #1, ESPECIALLY when it comes to playing the RB position.
AIN'T taking anything away from Marshawn, because he was something very special, But I ALSO ain't taking anything away from SEHAWKS Player-> Saun Alexander either...The fall-off of Alexander when Hutchinson crapped on the Seahawks organization and left for the Vikings, he did have an injury that absolutely does account for his drop-off in productivity.
Way too much ANYMOSITY for Sean Alexander, here on .NET,I mean after all>> he was one of OUR Seahawks players.
We don't need to dump on one Seahawk to tout another, they were BOTH special players in their own way.
No Regrets from this Seahawks fan.

Scutter has the best post in this thread. He's 1000% correct. Why the hate for one of the greatest Seahawks ever? I just don't understand it. Comparing Alexander to Lynch is stupid because they were totally different runners. People like to say stuff like imagine Lynch behind Alexanders line and so forth, but it's not as cut and clear as that. Alexander was a better open field runner for sure while Lynch thrived on yards after contact. Here's an example that's in the same wheel house. Thomas Rawls started 7 games in 2015 when Lynch was out and he rushed for over 800 yards. What if he started every game? What kind of numbers could he have put up then? Was Rawls as good as Lynch? The numbers indicate he might have been. See how the argument gets construed?

Let's just appreciate the players for who they were and what they accomplished. Alexander was great. Lynch was great. Watters was great. Warner was great. Where's the problem here?

JPatera76

Reaction score
I will always love SA, I have my most fondest "grandfather and grandson" memory involving Holmgren and SA out at Cheney. It was after TC the field was open for kids and parents to go get autographs. My Grandfather went over and talked to Holmgren and SA was standing next to him. I was off in my lala land of meeting these giants of humans and getting autographs. Its starting to empty out not a lot of people. My grandfather calls me over apparently the topic of me and my sports (Track and Football, I was in middle school at the time) had come up (go figure, proud grandpa). Well Holmgren didnt need too act interested or care but, he did. He talked to me told me to keep doing it, not give up etc (definitely cliche coach talk in there) but it stuck with me. Then Holmgren called over SA and gave him a quick brief run down of what my grandfather said, and SA spent around 5-10mins with me giving me pointers for track (my starting blocks having my show him how I did them etc etc) and talking about track and football. Grabbed a football from the equipment dude and signed it with a real thoughtful personal message on it.

Overall it was and is a memory that I will hold dear to me. Especially since it, too was a memory that my grandfather before he passed away 3 yrs ago recalled.. and that man before we passed barely remembered anything, but you ask him seahawks stuff that was one memory he'd bring up. I still have those autographs. 2 footballs, Holmgren and company on one, and SA on a seperate one with his message. I passed them down to my son who's in sports now.

SA and Holmgren contrary to what people think or feel were/ARE great.

BASF

Reaction score
OT, but I look back on those days and :LOL: about how much hate netters had for Chris Gray, complaining about how Holmgren only kept playing him because he was "one of his favorite guys" or some such shit. According to our "experts" he was crap, but the guy just kept making the team, though. 🤷‍♂️
I kept pointing out that he was always stuck helping our revolving door at right tackle. It was no coincidence that once we brought in a young competent RT in Locklear our offense went dominant. RT had been a bunch of washed up players and failed experiments that Gray had to shade to help.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Scutter has the best post in this thread. He's 1000% correct. Why the hate for one of the greatest Seahawks ever? I just don't understand it. Comparing Alexander to Lynch is stupid because they were totally different runners. People like to say stuff like imagine Lynch behind Alexanders line and so forth, but it's not as cut and clear as that. Alexander was a better open field runner for sure while Lynch thrived on yards after contact. Here's an example that's in the same wheel house. Thomas Rawls started 7 games in 2015 when Lynch was out and he rushed for over 800 yards. What if he started every game? What kind of numbers could he have put up then? Was Rawls as good as Lynch? The numbers indicate he might have been. See how the argument gets construed?

Let's just appreciate the players for who they were and what they accomplished. Alexander was great. Lynch was great. Watters was great. Warner was great. Where's the problem here?

Ok .

I hate posts that start with " Let's just... Let's not ... Let's wait.."

Glad that's off my chest. Nothing worse than someone trying to push their opinion as a little more virtuous than someone else's.

The title of the post said what it's about.
Anyone clicking should have an idea of what will be said . Instead , people pile on others for not being Alexander F -boys.

People can hate on him or call him a wuss if they want right? I actually said I didn't think he was a wuss but that didn't suffice.

He was prolific!!

I always thought he was a good player but soft for a RB.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I guess I didn't communicate my 💕 love profusely enough for Shaun Alexander.

I did like him but not as much as others on here. I don't think he'd have any more success than the other RBs if he were
on todays team.

The OP question was whether people thought he was a wuss. I said I didn't think he was , I just didn't think he was like Larry Czonka or even #24.

How did you get that as " dumping on him"?
Sorry, there was nothing against you personally, it's just the idea that ANY Seahawks fans >above you< would come down on the side of calling him a "WUSS" because he wouldn't throw his body to the dogs for an extra yard or two.
This isn't the first (and probably won't be the last) thread that's diss'n on Sean Alexander=Nonsense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yep. He was a lot like Joe Nash in that regard.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ok .

I hate posts that start with " Let's just... Let's not ... Let's wait.."

Glad that's off my chest. Nothing worse than someone trying to push their opinion as a little more virtuous than someone else's.

The title of the post said what it's about.
Anyone clicking should have an idea of what will be said . Instead , people pile on others for not being Alexander F -boys.

People can hate on him or call him a wuss if they want right? I actually said I didn't think he was a wuss but that didn't suffice.

He was prolific!!

I always thought he was a good player but soft for a RB.

Nobody was pointing you out specifically. I just don't understand the dislike for an all time Seahawk great. It's the same as a fan disliking Steve Largent because he didn't run fast enough or something silly like that. It's weird to me.

Soft running back or whatever people want to classify him as,,,,,he was still an enormous talent and would have succeeded regardless of what team he played for. He was just that good.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Mack Strong, the best blocking fullback in Seahawks history? Hmm...maybe. He was a terrific blocker. But my favorite was John L Williams who played for the Hawks from 1986 to 1993. I think John L. was a better all-round fullback, particularly as a receiver. Was he a better blocking fullback than Mack Strong? I'm not sure. I think both were outstanding.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mack Strong, the best blocking fullback in Seahawks history? Hmm...maybe. He was a terrific blocker. But my favorite was John L Williams who played for the Hawks from 1986 to 1993. I think John L. was a better all-round fullback, particularly as a receiver. Was he a better blocking fullback than Mack Strong? I'm not sure. I think both were outstanding.
I, too, thought of John L., and he might have been a better receiving fullback which is why I qualified my statement as best blocking fullback. But for a lead blocker, I have to go with Mack. But I agree with you, both were outstanding.