Is it me or was Shaun Alexander a wuss

themunn

Reaction score
Alexander played 100 STRAIGHT games at RB for us before his injury.

Between 2001 and 2005 he had 1666 carries, good for an average of 333 every year, or nearly 21 carries per game for 5 straight 16 game years.

KW3 has missed 4 games in 2 seasons already, even still for 15 carries a game in those he's played.

Even Lynch who had a pretty good 5 year spell for us from the moment he joined in 2010-2014 before getting injured at start of 2015, missed only one game, had 1346 carries over that period. In effect we extracted a full extra season's worth of running from Alexander over the same time period vs Lynch (additional 320 carries). Add 179 catches to that, you get nearly 370 touches per season for 5 years straight.

People out there saying Christian McCaffrey is going to get injured because of overuse - Alexander did that 5 years straight.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This is a debate that we have every year or so. I'll just say that I prefer Marshawn's running style over Shaun's.

Back in the day, I remember starting to dislike Shaun, and I think it's only because we had signed him to a big contract and then he was never as productive again. He did have a foot injury early in 2006, though, and we can debate about the small sample size of games he played that year before the injury.

Nevertheless, looking back at what Shaun did from 2001 - 2005, he was a damn good running back. Averaged 4.5 YPC during that span, which back then was more impressive than it is today.

I'm not going to rag on him anymore.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
And it wasn't just the left side of the OL. Robbie Tobeck was an excellent center, as was the RG Gray (can't remember his first name), plus Mack Strong was a helluva blocking fullback. It was demonstrated by SA's immediate and dramatic drop off in production once Hutch left and Tobeck retired.

It is a legitimate criticism to say that SA was a 'soft' runner, but calling him a "wuss" is way over the top.
Correct. Not a wuss and only a soft runner by choice. If the end zone was involved he was every bit as physical as Lynch. Selfish is actually the closest word I can think of, but that isn't quite right either. Certainly can be argued he was the most gifted back we have ever had.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Shaun was a monster even back in his Alabama days. No he wasn't a power runner but so what. Guy put up Madden numbers for years. If people want to attribute his success purely to the Oline, Emmitt Smith says "Hold my beer".

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Correct. Not a wuss and only a soft runner by choice. If the end zone was involved he was every bit as physical as Lynch. Selfish is actually the closest word I can think of, but that isn't quite right either. Certainly can be argued he was the most gifted back we have ever had.
Perhaps the word you are looking for is calculating. With the stats he put up and with his stretch of durability, maybe calculating should be added to his repertoire of skills along with vision, speed, cut ability and so on. A player can’t help the team on the field if they are injured. A RB can get a fairly decent idea of if they are going to be able to break one, gain a few yards or have to absorb a huge potentially injuring hit. That’s partly where vision comes into play. Backs with great vision can see a hole opening before it’s completely there. Perhaps his vision allowed him to also be somewhat calculating in his ability to remain healthy. Which he did for a good stretch of time. SA is easily one of the best to ever play for the Seahawks. A wuss? Tell that to his face. Or anyone who has played in the NFL. What a stupid ass thread. Yet here I am responding.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Perhaps the word you are looking for is calculating. With the stats he put up and with his stretch of durability, maybe calculating should be added to his repertoire of skills along with vision, speed, cut ability and so on. A player can’t help the team on the field if they are injured. A RB can get a fairly decent idea of if they are going to be able to break one, gain a few yards or have to absorb a huge potentially injuring hit. That’s partly where vision comes into play. Backs with great vision can see a hole opening before it’s completely there. Perhaps his vision allowed him to also be somewhat calculating in his ability to remain healthy. Which he did for a good stretch of time. SA is easily one of the best to ever play for the Seahawks. A wuss? Tell that to his face. Or anyone who has played in the NFL. What a stupid ass thread. Yet here I am responding.
Calculating was definitely a part of it. But the calculation was most definitely far more heavily weighted on himself than the team needs.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Didn’t his availability help the team more than an extra yard here or there?
Maybe at times. But now you are playing the what if game. No telling. Hell, we may have lost a game that we won if he had picked up a tough first down that he went down to easily on. That isn't really the point that is being made. We only know what we know.

renofox

Reaction score
Maybe at times. But now you are playing the what if game. No telling. Hell, we may have lost a game that we won if he had picked up a tough first down that he went down to easily on. That isn't really the point that is being made. We only know what we know.
That's the point. Just like Lockett, 99% of the time he wouldn't go down easy if a 1st down was on the line.

They both miscalculated here or there, but it was far from a common occurrence.

RiverDog

Reaction score
And as I recall, prior to the 2006 season, most fans were very complimentary of his 'soft' running style, saying that it would prolong his career. But once his blocking disappeared, he became a "wuss" to some.

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
This post is silly. What's the so-what? Are you arguing that the 'Hawks would have been better if Shaun was lowering shoulders and likely spending stretches on IR?

Also, while not a bruiser, Shaun had a knack for rolling his shoulders and falling forward. He picked up a lot of tough yards, and more key first downs than he gets credit for.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Year, Rush Yards, TDs
2001, 1318, 14
2002, 1175, 16
2003, 1435, 14
2004, 1696, 16
2005, 1880, 27
2006, 896, 7: SA missed 7 games due to injury. Mo Morris started these plus took reps in the other 9 and finished the season with 604y, 0 TD. From this point on SA never really came back from his injuries, even though he played a few more injury-riddled seasons for the Seahawks and Redskins.

Career: 9,453 yds, 100 TDs (t8 all time w/ M Faulk), 4.2 avg

What a pussy scrub. It was all the O-line. Other backs didn't perform anywhere near his level behind the same line because reasons. /s

SA was a beast when he needed to be but, like Lockett, didn't make stupid decisions for a meaningless yard or two to risk his best ability - availability.

Shaun vs 'Shawn for best Seahawk RB?
Tough decision.
Alexander was never the type of RB who ran over people. However, from 2001 through 2005 he was one of the best RBs in the league. Yes, the Hawks had an all-time great OL with a HOF left side, but Alexander still deserves credit for his production. In the first game of 2006 (against the Lions) Alexander was hurt on a horse collar tackle by DT Shaun Rogers. He never fully recovered and was out of football after the Redskins released him in 2008. Shaun Alexander is an all-time great Seahawk who should be in the Hawks Ring of Honor.

getnasty

Reaction score
SA played behind the best OL in Seahawks and its not close. He had great vision but was soft as they come. Ricky Watters would have ran for 2000 yards behind that line.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander is the only RB in NFL history with 100 or more rushing TD's who isn't in the hall of fame.. Not sure what to make of that but there it is. Every other RB with 100 or more is in the Hall. Adrian Peterson is obviously a first ballot but he's not eligible yet.

And no. He was not a wuss. He had an exceptional career and took advantage of a great offensive line. I'm not going to bash the man for that.