Is JS up for this ?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The draft sans Pete will be very interesting this year. Last two years they drafted BPA, but it didn't seem like the players drafted fit any particular vision or team identity...
BPA makes sense when you have a lot of glaring holes on your roster, which I can't say is not the case with the Hawks. Once a team starts getting into the playoffs phase, I don't think BPA makes sense as a solo strategy.

renofox

Reaction score
Its not john's chice, he is the GM... Pete is still the president of operation and has a say in who the next HC will be. John has nothing to do with hiring of the new HC, other then if he will be happy to work with him.
PC has never been President. He was hired as Executive VP. After SB48, John was promoted to Executive VP and PC was given the title Executive VP of Football Operations. According to executive protocol, this means JS outranked PC, but neither had authority over the other - they both reported to the President (Chuck Arnold) who reported to the Board.

PC no longer holds the Executive VP of Football Operations title. His current title of Advisor is most likely at-large, meaning he has no actual authority.

renofox

Reaction score
I just hope fans give him a season or two to get 'er done. I think we have a lot of good young talent on our team, so the new coach is not walking into a dumpster fire IMO. Of course the new coach is gonna want to make some changes, but I hope its not just burn it down and start from ground zero.
Overall, the Seahawks are in great shape compared to most other teams, but the cap situation is a lot worse than most believe. It's worse than last year when they could only afford on mid-top FA (Jones) and a few mid- to mid-low range FAs (Bobby, Love, Bush, Reed, Edwards, Lock).

The needs are greater this year and the draft and cap assets are lower. JS is going to have to show mastery for the 2024 team to have as much talent as the 2023 team. He also should start digging out of the cap hole that has grown consistently deeper over the past 5 years.

We can look forward to some coverage about it really soon.

NoGain

Reaction score
PC has never been President. He was hired as Executive VP. After SB48, John was promoted to Executive VP and PC was given the title Executive VP of Football Operations. According to executive protocol, this means JS outranked PC, but neither had authority over the other - they both reported to the President (Chuck Arnold) who reported to the Board.

PC no longer holds the Executive VP of Football Operations title. His current title of Advisor is most likely at-large, meaning he has no actual authority.
It sure *seemed* like JS deferred to PC concerning key personnel moves, at least before the last two drafts. I have nothing to base this on, but I always felt that the JA trade, for instance, was a little bit of a bite-the-tongue move for JS, a move I felt he wouldn't have made on his own. This is conjecture on my part. There were other moves that sure looked to me like the heavy hand of PC was in play, but again, just conjecture.

I think PC/JS had great respect for each other, genuinely liked each other. Just my guess from what I've seen. I have at times wondered, however, if JS at times felt a little encumbered by PC's presence and influence upon decisions being made. Just another guess, though.

toffee

Reaction score
I am hoping this will not be a parallel:

Wilson dreamed of being coached by Payton and out of of Pete's antiquated system.
12s dreamed of being run by Schneider and out of Pete's personnelle messing around.

renofox

Reaction score
It sure *seemed* like JS deferred to PC concerning key personnel moves, at least before the last two drafts. I have nothing to base this on, but I always felt that the JA trade, for instance, was a little bit of a bite-the-tongue move for JS, a move I felt he wouldn't have made on his own. This is conjecture on my part. There were other moves that sure looked to me like the heavy hand of PC was in play, but again, just conjecture.

I think PC/JS had great respect for each other, genuinely liked each other. Just my guess from what I've seen. I have at times wondered, however, if JS at times felt a little encumbered by PC's presence and influence upon decisions being made. Just another guess, though.
I think you're right. Official titles and authorities don't always paint the real picture. I see PC as much more extroverted with a very strong will and it is plausible that John deferred to PC based on character and expertise (which players he really, really needed. "I just gotta have this guy to make the defense work", etc.).

At least that's what I'm hoping. Either that or JS has an MO change that keeps him from from making so many bad big deals.

He has a chance, finally, to show if he really is one of the top GMs in the NFL. I believe and hope that he proves himself #1.

Jac

Reaction score
I'm interested in his approach to drafting QB's. I think he's going to finally start drafting QB's on a much more regular basis, but until we actual see that it's just my speculation.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Replacing a great HC, when they have plateaued, is tough. Odds are against you.

The expectation should be things won't be as good or as easy from here on. It's likely the next coach goes below .500, something that normally doesn't happen here.
A good example is what happened to the Bills after they got rid of Levy. They brought in the former DC (Wade Phillips) and tried to rebuild the old dynasty.
It rarely works like that. Then they cycled through some bad coaches, and finally became good again.

Same thing with George Karl. We got rid of him because we were tired of underperforming in the playoffs. The next guy fixed that by just not getting to the playoffs nearly as much.
As a Husky, getting rid of Romar (because he was underperforming given all the great talent he had) made sense. But we stopped underperforming because of our talent by just not getting much talent anymore. Now few are disappointed by UW basketball losses, because few expect them to win much anyway.

If you have someone that basically builds an era for a franchise, you usually don't replace them and reload. (I can only think of that working once, when SF got rid of their SB coach Walsh and Seifert became a SB coach as well. You COULD argue that it worked for the Steelers too...but probably not)
What you do is reset expectations, and spin the wheel a few times until you land on another winner. That can happen quickly (49ers) or take a long time (Bills), or even take decades (Browns, Bears, & Skins/Commanders).

It would be a tall ask for JS to somehow beat the math, the trend, and what is probably the reality. But you never know.

knownone

Reaction score
We'll see. I don't buy the narrative that Pete was holding JS back. There's no concrete evidence that was true. So we'll have to wait and see what another coach can do with this roster.

BigMeach

Reaction score
We will find out either way, hold on to your butts.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm in the minority here. I don't hold Schneider in nearly as high regard as some of you guys. I think he's an average at best GM. Hope he proves me wrong, but I honestly feel like he's part of the problem

Jac

Reaction score
I'm in the minority here. I don't hold Schneider in nearly as high regard as some of you guys. I think he's an average at best GM. Hope he proves me wrong, but I honestly feel like he's part of the problem
He needs to pick it up. The last two drafts have obviously been very solid, but there was a pretty long relative dry stretch before that. Virtually all of the big trades have been awful value, most of the free agent acquisitions are ho hum, and the salary cap is currently not in great shape. It's obviously unclear how fault is attributable between he and Carroll for the above...but he needs to treat this coaching reset as a personal reset as well. I used to be 100% in his corner, but the trades have been getting to me (RW notwithstanding which obviously helped with the last two drafts).

Palmegranite

Reaction score
and was very impressed by Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes from multiple accounts. He has the ability to find and identify talent at the most critical spot and to find diamonds in the rough at others.
This is important, but one small facet of a GM's job. How about tact and interpersonal relations? And as illustrated above, he created a huge rift within the team when this leaked out and was the beginning of the end of this era.

If my boss started looking for my replacement, and knowing I'm the linchpin of my organization, my regard for them on a scale of 1-10 would be 1.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
A good example is what happened to the Bills after they got rid of Levy. They brought in the former DC (Wade Phillips) and tried to rebuild the old dynasty.
It rarely works like that. Then they cycled through some bad coaches, and finally became good again.
This is a really good example with lots of parallels to the Seahawks.
The difference. Pete had a decision over QB. Spent lots of money and future on free agent. Russell Wilson blows him out of the competition, obvious to everyone. Pete swallows pride on Matt Flynn investment and goes with better QB, RW. Wins Superbowl.
Wade Phillips was a pretty good coach but Wade has a decision. High draft pick QB vs free agent from the CFL. Flutie blows Rob Johnson out of the competition at every opportunity.
Wade doubles down on tall guy with headband, aided by dementia-suffering owner.
Bills suck, and Wade gets fired. He simply had to hand the keys on offense to Flutie....Dum-dum.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Without PC as his ' boss ' , mentor and safety net ; can Schneider pull this off by himself ; or will PC still be pulling the strings from his new ' advisory ' position from the wings ? I'm not sure he's ever made an important decision without PC , since he's been with the Hawks .
I'm inclined to give JS the benefit of the doubt.

Here's my logic:
Pete never had the background to be the GM type, so all the small positive moves done to free up cap and slightly improve our roster were clearly done by Schneider.
Trading back to add picks to fill out our roster better and allow some more chances at HRs sounds similar to the small moves that Schneider does, so it seems as though trading back for more picks is also a Schneider thing.
The poor 1st round picks or refusal to trade back when we don't have an obvious 1st round talent atop our board seems to fly in the face of what Schneider does, so there's a good chance Pete was behind those.
The Harvin and Adams trades also seem more like Pete because it's out of character for what Schneider normally does.

I won't pretend JS is a saint who can do no wrong, but I really believe the Hawks would have had more success and be better today if Pete was simply the coach and Schneider was the head of the front office.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
This is important, but one small facet of a GM's job. How about tact and interpersonal relations? And as illustrated above, he created a huge rift within the team when this leaked out and was the beginning of the end of this era.

If my boss started looking for my replacement, and knowing I'm the linchpin of my organization, my regard for them on a scale of 1-10 would be 1.
It only created a rift with Russell Wilson as he didn't understand the process of how John comes from the Green Bay brain trust of always looking for QBs. Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, Aaron Rodgers, and others all started their career with the Packers despite Brett Favre being the guy. John wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't looking and creating competition. The true rift actually occurred after the certain game with the Patriots but despite that multiple times many players returned for return stints. Luke Willson, Bobby Wagner, Jarran Reed, Tarvaris Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, and Bruce Irvin to name a handful. A lot of that was Pete but it can't be discredited the partnership created by him and John to create a culture where players want to come back. John knows what he's doing. He's not perfect but no GM ever is.

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Seems like people are blaming PC for all the dumbass moves and giving JS credit for anything good that has happened. I don’t believe we have enough information to judge.

so let’s play “who made the decision?”

A lost 2nd rounder in this draft for a one year rental or a maxish level contract?
No QB in last draft?
Genos contract #s?
RW trade? (Good)
JA trade and contract? (Bad)
etc etc