Is Wilson a Hall of Fame QB?

5thgen

Reaction score

His legacy is not looking good.

Video summary: Hall of Fame QB is supposed to elevate a team regardless of coaching. He ain't no Brady, Manning, or Maholmes.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Well, one way to look at it is that we didn't really need Wilson to win Super Bowl 48 that day. One of the most suffocating defenses in the history of the NFL won that game. We could have won with Trent Dilfer as our QB that day. (E.g. Trent Dilfer won Super Bowl 35 with the Ravens thanks to their suffocating defense. Similar type of situation.)

Dilfer, Super Bowl 35: 12 of 25 for 153 yards and 1 touchdown (0 ints).

Wilson, Super Bowl 48: 18 of 25 for 206 yards and 2 touchdowns (0 ints).

Rat

Reaction score
Eh, I'm enjoying the Russ schadenfreude as much as anyone, but for now he probably still is. He checks all the boxes. He's a nine-time Pro Bowler with a ring and gaudy stats aside from this season. His 300 passing TDs currently is tied with John Elway for 13th all time, he's fourth all-time in passer rating, he a number of those "first QB to XXXX stats". Killing his chances to be a first-ballot guy if he doesnt get his mojo back. I don't think he's out unless he completely washes out of the league.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Eh, I'm enjoying the Russ schadenfreude as much as anyone, but for now he probably still is.
I don't think so. He's failing so miserably in Denver right now that some people are reevaluating his time in Seattle to see how much of his success was him, and how much was the people around him making him look good. I don't think he gets in unless he rehabs his career in Denver and really lights it up for a few more years before retiring.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
.. some people are reevaluating his time in Seattle to see how much of his success was him, and how much was the people around him making him look good.
Is this the "research" you've been doing over on your Bronco forums?

chrispy

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I don't think there are many 10 yr career HOF QBs, at least not modern era. I don't see how he makes it. His team won a SB but the D actually won the game. No SB MVP. No League MVP which shows that no one (that votes) thinks he's more valuable than the rest of the team. ...and that's before the Denver debacle.

Plus, regardless of actual responsibility, he'll always be remembered for throwing an INT and losing the second SB. His time in Denver is the same thing as that game-losing play on the 1. One can make a case that it's not all on him, but it'll cost him votes. ...and his stats are fringe already.

He'll have to have a Geno-esque resurgence for the NFL to take him seriously again. He's currently seen as a game-manager that happened to end up with a coach that got the most out of him but couldn't win on his own. He's disliked in his locker room and a laughing stock in his local market. He's hamstrung his team with his contract, his lack of accountability, lack of focus and there's no end in sight.

Frankly, he's more likely to get a Grammy duet-ing with his wife than into the NFL HOF. The worst part, to me, is that I think he'd be fine with that if it drive his social media platform and the fame he covets so much more than winning football games.

toffee

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I don't think there are many 10 yr career HOF QBs, at least not modern era. I don't see how he makes it. His team won a SB but the D actually won the game. No SB MVP. No League MVP which shows that no one (that votes) thinks he's more valuable than the rest of the team. ...and that's before the Denver debacle.

Plus, regardless of actual responsibility, he'll always be remembered for throwing an INT and losing the second SB. His time in Denver is the same thing as that game-losing play on the 1. One can make a case that it's not all on him, but it'll cost him votes. ...and his stats are fringe already.

He'll have to have a Geno-esque resurgence for the NFL to take him seriously again. He's currently seen as a game-manager that happened to end up with a coach that got the most out of him but couldn't win on his own. He's disliked in his locker room and a laughing stock in his local market. He's hamstrung his team with his contract, his lack of accountability, lack of focus and there's no end in sight.

Frankly, he's more likely to get a Grammy duet-ing with his wife than into the NFL HOF. The worst part, to me, is that I think he'd be fine with that if it drive his social media platform and the fame he covets so much more than winning football games.
Has his wife won Grammys.?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score

His legacy is not looking good.

Video summary: Hall of Fame QB is supposed to elevate a team regardless of coaching. He ain't no Brady, Manning, or Maholmes.

bart scott: "how great of a coach is pete carroll? he's making miracles w/ geno smith"

bingo.

BASF

Reaction score
I had been calling Russ a future Hall of Famer from the moment we drafted him. Having watched him at NC State and Wisconsin, the talent and ability was obvious. He was in the facility early working on improve his craft. It wasn't until the 2018 playoff game that my opinion started to change. The game plan in that game was horrible and the way Wilson responded to it was obviously a problem. In 2019 Wilson seemed less interested in how the team was playing. He seemed to be more interested in how he was playing. His utter failure in the first half of the Packers playoff game when we could not run with an off the retirement pile Lynch was telling. It wasn't until we went to a more balanced attack that we finally scored a touchdown, but by then it was already too late. I would only call him a future HoF a few times after that.

The Let Russ Cook bs started because his media team manipulated the marks into thinking he was the solution while the stats and drive charts showed that we were scoring with a balanced attack and not pass heavy as he wanted to portray. It was pretty funny watching the Wilson marks crowing as we defeated poor pass defense after poor pass defense early in 2020. As we started to play good defenses, his turnovers increased and we started losing. The marks blamed everyone but him as he threw more and more to increase his stats instead of taking what was there. Him being given free reign was the death knell of his hall of fame consideration. It was obvious that he had not worked on his craft as much as he should have as he continued to throw his routes at the expense of where the ball was supposed to go. His abject failure against the Rams in the playoffs simply proved that the Russ who had been figured out by the league and could not figure out how to adapt was what was left. The changing of the media narrative by Wilson himself when he blamed getting hit on his line who had provided enough time for a QB that doesn't hold on to the ball too long just meant that he did not recognize his own faults. That is not a hall of fame player.

With the media and marks falling for the manipulation, the 2021 season was interesting as Wilson was obviously not running the offense and the coaches were getting more and more frustrated. That is not a hall of fame player.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Easily. He has a decade of being one of the top 3-4 guys of his era. His stats over that period and his 2 SB trips are enough. This year has been a wreck and if he's truly done it hurts his chances for sure but I still think he gets in. I get that its fun to pile on him right now but being objective his first 10 years in there are only a handful of guys who have his resume after ten years. It's a small group

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Easily. He has a decade of being one of the top 3-4 guys of his era. His stats over that period and his 2 SB trips are enough. This year has been a wreck and if he's truly done it hurts his chances for sure but I still think he gets in. I get that its fun to pile on him right now but being objective his first 10 years in there are only a handful of guys who have his resume after ten years. It's a small group

Idk about easily if Wilson continues this trajectory of being washed up and out of the league in 3-4 years.

Yes, if he can somehow rebound and be a starter in the league his stats should be good enough to get into the Hall.

But right now? He's only #23 in passing yards behind guys like Vinnie Testaverde, Kerry Collins and Drew Bledsoe, and #13 in TD's. So if Russ doesn't rebound and continues to stink up the league until he's gone? Then idk, he's fringe.

Ozzy

Reaction score
that's fair I just think his first ten years were so good that he was a lock. If he has 7-8 years of playing like he is now? Yeah he hurts his case a ton. I still think he rebounds a little and that Denver has a lot of issues going on that aren't all his fault. Russ is broken, the offensive staff is terrible, they lead the league in injuries etc. It's rumored Sean Payton may go there. It wouldn't shock me if he got Russ right. I know I'm in the minority but I hope Russ figures it out after this year.