J.J. McCarthy

12forlife

Reaction score
I think we may have to move up for McCarthy or Daniels? I think they are both worth moving up for? That's just my opinion?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Def. a strong QB draft. A first round QB is not a gimme, never has been. Fingers crossed we pick the right one. Paging Carolina right now............ouch

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
The Athletic has him as Seattle's choice in their mock:
The Article

McCarthy is a polarizing prospect. He has all the tools, and NFL coaches will love the intangibles, but evaluators want to see him put the offense on his back and take over games. It’s not that he can’t, it’s that he hasn’t really needed to given Michigan’s play style and schedule.

General manager John Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll see Seattle as a win-now team, but at some point, they will invest in a young quarterback to develop.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I honestly don't see a scenario where McCarthy is a legit 1st rounder. I think there's a better chance that he stays in school for another year.

Scouts will likely view him more as a 3rd-4th round talent when all is said & done.

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
I honestly don't see a scenario where McCarthy is a legit 1st rounder. I think there's a better chance that he stays in school for another year.

Scouts will likely view him more as a 3rd-4th round talent when all is said & done.
I'll take that bet!! He isn't lasting to pick #20. Please dude stop the talking to hear yourself talk. Watch some film, and check out stats. He may not have eye poping numbers, check out his completion %, then realize he is QB for maybe the best running team in college. Dude can sling the rock. He isn't a finished product yet either.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think he’s more deserving but, I’d be surprised if he goes before the 3rd round.

If we can land him there….I’d be happy 🤗

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'll take that bet!! He isn't lasting to pick #20. Please dude stop the talking to hear yourself talk. Watch some film, and check out stats. He may not have eye poping numbers, check out his completion %, then realize he is QB for maybe the best running team in college. Dude can sling the rock. He isn't a finished product yet either.
No need to get personal. It’s ok if someone doesn’t agree with you on a prospect.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Lol...What's the bet?

Fwiw most here seem to agree with me.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
I think J.J. McCarthy fits well with what Pete and John like in their quarterbacks. He plays the position like a point guard as he distributes the ball well, doesn't turn the ball over, and throws for good yardage without having to throw over forty times a game. He has pretty big hands. I know that's something John has mentioned he likes. It's especially helpful in the rain. He's very mature for being only 21 and is highly competitive after being slighted by Ohio State. Even this year in adversity you could see it in how he helped his team rally without Jim Harbaugh. So he definitely has a chip on his shoulder. He has plenty of time to develop into a great NFL player. There's a lot to like about him and I can definitely see a fit there based off of what they liked in Russell Wilson and Alex McGough. (Even if McGough didn't work out.)

He's probably my top QB prospect that I could see us having a realistic shot at getting. It may mean trading up a few spots at this point but I think we're at a place now where it's more viable compared to last year and this year. Michael Penix and Bo Nix as well could possibly fit the bill.

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
No need to get personal. It’s ok if someone doesn’t agree with you on a prospect.
You are correct, and ill even say everyone is allowed their own opinion. My opinion is no way in this life time McCarthy lasting anywhere near 3-4th rd. Honestly it's just blind ignorance. Either way i'ld be gitty if McCarthy was our QBOTF! Go Hawks!

12forlife

Reaction score

If that is 3rd-4th rd talent I must know what 1st rd talent looks like? If I was a GM, and I'm not, I would take McCarthy 7 days a week and twice on Sundays over kenny Pickett!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I will say, Harbaugh is a good coach to have a quarterback develop under, and McCarthy operates very well within structure.

I think he could be competent right out of the gate, but you really have to wonder what the ceiling on him is with a lack of raw arm talent. Do you want to take the risk on that profile with a significant pick? Can he take you to a Super Bowl?

I think McCarthy ends up anywhere from middling starter to top-tier backup. There's upside depending on where he goes. Had Purdy not become a skilled operator of that 49ers offense, I'd peg him as a great fit there. The Rams also make a lot of sense.

If I had to make a guess now, I'd say Rams in the second round. Maybe Patriots.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You are correct, and ill even say everyone is allowed their own opinion. My opinion is no way in this life time McCarthy lasting anywhere near 3-4th rd. Honestly it's just blind ignorance. Either way i'ld be gitty if McCarthy was our QBOTF! Go Hawks!
I don't think it's blind ignorance. It's just a projection. He has legitimate question marks relating to his ceiling as a prospect. I don't worry about his floor. He's a winner and leader, and he seems to make good decisions.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He does interest me because he does seem to have that special quality that a lot of guys don’t have. I hate wording it that way because it sounds goofy lol but he does

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but when I watch that highlights reel, his arm strength sticks out to me. He also has all day to make those throws as well which he may not in the NFL, but what do I know?
I agree, he doesn't seem to have a plus arm but I don't know much either lol