J.J. McCarthy

gmor

Reaction score
A finely tuned QB with a high completion rate and good mobility. A ttrue competitor for winning, qualitys that should catch the eye of John and Pete. He should still be on the board with our selection.

Cheers
Some mocks have him going to Denver. So I'm hoping you are right. When I've watched him play I thought he successfully did whatever it took for his team to be successful. Having him play behind Geno for a year is starting to sound like a good path going forward.

gmor

Reaction score
I personally never saw much of McCarthy in situations that called for him to be exceptional where I felt he put the team on its back and carried them to victory. I watched a bunch of Michigan football and there was nothing that really stood out about him for me in terms of pure QB talent, other than he seemed like a real leader. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't have much of an idea at all how he might turn out as a pro. At least when I look at Penix I see tremendous arm talent, or with Williams see any number of QB tools that are translatable to the pros. I do find myself a bit surprised to see him slotted as a first round pick in certain mocks.
I think it's all about projecting them in the next few years. McCarthy should grow. Penix might be topped out with the knee situation. I'm hoping and trusting that they do their homework and do pick a QB this year.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
he's not going in the 1st round. He's not proven he can be the focus of an offense and his frame isn't one that lends itself to packing on another much needed 20lbs. He'll be a back up at best or out of the league in 5 years. I'd roll with Geno before wasting a pick on this kid.

12forlife

Reaction score
he's not going in the 1st round. He's not proven he can be the focus of an offense and his frame isn't one that lends itself to packing on another much needed 20lbs. He'll be a back up at best or out of the league in 5 years. I'd roll with Geno before wasting a pick on this kid.
Dude everyone has an opinion. Your negatively towards JJ is exhausting! Yet you never have anything to back up why you feel I he isn't 1st rd talent?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Dude everyone has an opinion. Your negatively towards JJ is exhausting! Yet you never have anything to back up why you feel I he isn't 1st rd talent?
I just told you why in the last post. Too small, has never been the focus of an offense his entire career. Nobody is going to take that resume in the first round. Could he be coached to be an NFL QB? Yes, for sure, but you need the right system and the right coaching. You can't throw this kid to the wolves in year one and that what's usually expected of a first round talent. Clear enough?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
JJ would be a mistake in anything but a late round sit-and-wait type of pick. Another guy who would struggle in a pass heavy offense especially in the middle of the field. Not a deep ball threat. He has average NFL mobility as a QB and while he doesn't have a weak frame, he's not powerful in the run.

As far as positives, NFL arm, strong pocket presence. I don't hate him as a later round pick, but not as a guy you want starting year 1 or even 2.

12forlife

Reaction score
I just told you why in the last post. Too small, has never been the focus of an offense his entire career. Nobody is going to take that resume in the first round. Could he be coached to be an NFL QB? Yes, for sure, but you need the right system and the right coaching. You can't throw this kid to the wolves in year one and that what's usually expected of a first round talent. Clear enough?
Nope! Not at all actually. It's apparent you didn't watch many Michigan games, and I'm not judging you on that, just a simple observation. Curious why you don't feel JJ @ 6'3" is incapable of adding 20-25lbs? Is that not the reason every football program from college up has a weight training coach? Besides he has the exact build of Stroud and that don't seem to matter? So no your point carries no merit at all.
As far as JJ having to carry a team with his arm alone? No he wasn't, he was asked to run Harbaugh's run heavy offense. Obviously JJ must be able to make plays when needed being 27-1. When he was asked to step it up he drops 3 TD's on Alabama.
I will also say JJ would benefit greatly from sitting behind a Vet for a year adjust to NFL speed & Schemes, while getting stronger. Why does that not make him a 1st rd pick?? I mean is Love not worth a 1st rd pick to have your QBOTF?
I'm not gonna keep beating this horse with you over JJ, he has all the intangibles "I'm" looking for in a young QB prospect. Just like any QB he could be just a backup, our I see his ceiling being top 10. With his head, leadership, and character, I'm leaning towards him being Kirk Cousins with better athleticism.