J.J. McCarthy

12forlife

Reaction score
He does interest me because he does seem to have that special quality that a lot of guys don’t have. I hate wording it that way because it sounds goofy lol but he does
No man I get it, he seems to have the "it" factor! I love how he moves, if the play breaks down he keeps eyes up and has great touch when on the move, and can hurt you with his legs if your not paying attention. Honestly reminds me of Early Russell. I really don't see a weak arm, it isn't Josh Allen, but he makes a couple 40 yrd dimes just in the video, what more do you really need? Plus he is only 200# he could easily add 15-20# in the NFL and develop even more arm strength?

Ozzy

Reaction score
No man I get it, he seems to have the "it" factor! I love how he moves, if the play breaks down he keeps eyes up and has great touch when on the move, and can hurt you with his legs if your not paying attention. Honestly reminds me of Early Russell. I really don't see a weak arm, it isn't Josh Allen, but he makes a couple 40 yrd dimes just in the video, what more do you really need? Plus he is only 200# he could easily add 15-20# in the NFL and develop even more arm strength?
Totally possible and a lot of guys excel in the NFL with just average arms too. Look at Purdy, Tua etc

WarHawks

Reaction score
I didn't see any 50 yd bombs, but he looks legit otherwise.

12forlife

Reaction score
I didn't see any 50 yd bombs, but he looks legit otherwise.
??? I said 40 yrd dimes! Not 50 yrd BOMBS! LoL! Don't matter I think the kid has enough of an arm? His grit & constantly showing the offensive guys praise for making big plays really make me like the kid.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
J.J. Has a comfortably about his style, cool under fire thing. in this modern NFL most passes are of the short verity. As long as he can chuck it 25 yards down the field I'm good with that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is part of why I have doubts about McCarthy in the NFL (referring to happenings in the current game)

He has to absolutely put his whole arm into throwing out routes with acceptable zip, wind up and all

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I'll take that bet!! He isn't lasting to pick #20. Please dude stop the talking to hear yourself talk. Watch some film, and check out stats. He may not have eye poping numbers, check out his completion %, then realize he is QB for maybe the best running team in college. Dude can sling the rock. He isn't a finished product yet either.
you're drunk. Not a 1st rounder.

12forlife

Reaction score
you're drunk. Not a 1st rounder.
Hhmmm sorry I don't drink? What did he do wrong tonight of which was asked of him? Did his team win, yep dominatly! Was it a shootout that required him to throw for 300+ yards, nope. Did he do everything he needed to do, I say yes, even with several drops on beautiful passes. McCarthy is only going to continue to improve, and get stronger, he isn't a finished product yet. In my opinion he is alot less of a risk then Anthony Richardson, but McCarthy may have a lower ceiling?

GemCity

Reaction score
This will sound like a lie but…here goes. In recent drafts, my son has predicted the round and player selection for the Hawks a few times and nailed it.

Cross…Walker…JSN and Spoon (although he had JSN and Spoons order messed up).

He’s 11 but…a fanatic.

He’s telling me we’ll get McCarthy in the 3rd.

If he hits this …. I gotta get him a dot
Net hosted show.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hhmmm sorry I don't drink? What did he do wrong tonight of which was asked of him? Did his team win, yep dominatly! Was it a shootout that required him to throw for 300+ yards, nope. Did he do everything he needed to do, I say yes, even with several drops on beautiful passes. McCarthy is only going to continue to improve, and get stronger, he isn't a finished product yet. In my opinion he is alot less of a risk then Anthony Richardson, but McCarthy may have a lower ceiling?
The lack of upside based solely on his arm talent IS the risk. A likely low ceiling is a big risk, more than a low floor is.

12forlife

Reaction score
The lack of upside based solely on his arm talent IS the risk. A likely low ceiling is a big risk, more than a low floor is.
I never said he had a low ceiling? You really seem to dislike McCarthy? He's not the only QB I like, i'ld be ok with Daniels, McCarthy or Penix. Who do you feel is worthy of our 1st rd pick or maybe even more?

Chevy

Reaction score
This will sound like a lie but…here goes. In recent drafts, my son has predicted the round and player selection for the Hawks a few times and nailed it.

Cross…Walker…JSN and Spoon (although he had JSN and Spoons order messed up).

He’s 11 but…a fanatic.

He’s telling me we’ll get McCarthy in the 3rd.

If he hits this …. I gotta get him a dot
Net hosted show.
So who does your son having us taking in the 1st round? : )

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I never said he had a low ceiling? You really seem to dislike McCarthy? He's not the only QB I like, i'ld be ok with Daniels, McCarthy or Penix. Who do you feel is worthy of our 1st rd pick or maybe even more?
Williams, Maye and Daniels are the only guys I'd currently put a first round grade on

Penix kinda fringe, I'd lean second

I like almost everything about McCarthy but I just don't know how good he could end up being with how hard he has to try to put zip on the ball. You wonder if you could ever have a threatening vertical attack with him. Feels like a fatal flaw.

12forlife

Reaction score
Williams, Maye and Daniels are the only guys I'd currently put a first round grade on

I like almost everything about McCarthy but I just don't know how good he could end up being with how hard he has to try to put zip on the ball. You wonder if you could ever have a threatening vertical attack with him. Feels like a fatal flaw.
Idk? I see a bit of what people are saying about looking like he is putting more effort into throws then others. But he gets it there in most cases, and makes good decisions with the ball, very good at protecting the ball. I'll ask this, if Purdy can do what he is doing, I feel McCarthy has Purdy covered in spades!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Idk? I see a bit of what people are saying about looking like he is putting more effort into throws then others. But he gets it there in most cases, and makes good decisions with the ball, very good at protecting the ball. I'll ask this, if Purdy can do what he is doing, I feel McCarthy has Purdy covered in spades!
I think Purdy is an apt comparison, but that's the thing - I don't think Purdy would be very successful if dropped into most other teams. McCarthy can absolutely be a skilled operator at the next level, and he's a total gamer, but I struggle to justify him in the first. I just think you're at too high of a risk of getting an Andy Dalton type as a pro. I'd have no reservations if I wasn't worried about his arm, but the upside is we've seen arms improve in the pros. Andy Dalton is actually a notable example of that - he developed an extra gear of arm strength mid-career around 2015 after reworking his mechanics.

I'm not an expert, though. I've been wrong on quarterbacks as often as I've been right. I lean towards natural playmakers (as in more dangerous dual threats) and developing them into savvier pros in house.

CPHawk

Reaction score
A finely tuned QB with a high completion rate and good mobility. A ttrue competitor for winning, qualitys that should catch the eye of John and Pete. He should still be on the board with our selection.

Cheers
I’d bet there are 10 other QBs in college last year, who would have also won a natty with that Michigan team around them. He’s not a “commander” or “field general”, he is a game manager.

NoGain

Reaction score
I personally never saw much of McCarthy in situations that called for him to be exceptional where I felt he put the team on its back and carried them to victory. I watched a bunch of Michigan football and there was nothing that really stood out about him for me in terms of pure QB talent, other than he seemed like a real leader. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't have much of an idea at all how he might turn out as a pro. At least when I look at Penix I see tremendous arm talent, or with Williams see any number of QB tools that are translatable to the pros. I do find myself a bit surprised to see him slotted as a first round pick in certain mocks.

WarHawks

Reaction score

JJ reminds me a lot of a young Brady. Cool under pressure, makes great decisions, accurate. I don't remember Brady having a cannon either when he was young. He grew into that didn't he? We're not going to get a finished product. They will have to grow into the position. I like JJ, and won't be surprised if he does well in the combine. I would be on board wherever they decide to take him, first round grade or not. I would be surprised if he lasts until the 3rd, unless he stinks at the combine.

Last edited: