Jalen Carter

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Carter's PFF grade: 92.2 -> second to Aaron Donald in pressures, prwr, and double team prwr.
Spoon's PFF grade: 79.7 -> tied with Branch for 2nd highest-rated rookie corner behind Gonzalez.

I understand being excited for Spoon. I don't understand some people's need to dunk on those who wanted Carter.
Maybe because BOTH teams got a solid player? Spoon is going to be a hell of a player, for a long time, imo.
Who cares about a guy on another team?
Go Hawks
Go Spoon

knownone

Reaction score
Maybe because BOTH teams got a solid player? Spoon is going to be a hell of a player, for a long time, imo.
Who cares about a guy on another team?
Go Hawks
Go Spoon
Evidently, a lot of people care. The discussion is ongoing because people want validation for their opinions.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Carter's PFF grade: 92.2 -> second to Aaron Donald in pressures, prwr, and double team prwr.
Spoon's PFF grade: 79.7 -> tied with Branch for 2nd highest-rated rookie corner behind Gonzalez.

I understand being excited for Spoon. I don't understand some people's need to dunk on those who wanted Carter.
PFF is also a bunch of guys in a garage

warden

Reaction score
we signed Reed and Jones to be our defensive tackles and that is really working out well for us so far. Having two shut down corners that are at such a young age is a serious game changer

Boohman14

Reaction score
Yes. He's been that dominant.

If you watch the film, you'll notice that he's doing this while often being doubled. He's winning a lot of the time. He's a handful for anyone.
What's amazing about Carter is that it usually takes a d-lineman a couple of seasons to make a real impact. Carter's game will improve. He was the best layer in the draft. But we have a gem in 'Spoon so I'm fine with the choice.

toffee

Reaction score
What's amazing about Carter is that it usually takes a d-lineman a couple of seasons to make a real impact. Carter's game will improve. He was the best layer in the draft. But we have a gem in 'Spoon so I'm fine with the choice.
Why is Carter the best player in the draft? For me, the best player would be the player that could influence his team's success. Carter is a player never stayed in the game enough to take all the snaps. How could a part time player be the best?

CactusJack

Reaction score
Why is Carter the best player in the draft? For me, the best player would be the player that could influence his team's success. Carter is a player never stayed in the game enough to take all the snaps. How could a part time player be the best?
You can make a case that both guys we're worth taking with the 5th pick.

I don't think there's much debate about Carter being the most dominant D-lineman to come out in this draft. He's just that good of a player.

Spoon also looks like a special player in his own right.

toffee

Reaction score
You can make a case that both guys we're worth taking with the 5th pick.

I don't think there's much debate about Carter being the most dominant D-lineman to come out in this draft. He's just that good of a player.

Spoon also looks like a special player in his own right.
He can only dominated if he plays, and he only play part time. IMHO, he is at best, the best defense player when is he plays.

GemCity

Reaction score
We’re not the only team that passed on Carter.
No question that he’s dominant.

We were bit before…..and we ended up with a pretty damn good alternative.

I hope both of them have HOF careers.

With that said, I love our choice and can’t wait to rock my white Nike 21 🥄 jersey at the Hawks vs Bengals game in two weeks!

Boohman14

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love what Spoon brings to the Defense. Yes he seems to quickly understand the concepts playing a new position. He is a tone setter on defense much like Adams can be. Carter looks as strong as Reggie White in moving people and disrupting offenses. He's going to be special. They're both worthy of where they were picked. I don't have any buyer's remorse over Spoon like many posters but I see where they're coming from. I personally, tend to favor D-line over any positions on Defense as they can help out the DBs in making plays buy hurrying passes and shutting down the run.

knownone

Reaction score
Carter only plays 50% of the snaps because the Eagles have an elite defensive line rotation. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be an elite everydown player. We saw this with Avril and Bennett in 2013. They played every down when Clemons and Bryant left in free agency.

I'll reiterate what I said after the draft. My only concern with Spoon was how well he'd hold up physically with such an aggressive play style. He's a 180-pound corner who plays like a linebacker. Carter was the opposite. He was the best DT prospect in five or ten years. The only question mark, for me, was his work ethic and character.

I thought we were relatively deep at corner, so I would have gambled on Carter. The risk seemed worth the reward. But I understand why people wanted Spoon, and it looks like a great pick.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Carter only plays 50% of the snaps because the Eagles have an elite defensive line rotation. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be an elite everydown player. We saw this with Avril and Bennett in 2013. They played every down when Clemons and Bryant left in free agency.

I'll reiterate what I said after the draft. My only concern with Spoon was how well he'd hold up physically with such an aggressive play style. He's a 180-pound corner who plays like a linebacker. Carter was the opposite. He was the best DT prospect in five or ten years. The only question mark, for me, was his work ethic and character.

I thought we were relatively deep at corner, so I would have gambled on Carter. The risk seemed worth the reward. But I understand why people wanted Spoon, and it looks like a great pick.
Carter also played similar snap counts in college, which many attributed to his conditioning. His career will certainly be interesting to watch.

toffee

Reaction score
Carter also played similar snap counts in college, which many attributed to his conditioning. His career will certainly be interesting to watch.
I have been trying to Google for his college snap counts but couldn't find anything. But I did read somewhere that he seldom of ever played more than 60% of snaps in Georgia.